gimp on linux

Old August 22nd 06, 01:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

Default gimp on linux

"Ivan Danicic" wrote:
"Neil Ellwood" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 17:16:04 -0700, Bill Tuthill wrote:

Ivan Danicic wrote:
Hello all, I find that certain important features of gimp don't work on
linux e.g. unsharp mask. It woks well on windows XP. Has anyone else
experienced this?

Nope. It works for me.
Perhaps some plug-in or library module wasn't installed.

It does here. I don't know about windows - I only use it for scanning.
--
Neil
Delete l to reply

Hello All, your comments gave me confidence to try again. I found this: on
linux unsharp mask worked only on a copy of the image window and there is no
preview.
On winXP it works on the original image and there is a preview. Curious!
Thanks,

1) You have an *old* version of GIMP (no preview).
2) Try doing "Select - All" before you run the USM.

Regardless, update your gimp to something not quite so long of
tooth, because in addition to the preview there are *lots* of
other nice things.

I've just moved to Version 2.3.9, which they say is the last
step before releasing 2.4. I'm still stumbling over some of the
differences, so I can't really say how much better it is or why,
but so far nothing has really annoyed me.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old August 22nd 06, 01:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Michael Meissner

"Ivan Danicic" writes:

Hello all, I find that certain important features of gimp don't work on
linux e.g. unsharp mask. It woks well on windows XP. Has anyone else
experienced this? Any comments gratefully received.

I dunno, it works for me, on 2.2.10 ie. Filters - Enhance - Unsharp Mask.
Could you have a different version of gimp on your Linux system than Windows,
and the location of the unsharp mask changed? I recall there was a big change
between 1.x and 2.x gimp. I haven't played with the 2.4 betas, but there might
be a change there as well.

--
Michael Meissner
email:
Old August 22nd 06, 02:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

Paul Allen wrote:
On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 22:00:18 GMT
no_name wrote:

Ivan Danicic wrote:

Hello all, I find that certain important features of gimp don't
work on linux e.g. unsharp mask. It woks well on windows XP. Has
anyone else experienced this? Any comments gratefully received.
Ivan

Interesting, since AFAIK Gimp was originally written specifically for
Linux (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

Well, Unix, anyway. The earliest versions of the GIMP required Motif,
which was an expensive add-on on Linux systems. I used the GIMP on
Suns years before I ever saw it running on Linux.

It was running on Linux, using Lesstif (a free Motif) in 1996. Before
that it required Motif libraries (~$150) to compile, but free binaries
were available too.

I'll admit that I certainly never bothered to buy Motif... but
really $150 doesn't make it "expensive" when you also talk about
running it on a Sun workstation... ;-(

The OP didn't say which distribution or which version of the GIMP he's
using. In any event, unsharp mask works fine here on Fedora Core 5,
GIMP 2.2.12.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old August 23rd 06, 07:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
frederick

Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

I've just moved to Version 2.3.9, which they say is the last
step before releasing 2.4. I'm still stumbling over some of the
differences, so I can't really say how much better it is or why,
but so far nothing has really annoyed me.

I've had a look at it too. It has lanczos interpolation - seems to work
fine although I note that it is included in the bug list for misbehaving
in "undo". Didn't seem to be a problem to me.
Supposed Colour Management may be a bit overstated. From what I can see
there is no colour aware printing. Compatibility with ICC V4 for
printing seems to me to be the whole desirable end-point of colour
management (then again I'm concerned about getting as close as possible
to the same from my printer as I can see on screen - and I couldn't give
a rat's $%#& if an image I post on the web looks different on your
monitor than mine - as it will be yours that is profiled wrong anyway!)
Old August 23rd 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allodoxaphobia

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 21:49:20 GMT, Ivan Danicic wrote:
Hello all, I find that certain important features of gimp don't work on
linux e.g. unsharp mask. It woks well on windows XP. Has anyone else
experienced this? Any comments gratefully received.
Ivan

Asking this in

comp.graphics.apps.gimp

would yield answers -- not "guesses".
Old August 23rd 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ivan Danicic

"Allodoxaphobia" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 21:49:20 GMT, Ivan Danicic wrote:
Hello all, I find that certain important features of gimp don't work on
linux e.g. unsharp mask. It woks well on windows XP. Has anyone else
experienced this? Any comments gratefully received.
Ivan

Asking this in

comp.graphics.apps.gimp

would yield answers -- not "guesses".

Thanks, I'll try that too.
Ivan

Any GIMP users (Linux) joe mama Digital Photography 78 July 9th 06 12:09 AM
Viruses opium Digital Photography 146 February 15th 06 05:47 AM
Your choice of editing software? RobG Digital Photography 33 December 4th 05 05:21 PM
Apple releases Photoshop killer: Aperture. Where's GIMP? Karen Hill Digital Photography 53 November 3rd 05 05:25 PM
OsX compared to Linux and BeOS Jack Malmostoso 35mm Photo Equipment 13 February 14th 05 03:24 PM