PowerShot A75 not as good as I thought?

Old November 14th 04, 07:05 PM
Jeffrey Stetz

Default PowerShot A75 not as good as I thought?

Well, it was $150, it had manual controls, and most common-folk raved about
the Canon A75. I haven't had many complaints in the week that I've used it,
mostly indoors, but I did think the images were a little soft. I am no
professional, but even set on a tripod with good lighting, I felt they were
not sharp enough. So, then I found a post in this group about the whole
Canon A line being junk and Canon's "undersharpening" and I have no problem
returning the camera if I decide to while it's still within the return
period.

Only problem is what do I buy instead? I would go up to $200 (street prices,
found on pricegrabber.com or such, not store prices), but I want manual
controls, and that's why I bought the A75. I've heard that the A80 is better
in picture quality. The Nikon 3100/3200 have no manual controls, so even if
people say those take better pics, I really really don't want it to be fully
automatic, so that's why I originally chose the A75.

Can you advise me, please?

BTW, here's a shot I took with the A75 of my cat: http://tinyurl.com/55krd

Old November 14th 04, 08:12 PM
Psych-O-Delic Voodoo Thunder Pig

BTW, here's a shot I took with the A75 of my cat:
http://tinyurl.com/55krd

I don't think you're going to do better, given your budget.

Old November 14th 04, 08:22 PM
Jeffrey Stetz

OK. What's the next realistic level? $250? $350? I can buy a digital Rebel
for $350 with a little bit of work and selling my film Rebel, so that's why
I wanted to stick to lower bracket until I "grew up" into a DSLR.

Old November 14th 04, 10:45 PM
Mark B.

"Jeffrey Stetz" wrote in message
OK. What's the next realistic level? $250? $350? I can buy a digital Rebel
for $350 with a little bit of work and selling my film Rebel, so that's
why
I wanted to stick to lower bracket until I "grew up" into a DSLR.

You won't like a DSLR any better, particularly a Canon. Canon takes a very
conservative approach to in-camera processing, leaving most of it up to the
user. They will 'look' soft when in fact images out of a Canon DSLR respond
very favorably to an unsharp mask.

Mark

Old November 14th 04, 11:25 PM
Jeffrey Stetz

Are you suggesting I could improve the images I have now by an unsharp mask?
I will try to play with it in photoshop... What would you suggest as good
resources for this information? Thanks

Old November 14th 04, 11:49 PM
Ronald Hands

Jeffrey Stetz wrote:

Are you suggesting I could improve the images I have now by an unsharp mask?

It's my understanding that *all* digital pictures can be improved by
unsharp mask.
I know it's true with my A75 and also with its predecessor, an A40.
I use Photoshop Elements 2.0. Delighted with results on both cameras.
Just got back nine 8 x 10s from the processor, taken on a recent trip to
Paris, which my wife will be putting in albums, along with many 4 x 6s.
I'm prejudiced, of course, but I think the 8 x 10s are dazzling.
Even though I have a good 17 inch monitor, I don't think any monitor can
give you a true representation of what can be achieved in a print.

-- Ron

Old November 15th 04, 09:05 PM
Eatmorepies

Can you advise me, please?

BTW, here's a shot I took with the A75 of my cat:

http://tinyurl.com/55krd

That's a very tidy picture from a cheap digital camera. The A80 would do a
better job but at more cost.

With such a close up you can expect the depth of field to be limited, where
the picture is sharp it is sharp enough to compliment Canon on their economy
optics.

Sorry - I don't think you have anything to complain about. If you want
better snaps, pay a lot more money.

John

Old November 15th 04, 09:05 PM
Eatmorepies

Can you advise me, please?

BTW, here's a shot I took with the A75 of my cat:

http://tinyurl.com/55krd

That's a very tidy picture from a cheap digital camera. The A80 would do a
better job but at more cost.

With such a close up you can expect the depth of field to be limited, where
the picture is sharp it is sharp enough to compliment Canon on their economy
optics.

Sorry - I don't think you have anything to complain about. If you want
better snaps, pay a lot more money.

John

Is the Olympus C-765 a good digital camera ? kf Digital Photography 3 November 9th 04 05:18 AM
Old stuff still good Chris Brown Medium Format Photography Equipment 73 November 4th 04 03:13 AM
Canon 100-400mm 5.6 IS Good? Sane Digital Photography 68 August 23rd 04 07:02 AM
canon powershot a300: any good ? Fr@nk Digital Photography 18 August 14th 04 02:00 AM