Advice needed

Old June 27th 06, 05:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Advice needed

I've a Konica Minolta 5D and have found the inbuilt flash too small for

photos inside at a distance of more than about 4m. What sort of size
flash would people recommend?
John
(ps tried this on rec.photo.digital but got no response - thought the
slr group may know more)

Not sure what to do with all those digital photos? Are they in danger
of being lost due to a computer crash or scratch on a CD/DVD?
Get 5Gb of free online storage (room for 3000+ photos) at
www.pictureofhealth.myphotomax.com [Click “Sign up now!”]
 Your photos will be backed up in granite vaults, guaranteed
never
to be deleted.
 Free sharing of photos without clogging emails
 No minimum level of activity required
 20 Free Prints [currently available in US only]

Old June 27th 06, 01:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Kiwiski wrote:
I've a Konica Minolta 5D and have found the inbuilt flash too small for

photos inside at a distance of more than about 4m. What sort of size
flash would people recommend?
John
(ps tried this on rec.photo.digital but got no response - thought the
slr group may know more)

Well, I guess it depends on what you are trying to illuminate.
I got the 2500D on the basis that it was the cheapest dedicated KM
flash for the 5D.
I wanted a unit that would provide bounce flash with a reasonable
recycle time and enough power to take pictures of my kids across the
hall at parties and school shows, and it does that just fine.

Old June 27th 06, 01:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Kiwiski wrote:
I've a Konica Minolta 5D and have found the inbuilt flash too small for

photos inside at a distance of more than about 4m. What sort of size
flash would people recommend?
John
(ps tried this on rec.photo.digital but got no response - thought the
slr group may know more)

If you are looking for advise don't include an ad.

Small strobes that attach to your camera, the ones I know of are made
by, Sigma, Metz, Vivitar, there are others too, don't know if Sony has
one out. You probably only want a hot shoe strobe, I'd recommend one
with a moveable head so you can bounce the flash. I'd also recommend
spending ans extra $20 on a Lumiquest reflector to diffuse the flash. I
like Metz flash units, they are the most accurate ones I know. I'd go
to a photostore to check out different models.

Tom

Old June 28th 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Thanks for both of these replies - helpful. Defintely a bouncing
flash. I'll see what is available here along the lines you two have
recommended.

Old July 3rd 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Kiwiski wrote:
I've a Konica Minolta 5D and have found the inbuilt flash too small for

photos inside at a distance of more than about 4m. What sort of size
flash would people recommend?

Change your ISO to 400 might be a good start. That will increase your
range by double from ISO 100.

Try the 3600HS or 5600HS accessory flashes. That will really boost your
range and allow bounce off the ceiling or other reflector to soften the
light.

Cheers,
Alan

Old July 18th 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Minister of Information

Any comments about the Quantarary PZ-1 DSZ? My wife gifted me with it for
Father's Day.

--
KiMoMi Models & Photographers
http://www.kimomi.net

Old July 18th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
jeremy

"Minister of Information" wrote in message
. ..
Any comments about the Quantarary PZ-1 DSZ? My wife gifted me with it for
Father's Day.

Ritz Camera thanks her! It's those high-margin generic products that make
their salesmen smile!

Sorry to be so sarcastic, but Quanteray products are best utilized as
doorstops, not serious gear.

Old July 19th 06, 04:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Kevin Agard

jeremy wrote:

Sorry to be so sarcastic, but Quanteray products are best utilized as
doorstops, not serious gear.

Why?

I've have a QTB 9500 and another smaller one (can't remember the model
#) that I've used for years with my various Maxxum bodies. I've found
both to be fine. Their modular design, allowing the use of the units
interchangeably with all of my equipment is also a plus, as is the C
cell based off camera grips. Hell the Maxxum module even allows the
units to work on my 7Ds. Neither has ever given me the slightest
problem and both are still going strong.

So I'll ask again, why?

KMA