Dearth of new camera releases

Old May 6th 10, 10:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Drazic

Default Dearth of new camera releases

"Doug McDonald" wrote in message
On 5/4/2010 6:15 AM, Drazic wrote:

Just out of interest, what do you want the camera's to do that they
can't at the moment?

It's not a dig, just interested.

I'll tell what I want:

1) better autofocus. This means a smaller spots, all of which are
full X style and work at f/2.8. It also means they actually work
and actually focus on what they are aimed at.

2) a histogram superimposed on a Live View so one can
adjust exposure while aiming the camera. This should be
the histogram for RAW mode files, not after JPEGization.

Other than that, my current camera, an old 30D, works fine.

Doug McDonald

I thought the 7D has all X-type AF points, spot AF and dynamic EV
compensation in live view mode?

With regards to the X-type focus points, I'm not sure they are as big a deal
as people make them out to be. Don't get me wrong, I welcome them too,
however a few years back I thought I'd see what all the fuss was about, and
the only way I could a non X-type camera (20D) to fail to focus was by
putting one of the outer focus points on a vertical door frame with the
camera in landscape position. However, in real situations, I've never had a
problem. Maybe it depends on what you're shooting/lens speed.

As per the histogram, even if it does use the preview JPEG, on the bright
side surely it will give you more room for error during post. But, I assume
that maybe you use the histogram/blinking display to determine whether
you've blown out a white background, but when you get it in post you find
out there is still detail?

Old May 6th 10, 10:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Drazic

"John A." wrote in message
On Tue, 04 May 2010 18:55:47 -0500, Rich wrote:

"Drazic" wrote in
t:

"RichA" wrote in message
.
..
Dear camera makers; reducing releases of cameras in a recession
makes about as much sense as cutting back advertising to save money.
All you do is allow your competition to take (and keep) market share.
If the market has shrunk from 100 to 80 (arbitrary numbers) do think
being LESS visible is going to help your company?? You are now
fighting over a smaller pie, so get the F--- in there and produce
something.

I think it's more about the importance of releasing something that
people want/need, at a reasonable price.

To try and put it into perspective, people will pay more for a car
with air con, but they don't really care about digital climate
control, as long as it blows cold air when they need it. Sure digital
climate control with individual temperatures on each side looks good,
but it doesn't really serve a useful purpose.

Just out of interest, what do you want the camera's to do that they
can't at the moment?

It's not a dig, just interested.

Switch sensors at will.

Which one's Will?

I think it's a small town in Illinois.

Old May 6th 10, 11:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Drazic

"Drazic" wrote in message

Speaking of AF, has anyone used a 7D when panning? Or more specifically,
the custom function for 'AI Servo Tracking Sensitivity' when panning?

One of the major p*ss offs for missing a shot with AF was when panning a
moving subject and the AF would suddenly try to focus on an object in the
foreground that briefly got in the way.

Curious to know how well it works, particularly from anyone who shoots
birds/airplanes/sports.

Old May 6th 10, 12:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Russ D

On Thu, 6 May 2010 11:20:22 +0100, "Drazic" wrote:

"Drazic" wrote in message
.. .

Speaking of AF, has anyone used a 7D when panning? Or more specifically,
the custom function for 'AI Servo Tracking Sensitivity' when panning?

One of the major p*ss offs for missing a shot with AF was when panning a
moving subject and the AF would suddenly try to focus on an object in the
foreground that briefly got in the way.

Curious to know how well it works, particularly from anyone who shoots
birds/airplanes/sports.

These situations will always be where the skill of the photographer comes
into play. Quickly lock the camera into manual focus at a hyperfocal
setting. I don't care how much you want to depend on a fully automated
point & shoot DSLR to accomplish all your photography for you. No camera on
earth will be able to predict the proper exposure and focus in situations
like those. This is why I use high-quality super-zoom P&S cameras for all
my fast subject needs. I don't have to worry about having to change lenses
for the right focal-length too as a bird in flight quickly moves from 5
meters to 100 meters away. Set a focus at a hyperfocal distance and I get a
perfect shot every time.

But you go ahead, keep trying to be a snapshooter and keep trying to find a
camera that will make up for your lack of talent. They all do it, so you
should too.

Old May 6th 10, 12:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Drazic

"Drazic" wrote in message
[...]

Going back to my original analogy. Manufacturers have spent time and money
developing a fancy climate control system that allows people two foot away
from each other to adjust the temperature independently from one another, in
a passenger compartment the size of Frank Bruno's jock strap.

Surely you must wonder whether the time would have been better spent
developing a system that gives you instant warm air when you get into your
car on a cold winter morning.

Old May 6th 10, 01:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Drazic

"Russ D" wrote in message
On Thu, 6 May 2010 11:20:22 +0100, "Drazic" wrote:

"Drazic" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

LOL, you're post's crack me up.

I'm not being sarcastic BTW, for some reason your post's make me laugh.

Old May 6th 10, 02:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
bugbear

Russ D wrote:
I don't have to worry about having to change lenses
for the right focal-length too as a bird in flight quickly moves from 5
meters to 100 meters away. Set a focus at a hyperfocal distance and I get a
perfect shot every time.

Of a bird's arse!

BugBear
Old May 6th 10, 11:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Drazic

"bugbear" wrote in message
o.uk...
Russ D wrote:
I don't have to worry about having to change lenses
for the right focal-length too as a bird in flight quickly moves from 5
meters to 100 meters away. Set a focus at a hyperfocal distance and I get
perfect shot every time.

Of a bird's arse!

BugBear

Or the other way round:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rrxo-GOTkE

Either this guy has balls the size of planets, or he had his eyes closed.
Yeah, this is one of those situations when video triumphs stills.

Old May 6th 10, 11:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Russ D

On Thu, 06 May 2010 14:14:01 +0100, bugbear
wrote:

Russ D wrote:
I don't have to worry about having to change lenses
for the right focal-length too as a bird in flight quickly moves from 5
meters to 100 meters away. Set a focus at a hyperfocal distance and I get a
perfect shot every time.

Of a bird's arse!

BugBear

I see that you don't do much, or have ever done any, wildlife photography.
Birds don't always fly in a straight line.

Old May 6th 10, 11:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Drazic

wrote:

Russ D wrote:
I don't have to worry about having to change lenses
for the right focal-length too as a bird in flight quickly moves from 5
meters to 100 meters away. Set a focus at a hyperfocal distance and I
get a
perfect shot every time.

Of a bird's arse!

BugBear

I see that you don't do much, or have ever done any, wildlife photography.
Birds don't always fly in a straight line.

My birds do: ;-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dr2ZB36p9Y