Cold-Weather Hiking Camera: Recommendations?

Old August 17th 15, 11:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Cold-Weather Hiking Camera: Recommendations?

On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 11:01:40 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Remember that more people die before they reach sixty-five, than between
sixty-five and 100.

remember that you're once again wrong.

in the usa, 81% will live to 65 and it's 50% everywhere else with only
a couple of exceptions.
http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.DYN.TO65.MA.ZS

here's another graph that shows most people dying *over* 65:
http://www.science-of-aging.com/timelines/images/gompertz-mortality-curve.jpg

That last isn't a graph of mortality: it's a graph of death *rate*. It
doesn't show the number who have died. It shows the rate at which they
are dying. You have to integrate the curve to get the number who have
died.

Eric Stevens
Old August 18th 15, 12:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

http://www.science-of-aging.com/time...tality-curve.j

pg

That last isn't a graph of mortality: it's a graph of death *rate*. It
doesn't show the number who have died. It shows the rate at which they
are dying. You have to integrate the curve to get the number who have
died.

of course.
Old August 18th 15, 12:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 08:26:36 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 8/17/2015 5:46 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 14 August 2015 18:02:02 UTC+1, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Eric Stevens:
... 70-year-old...talking 18,000 ft also. (She's mad).

I would be seriously concerned about that.

I would too, our best DJ died in peru.

And thousands of people die of heart attacks every day, regardless of
climate and relationship to sea level.

Altitude sickness can kill either from the accumulation of fluid in
the lungs or in the brain.

See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altitu...ss_Warning.jpg

Eric Stevens
Old March 17th 16, 08:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 14 Aug 2015 16:54:43 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 23:14:27 -0400, Davoud wrote:

PeteCresswell:
If you took everything I know about digital cameras, rolled it into a
ball, and set it on the edge of a razor blade; it would look like a golf
ball in the middle of the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

Which is to say, it would fall into a pothole.

Having said that...

I am trying to tell them that they should think seriously about water
tolerance - maybe IP-66 or something. Also, they are going to be hiking
in snow at altitude (12,000-18,000 feet!) with temperatures sometimes
below zero and I am guessing that the temp will play a roll too.... and
then there is battery charging/replacement.... and on-and-on.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Pros on expense accounts have bearers to carry spare equipment--bodies,
charged batteries, and what-not, by the ton. Especially batteries when
they face extreme cold. Best your friend hire at least one person to
carry batteries, and that batteries and camera bodies be insulated from
the cold. Such a trek is photographically very difficult without a base
camp or a series of base camps with electric generators. Solar chargers
are an option, but portable ones tend to have low capacity.

Ultimate recommendation: a vacation at Caneel Bay, a luxurious and
lovely tropical resort on St. John, USVI.

That's interesting. My 70-year-old wife is planning joining a
tour/expedition to Nepal to see a snow leopard in the wild. She is
talking 18,000 ft also. (She's mad).

Her thoughts are presently to take her Canon G12.

She got there.

At the last minute she bought an iPad of some kind but didn't get the
device to enable her to unload the G12 into the new (to her) Lightning
connector. But here is a photograph taken with the iPad she has just
sent me:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2C000%20ft.jpg
No doubt the results of the G12 will come home with her. But I have to
say that so far I am impressed with the results of the iPad.

Eric Stevens
Old March 17th 16, 09:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

wrote:

[...]

I've taken some snaps with my iTab2 (10"). I posted on or two here IIRC.
It felt like working with a 10x8 groundglass... Without lens and
bellows!!! Totally weird...
--
teleportation kills
Old March 17th 16, 03:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 17/03/2016 09:14, android wrote:
[]
I've taken some snaps with my iTab2 (10"). I posted on or two here IIRC.
It felt like working with a 10x8 groundglass... Without lens and
bellows!!! Totally weird...

Did it make you consider composition any more or any less than with your
normal camera?

--
Cheers,
David
Old March 17th 16, 03:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
David Taylor wrote:

On 17/03/2016 09:14, android wrote:
[]
I've taken some snaps with my iTab2 (10"). I posted on or two here IIRC.
It felt like working with a 10x8 groundglass... Without lens and
bellows!!! Totally weird...

Did it make you consider composition any more or any less than with your
normal camera?

Duno... It sort of made you very aware of what got into the frame.
--
teleportation kills
Old March 17th 16, 08:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

Yes ipads arent bad, but holding the bloody thing can be tricky in that 'camera shake' can be difficult to overcome.

And she said it was c o l d. Did you note the altitude? 18,380ft.
That would not help camera shake.

Eric Stevens
Old March 18th 16, 12:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Whisky-dave:
Yes ipads arent bad, but holding the bloody thing can be tricky in that
'camera shake' can be difficult to overcome.

Never had that problem with iPad photography. And the iPad Pro has the
best camera viewfinder in the galaxy.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

Cold weather photography--how to protect a digital camera StanW Digital Photography 8 January 23rd 07 02:50 AM
Digital camera not operating in cold weather ? Socrates Digital Photography 10 April 22nd 05 02:39 AM
COLD weather Digital Photography 33 February 22nd 05 01:21 AM
Cold Weather Mont Digital Photography 0 January 19th 05 03:17 PM
Cold weather... Pertinax Photographing Nature 7 January 1st 05 11:22 PM