DSLR won't meter longer than 30 seconds exposures.

Old January 31st 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Default DSLR won't meter longer than 30 seconds exposures.

I've come to notice that doing night shots, my Nikon D200 won't meter
longer than 30 seconds of exposure time. I don't have a remote release
and apparently the only way to exceed 30 seconds is to hold my finger on
the shutter. Is this common behavior for camera meter systems? Maybe I
missed something in the manual?

Here's an example image where the meter read "LO" but it was close
enough to look fine, a few minutes later there wasn't even enough light
to focus and it came out underexposed:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=California/Bay-Area/San-Francisco/Natural-Areas/Presidio&PG=3&PIC=15

I know, I need a remote, just can't decide if the expensive Nikon model
is worth it & not sure if the cheap $40 third-party remotes will give me
what I need, or an older simpler used nikon remote... I suppose an
illuminated LCD display could be handy in the dark... speaking of not
reading the manual, I still can't figure out how to backlight the top
LCD on this beast... I don't do much shooting in extreme darkness.
Old January 31st 07, 09:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ken Lucke

In article , Paul
Furman wrote:

I've come to notice that doing night shots, my Nikon D200 won't meter
longer than 30 seconds of exposure time. I don't have a remote release
and apparently the only way to exceed 30 seconds is to hold my finger on
the shutter. Is this common behavior for camera meter systems? Maybe I
missed something in the manual?

Don't have a Nikon, but for 30 second exposures, check for "Bulb" or
similar in Manual mode, and yes, you either have to keep your finger on
the button or get a cable release that will lock in the "open"
position.

And "metering" won't work, either - you have to guestimate and
testimate your very long exposure shots.

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard
Old January 31st 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MarkČ

Paul Furman wrote:
[...]

My Canon Timer remote was easily the best $135 I've spent related to
photogarphy.
Nikon likely makes a similar remote... With it, I can not only trip the
shutter (and prefocus if preferred), but I can tell it how many frames to
take...at what interval of time...and after waiting for a time I specify--
and how long to hold the shutter open (without having to hold it myself) up
to many hours(!) if necessary--though I would only suggest using film for
such an exposure. This is great for group shots where you are part of the
group, for example, because it means you can tell it to take 5 or 6 (or 99)
shots without having to walk back over the the the camera each time. It's
also got an illuminated LCD, which makes an awful lot of sense considering
that you'd often use it in dark settings.

Settings/controls include:
-Time until first frame
-Number of frames
-Time between each frame (interval)
-Shutter open time (up to 99 hours+)
-Start/Stop
-Shutter with half/full press
-Lock shutter switch (so you don't have to actually HOLD it down during
extremely long exposures)
-Adjustment wheel
-Ilumination button

Not bad for the $135. Surely Nikon has something simlar.

About your first question... It's normal to have a 30 second limit on even
high-end SLR/DSLRs for auto, or dialed-in exposure. Beyond that, you use
"bulb" setting, which is basically holding it down, as you said. -But of
course you'd never want to actually do that by hand. You need that remote
shutter release.

-MarkČ

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old January 31st 07, 10:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ken Lucke

http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php...San-Francisco/
[...]

I've drooled over one of those for some time (I just use the standard
RS-60E3 one), but they have a different connector than my 400D uses...
however, I was just looking over eBay and found a picture of one
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...8686399&fromMa
keTrack=true) that appears to have a mini or sub-mini stereo plug/jack
built right inline to the cable - and as my 400D/RS-60E3 combo uses a
standard stereo mini jack/plug, I could easily build an adapter to plu
into the 400D, as all it does via cable is act like a switch between
the various wires (nothing needed from the camera internals to
function) .... hmmmmm.....

Does yours have that jack/plug in the cable?

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard
Old January 31st 07, 10:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MarkČ

Ken Lucke wrote:
In article , MarkČ
wrote:

Paul Furman wrote:
[...]

No it doesn't. That picture looks like some sort of mock-up to me, but
perhaps someone is cobling these together. I don't see why it couldn't
work... Canon definitely doesn't sell one like that. The control unit
pictured is identical, but I've never seen one with a female sub-mini jack
like that. It's acually a pretty good idea if it's legitimate, though
something seems fishy...

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old January 31st 07, 11:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Brace

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
. net...

I know, I need a remote, just can't decide if the expensive Nikon model is
worth it & not sure if the cheap $40 third-party remotes will give me what
I need, or an older simpler used nikon remote... I suppose an illuminated
LCD display could be handy in the dark... speaking of not reading the
manual, I still can't figure out how to backlight the top LCD on this
beast... I don't do much shooting in extreme darkness.

Paul:
See Pg. 5, at the bottom!
Bob

Old January 31st 07, 11:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ken Lucke

In article , MarkČ
wrote:

Ken Lucke wrote:

http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php...a/San-Francisc
[...]

The photo looked legit to me, but I didn't examine it with any great
detail, so it's entirely possible.

I don't see why it couldn't
work... Canon definitely doesn't sell one like that.

That's what I thought, as I've looked into them before and they've
never had a picture of one like that. I thought that this was maybe a
new version. There's an idea for themm - make the controller, with
various adapters for the tip, like the universal 120V/DC power supplies
you can buy!

The control unit
pictured is identical, but I've never seen one with a female sub-mini jack
like that. It's acually a pretty good idea if it's legitimate, though
something seems fishy...

Yeah, the response I got from the seller said that the photo was wrong
("Dear Customer, This is a wrong picture, this plug is not divided in
two pieces.")
"

However, it got me thinking that there's no reason I shouldn't be able
to cut off the funky proprietary connector on the end (saving it to
reattach later when I get a 1Ds Mark 47), strip the wires, and solder
on a mini-stero connector, once I've figured out the wire--pin pattern
(which, with only 3 leads, should be a snap, considering I already know
the camera side's requirements). I'd reverse the way that it was/is
shown in that picture, though - the plug would go on the remote's end
and the jack would go on the end with the proprietary connector - to
allow the jury-rigged setup to plug directly into the camera without an
additional adapter.

By yumpin' yimminies, I think I'll give it a go. I'll let you know how
it turns out. Maybe I could sell the damn things :^).

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard
Old February 1st 07, 12:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MarkČ

Ken Lucke wrote:
In article , MarkČ
wrote:

Ken Lucke wrote:
In article , MarkČ
wrote:

Paul Furman wrote:
[...]

Please do...though I don't personally have a use for one. Others would.
I really don't see why Canon keeps the sub-mini design. All of their other
DSLRs use the diffent style...
-It's probably just a carry-over thing... but they've used the other disign
since at least the EOS 3. I don't know about before that. Perhaps they
want people like you to see it as another rationale for upgrading to another
body... Who knows...

Old February 1st 07, 01:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Phil, Non-Squid

Paul Furman wrote:
[...]

Reciprocity failure takes over at long and short exposures for film. I've
found it to be similarly true for digital.

--
Phil

Old February 1st 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

MarkČ wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:

[...]

Thanks, yeah that does sound useful... it seems like the Nikon unit is
about $165 but maybe I'm remembering wrongly in recoiled fear & loathing.

Settings/controls include:
-Time until first frame
-Number of frames
-Time between each frame (interval)
-Shutter open time (up to 99 hours+)
-Start/Stop
-Shutter with half/full press
-Lock shutter switch (so you don't have to actually HOLD it down during
extremely long exposures)

I believe the third party $40 options mostly have this feature.

-Adjustment wheel
-Ilumination button

Not bad for the $135. Surely Nikon has something simlar.

About your first question... It's normal to have a 30 second limit on even
high-end SLR/DSLRs for auto, or dialed-in exposure. Beyond that, you use
"bulb" setting, which is basically holding it down, as you said. -But of
course you'd never want to actually do that by hand. You need that remote
shutter release.

It wouldn't be that hard to allow up to 9999 seconds in manual mode.
Hmph. I can understand how the meter might not be able to detect light
levels at longer than 30 seconds though.