A Photography forum. PhotoBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PhotoBanter.com forum » Digital Photography » Digital Photography
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Are cameras makers SURE that an emphasis on video is the way still cameras should go?

Old May 31st 20, 04:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Are cameras makers SURE that an emphasis on video is the way still cameras should go?

On May 31, 2020, RichA wrote
(in ):

Seems like most of the talk revolving around new cameras is about video.

Sadly that seems to be true.

Personally, I do next to no video.

I am not a videographer, I am a photographer. I have shot brief videos with my iPhone, but the primary purpose of my cameras for me is stills photography. However, now that I have my new MA2 drone I have shot more video that ever before.

I did not upgrade from my X-T3 to the X-T4 because the new camera is not an improvement over the old as a stills camera, and actually makes stills photography somewhat awkward. I cannot stand the vlog centric articulating LCD screen.

Vlogging with a $2000 camera body? Why? Using a $2000 body as a webcam? WHY? What next, a wide-angle lens that looks as crappy as something on an action or webcam? I'm really uncertain as to whether emphasizing video is the way to sell new still camera bodies. Maybe it is, but it certainly isn't reflect in increased or even stabilized sales of bodies.

I find myself in the odd position of agreeing with you.

--
Regards,
Savageduck

Old May 31st 20, 06:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Are cameras makers SURE that an emphasis on video is the way still cameras should go?

On May 31, 2020, Alfred Molon wrote
(in . com):

In article
.com,
says...
However, now that I have my new MA2 drone I have shot more video that ever before.

Perhaps after some time you'll get bored of shooting those Lake
Nacimiento videos and your drone will turn into an expensive
paperweight.

There are quite a lot of potential drone shooting areas around here. Once the novelty wears off and my piloting, and videography skills improveI have a few areas in mind, both locally, and a bit further afield. I need to get down to the coast next, though I have to say that I am still weary of the COVID-19 threat that is still out there.

My big understandable disappointment is the drone restrictions for the National Parks such as Yosemite, Zion and a few more. I certainly don’t like the idea of drone pollution in those parks, it is bad enough with the tourist overcrowding.

BTW, I also rarely shoot videos with the camera. Still, DSLR
video is quite impressive (from a quality point of view).

It is very different, but can be useful if not over done. I guess appropriate editing skills need to be refined, and clips need to be kept short.

--
Regards,
Savageduck