A letter to the CEO of Pentax Corporation

Old January 19th 06, 07:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default A letter to the CEO of Pentax Corporation

http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh/A_...rporation.html

The letter was sent out by registered mail on 3.1.06 but it is rather
disappointed that there has been no response of any kind from Pentax so
far. I also discovered that inside the viewfinder of my "repaired" *ist
DS there was a small portion of an underneath optical element had been
broken when I got it back after the "repair" by Pentax Japan. Indeed, I
had added this in the letter to the CEO too, right before I sent it out
by post.

I posted this case at the Dpreview Pentax SLR Forum and updated the
forum readers the latest progress. But very unfortunately the day
before I got banned suddenly without any reason given (not even to
mention if the reason is fair and reasonable or NOT), despite I have
sent two enquiry emails to Mr. Phil Askey for asking WHY. They just
ignore me totally. (Well, yes, I know that Phil Askey and his staff has
the sole rights to censor any speech at his *private* forum!)

Oh, too bad and I think I can see a very dark side of this world. So, I
just wish to ask what is "Consumer Rights" in this planet? Noted that
my Pentax *ist DS DSLR is indeed still under warranty but it has been
destroyed now and the first service request was made on 9.9.05 when I
just bought it less than two months and obvious AF problems were found.

Any comments and anyone can help and tell what I can do now?? TIA for
any assistance!

Old January 19th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

RiceHigh wrote:
http://www.geocities.com/

This was posted and answered ad naseum in Comp.gr.apps.photoshop.

--
John McWilliams
Old January 19th 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

RiceHigh wrote:

I posted this case at the Dpreview Pentax SLR Forum and updated the
forum readers the latest progress. But very unfortunately the day
before I got banned suddenly without any reason given (not even to
mention if the reason is fair and reasonable or NOT), despite I have
sent two enquiry emails to Mr. Phil Askey for asking WHY. They just
ignore me totally. (Well, yes, I know that Phil Askey and his staff has
the sole rights to censor any speech at his *private* forum!)

Any comments and anyone can help and tell what I can do now?? TIA for
any assistance!

The letter was rambling, and way too long. You can file a lawsuit
against them in small claims court. They won't show up, and then you'll
have to find a way to collect, which will be impossible.

As to dpreview, that site is okay for camera reviews, but the forums are
run with an iron hand. Even the reviews are often of limited value, as
it is almost unheard of for a camera to get anything less than
"Recommended," they are simply terrified to say anything bad, even when
it's true.

I guess what you can do now is to write it off, and switch to Nikon or
Canon.

Old January 19th 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

They can't say anything bad. If they did they wouldn't be supplied with
review units of the cameras. Plain and simple. When doing reviews for the
most part you need to be fully prepared to pucker up and kiss some hind end.
Otherwise find something else to do.

Old January 19th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 09:56:19 -0800, SMS
wrote:

RiceHigh wrote:

I posted this case at the Dpreview Pentax SLR Forum and updated the
forum readers the latest progress. But very unfortunately the day
before I got banned suddenly without any reason given (not even to
mention if the reason is fair and reasonable or NOT), despite I have
sent two enquiry emails to Mr. Phil Askey for asking WHY. They just
ignore me totally. (Well, yes, I know that Phil Askey and his staff has
the sole rights to censor any speech at his *private* forum!)

Any comments and anyone can help and tell what I can do now?? TIA for
any assistance!

The letter was rambling, and way too long. You can file a lawsuit
against them in small claims court. They won't show up, and then you'll
have to find a way to collect, which will be impossible.

Out of curiosity, what would the lawsuit be for?

As to dpreview, that site is okay for camera reviews, but the forums are
run with an iron hand. Even the reviews are often of limited value, as
it is almost unheard of for a camera to get anything less than
"Recommended," they are simply terrified to say anything bad, even when
it's true.

I guess what you can do now is to write it off, and switch to Nikon or
Canon.

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"
Old January 19th 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

HornBlower wrote:
They can't say anything bad. If they did they wouldn't be supplied with
review units of the cameras. Plain and simple. When doing reviews for the

My pointing out it had been hashed out in another NG was a subtle plea
to not repeat this crap here.

--
John McWilliams
Old January 20th 06, 01:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

RiceHigh wrote:

http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh/A_...rporation.html

The letter was sent out by registered mail on 3.1.06 but it is rather

I think you mean 2006.01.03.

disappointed that there has been no response of any kind from Pentax so
far. I also discovered that inside the viewfinder of my "repaired" *ist

I wrote a regular post letter, much less complex (hint) than your letter
to Minolta a couple years ago. Right to the CEO. It took about 6 weeks
and I got a very succinct reply from someone in the appropriate
division. These things take time to wend their way. Your letter is so
long and complex that it will likely take forever to wend its way.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old January 20th 06, 06:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

I still hope that the CEO or his staff will reply me and I shall wait
for that to see if one day it really happens.

But btw in the meantime, I am well prepared to start a new DSLR lineup,
I think that's the most practical thing I can do and need to do now.

Thanks for sharing your "CEO" experience too. See you.

Old January 22nd 06, 03:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I see that at Dpreview, nearly all reviews are glowing, especially
those Canon ones. Occasionally, there are some really "bad" reviews
(what I mean "bad" is about the rating given by Phil Askey). The Fuji
S3 Pro review is a good example. But it is very strange that the sample
photos are excellent and indeed is somehow better than those many DSLRs
in the "highly recommended" reviews. Sometimes, I have really no idea
on how Phil Askey gave his rating and why and how come the big
difference in his yardstickS.

Recently, I am considering the 5D and downloaded a bundle of sample
photos from Dpreview and Steve Digicams and I was surprised to find a
big difference in image quality. Despite Phil Askey did make a remark
on the corner performance of the 5D camera, he still made the highest
rating for the 5D. Fortunately, I can see how worst the corner
performance of the 5D even with L lens mount. I think Steve has done a
very good and decent job for his honesty and braveness to publish and
point out this 5D weakness. I think after his 5D review, the situation
what HornBlower suggested would happen to Steve.

Anyone who interested can go to both review sites to have a look and
compare for those sample photos.

Actually Dpreview.com is the most famous and popular online review site
now. It is an UK site and I think Steve Digicams is an US one, btw. All
in all, I don't think it is something geographically dependent on your
suggestion about standards and reliability. I think the standards,
honesty of editors or even braveness are much more personal dependent,
IMHO.

Best Regards,
RiceHigh

http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh