2 General camera questions

Old November 4th 07, 01:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paulie

Default 2 General camera questions

I have 2 questions I hope you can answer.

1) What camera brand to avoid?
2) I'm wanting to buy a camera under $200 to put in luggage or
car glove box. One that may take a bit of abuse.

Thank you all for suggestions.

Paulie
Old November 4th 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 13:10:35 +0000, Paulie wrote:

I have 2 questions I hope you can answer.

1) What camera brand to avoid?

Avoid for what reason? Personally, I avoid canon because of their total
lack of Linux support and I avoid Fuji for past business practices. Other
than that the world is my oyster. Caveats: I also avoid anything using
proprietary memory cards i.e. xd or memory stick - other than that, I'll
look at olympus and sony models - thinking stronly about a Sony Alpha.

2) I'm wanting to buy a camera under $200 to put in luggage or
car glove box. One that may take a bit of abuse.

Suggest you look at the Kodak online store for refurb products - I've
purchased cameras (two from Kodak - a 1mp DC210+ and a P850), scanners and
printers refurbished - always saved a good deal of money and never had a
single problem - all still running.

Old November 4th 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Marvin[_2_]

Paulie wrote:
I have 2 questions I hope you can answer.

1) What camera brand to avoid?
2) I'm wanting to buy a camera under $200 to put in luggage or
car glove box. One that may take a bit of abuse.

Thank you all for suggestions.

Paulie

I doubt that any camera will stand up well to the high
temperatures in a car's glove box in the summer.
Old November 4th 07, 05:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

Marvin wrote:
Paulie wrote:
2) I'm wanting to buy a camera under $200 to put in luggage or
car glove box. One that may take a bit of abuse.

I doubt that any camera will stand up well to the high
temperatures in a car's glove box in the summer.

Very true for film, but AFAIK not an issue for digital.
Does anyone have a credible source to the contratry?

jue

Old November 4th 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pat

On Nov 4, 8:10 am, Paulie wrote:
I have 2 questions I hope you can answer.

1) What camera brand to avoid?
2) I'm wanting to buy a camera under $200 to put in luggage or
car glove box. One that may take a bit of abuse.

Thank you all for suggestions.

Paulie

The best rumble-around-in-your-glove-box-until-you-need-it camera is a
waterproof, disposable. Waterproof. Dust proof. Small size. Low
cost. No loss if stolen. Durable. Can be processed and put on
disk. Water/rain proof.

Old November 4th 07, 06:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paulie

ray wrote in
news
On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 13:10:35 +0000, Paulie wrote:

I have 2 questions I hope you can answer.

1) What camera brand to avoid?

Avoid for what reason?

Just any reason.

Personally, I avoid canon because of
their total lack of Linux support and I avoid Fuji for past
business practices. Other than that the world is my oyster.
Caveats: I also avoid anything using proprietary memory cards
i.e. xd or memory stick - other than that, I'll look at
olympus and sony models - thinking stronly about a Sony Alpha.

2) I'm wanting to buy a camera under $200 to put in luggage
or
car glove box. One that may take a bit of abuse.

Suggest you look at the Kodak online store for refurb products
- I've purchased cameras (two from Kodak - a 1mp DC210+ and a
P850), scanners and printers refurbished - always saved a good
deal of money and never had a single problem - all still
running.

Thank you so much for your insight! Appreciate it.

Old November 4th 07, 06:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paulie

Pat wrote in

The best rumble-around-in-your-glove-box-until-you-need-it
camera is a waterproof, disposable. Waterproof. Dust proof.
Small size. Low cost. No loss if stolen. Durable. Can be
processed and put on disk. Water/rain proof.

I have one of those already.

I'm looking for a rugged digital camera that is reasonable in
price. And which brand to avoid.

Thanks.
Old November 4th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_4_]

Paulie wrote:
[]
I have one of those already.

I'm looking for a rugged digital camera that is reasonable in
price. And which brand to avoid.

Thanks.

I have been very happy with Panasonic compact cameras, so I would suggest
you don't avoid that brand. I would avoid brands which are not
"well-known". I think the Panasonic TZ3 is reasonably rugged and
reasonable in price, but it's not designed to be highly ruggedised - that
would be inconsistent with "reasonable in price". Cameras are precision
optical instruments (or they should be G) and should be treated
accordingly to get the best out of them.

Cheers,
David

Old November 4th 07, 07:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mr. Strat

In article .net,
Paulie wrote:

1) What camera brand to avoid?

Sigma
Old November 4th 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Allen

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 07:03:47 -0700
ray wrote:

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 13:10:35 +0000, Paulie wrote:

1) What camera brand to avoid?

[...] Personally, I avoid canon because of their
total lack of Linux support

Really? I wasn't aware that Canon was any worse than the rest
in this regard. Would you care to elaborate?

and I avoid Fuji for past business
practices. [...]

I avoided them this last time around because they just seemed
a bit strange. All of the camera makers seem to be in bed with
the Microsoft monopoly. Has Fuji done something worse than that?
:-)

Paul Allen