Remote control (or movement sensor) on compact camera?

Old August 22nd 06, 04:19 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Jax

Default Remote control (or movement sensor) on compact camera?

I want to take some pictures of animal and wildlife.

How much does one have to spend here in the UK to get a compact digital
camera which has a remote control which lets me fire the shutter when I
press a button?

Alternatively is it possible to get a reasonably-priced compact digital
camera which will take a picture when it senses movement in the picture
area?
Old August 22nd 06, 07:45 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Bob Salomon

In article , Jax
wrote:

I want to take some pictures of animal and wildlife.

How much does one have to spend here in the UK to get a compact digital
camera which has a remote control which lets me fire the shutter when I
press a button?

Alternatively is it possible to get a reasonably-priced compact digital
camera which will take a picture when it senses movement in the picture
area?

From what distance? daylight or night? Camera in window or outdoors?

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old August 22nd 06, 10:49 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Alex Butcher

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 16:19:52 +0100, Jax wrote:

I want to take some pictures of animal and wildlife.

How much does one have to spend here in the UK to get a compact digital
camera which has a remote control which lets me fire the shutter when I
press a button?

My Olympus C-750 has an IR remote, and I'm pretty sure its replacement,
the C-770 does too. Pricerunner says you can get a 770 for 177.87 inc from
Info-Tech Systems (but note that they have some stinky reviews on
Pricerunner, FWIW!).

Unfortunately, I think Olympus have dropped this feature from their
'Creative' range of cameras.

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher, Bristol UK. PGP/GnuPG ID:0x5010dbff

"[T]he whole point about the reason why I think it is important we go for
identity cards and an identity database today is that identity fraud and
abuse is a major, major problem. Now the civil liberties aspect of it, look
it is a view, I don't personally think it matters very much."
- Tony Blair, 6 June 2006 http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page9566.asp

Old August 23rd 06, 03:22 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
George K

Look at Harbortonics for some possible solutions. The make controllers
and are going to offer an outdoor solar powered timelapse housing.

http://www.harbortronics.com/

Old August 23rd 06, 05:59 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Matt Ion

Jax wrote:
I want to take some pictures of animal and wildlife.

How much does one have to spend here in the UK to get a compact digital
camera which has a remote control which lets me fire the shutter when I
press a button?

Alternatively is it possible to get a reasonably-priced compact digital
camera which will take a picture when it senses movement in the picture
area?

It wouldn't be hard to wire a standard passive-IR motion sensor (the type used
in home alarm systems) with a remote wire to trigger the camera... powering it
would be the only issue, but they don't draw a lot, so it could run on battery
for quite a while.
Old August 23rd 06, 06:22 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Alex Butcher

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 09:12:22 +0100, Dale Grimsley wrote:

Own up you just want to take pictures of 'doggers'

Smiley noted, but I've found the IR remote useful for a) self-portraits
and b) long-exposure shots on a tripod (e.g. fireworks) where pressing the
button on the camera can cause the camera to shake for a few moments
afterwards.

Best Regards,
Alex.

Old August 23rd 06, 06:31 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
thoss

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 Jax wrote:

I want to take some pictures of animal and wildlife.

How much does one have to spend here in the UK to get a compact digital
camera which has a remote control which lets me fire the shutter when I
press a button?

Pentax do two remote controls which fit many of their cameras - with and
without remote zoom control. These are infra-red, and the sensor on my
750Z is on the front of the camera, which may not be the most convenient
position. Mine cost about £20.
--
Thoss

Old August 23rd 06, 09:50 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Dave

George K wrote:
Look at Harbortonics for some possible solutions. The make controllers
and are going to offer an outdoor solar powered timelapse housing.

http://www.harbortronics.com/

Agreed. They're very helpful - I got a call about an order at 9.00am,
which is midnight their time.