KODACHROMES LOVE THE SE 5400!

Old November 6th 07, 12:44 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Fredrik Sandstrom

Default KODACHROMES LOVE THE SE 5400!

On 2007-11-03 02:30:06 -0700, "N" said:

wrote in message
ups.com...

I love these old pics. They bring you back in time, although this is
WAY before my time! It's amazing how the color and condition of the
slide has held up for so many years. Tell Mr. C. nice pic!
Helen

Helen, they don't all survive well, but scanning software can do good things:
This is a slide purchased in about 1970
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1035/...ba0ac97116.jpg
and this is after a bit of tweaking in the scanning software
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1403/...750b433e02.jpg

This slide was one of about a dozen commercial slides in a batch of
200 I was given to scan. I found the private slides had survived
better than the commercial ones.

were they all Kodachrome? It allegedly has much better archival
quality than other emulsions, especially the old 25 ASA stuff.

It does, and I don't think it matters whether it's ISO 25 or another
emulsion, the dyes are the same in any case. However, quality of
processing is important, and that could vary greatly between different
labs, and especially non-Kodak labs could turn out stuff that faded,
I've been told.

Bret seems to have done a good job, but scanning Kodachrome can be
tricky. I've put together a little article on the subject, if anyone's
interested: http://www.oktett.net/photo/scanning-kodachrome.html

Comments are welcome!

--
Fredrik Sandström

Old November 6th 07, 01:38 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Serge Desplanques

On 2007-11-03 02:30:06 -0700, "N" said:

wrote in message
[...]

don't think there is such a thing as non-Kodak processing of
Kodachrome...in fact, where there once were many labs worldwide
licensed by EK, that was reduced sharply in recent years and now if I
am not mistaken there is but one left...

Old November 7th 07, 04:03 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Michael[_6_]

On 2007-11-06 08:38:32 -0500, Serge Desplanques said:

don't think there is such a thing as non-Kodak processing of
Kodachrome...in fact, where there once were many labs worldwide
licensed by EK, that was reduced sharply in recent years and now if I
am not mistaken there is but one left...

Just one left: Dwayne's in Parsons, KS.

--
Michael