All this talk of IS

Old January 20th 05, 10:40 AM

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 10:31:40 -0700, Dirk Gently
wrote:

On 6 Jan 2005 06:31:34 -0800, "VK" wrote:
But I find the overwhelming "IS or bust" consensus here to be a little
overkill. There are other factors to consider, and some of them may be
more important. Just an alternate POV for all those considering ZLRs.
My 2 cents.

What I find more disturbing than the search for the IS grail is the fascination
with the size and weight of digital cameras. I've been reading these DC
newsgroups for a while now and I've seen several posts from DC shoppers
that listed among their considerations the "advantages" of one camera being
6.5oz (example) lighter than another camera. When the hell did photo enthusiasts
get so weak and frail that the difference between the weight of a Pano FZ3 and
FZ20 was a major consideration? These have to be people that are new to
photography or something, obviously they never strapped on a Nikon F and sent
out to photograph their trip through Yellowstone, that trip would have required
them to hire Sherpas to carry their camera for them....
/end rant

I prefer using a digital camera which leans towards being larger and
heavier. Which is in part why I decided to buy a Panasonic FZ20.

With many of the various brands/models that I tried their low weight
made the camera feel like they were too delicate, and the small camera
body size seemed more suited to hands which were smaller than mine.
When holding one of these I was left speculating about whether I'd
need to carry around a PDA stylus as a camera accessory to push the
little buttons because in some cases the buttons were so small and
grouped together in a way that I couldn't press one button without
accidentially pushing another next to it.