Rule of f16

Old May 10th 04, 06:49 PM
Q.G. de Bakker

Default Rule of f16

Stacey wrote:

But of course there are the on-line posters whowill claim that a color
negative shot 1 stop over is "unprintable"! :-) 2 stops under might end

up
a little on the grainy side but 3-4 stops over should still print just
fine.

I quite recently exposed ISO 400 colour negative film as ISO 100. I thought
i needed the extra speed, was indeed happy that i did get the faster film,
and when the day was over i noticed i still had my meter set to ISO 100...
No problem whatsoever.

Old May 11th 04, 12:53 AM
Stacey

Q.G. de Bakker wrote:

Stacey wrote:

But of course there are the on-line posters whowill claim that a color
negative shot 1 stop over is "unprintable"! :-) 2 stops under might end

up
a little on the grainy side but 3-4 stops over should still print just
fine.

I quite recently exposed ISO 400 colour negative film as ISO 100. I
thought i needed the extra speed, was indeed happy that i did get the
faster film, and when the day was over i noticed i still had my meter set
to ISO 100... No problem whatsoever.

I've actually found that 400asa film exposed at 100asa looks closer to
100asa film than it does to 400asa film, the extra exposure makes the grain
less obvious than it would be if it was exposed at 400asa.
--

Stacey
Old May 13th 04, 08:30 AM
MikeWhy

"Ken Burns" wrote in message
k.net...
Here in the Southern Appalachians, because of the high levels of haze (air
pollution?) the sunny f/11 rule is oftentimes more accurate.

Doesn't "sunny 16" include a "hazy 11" stanza? and "fuzzy 8" also?

Old May 14th 04, 01:27 AM
Bob Monaghan

yes, viz.:
Aperture stops conditions
f/22 -1 stop snow or beach
f/16 sunny-16 bright daylight dark shadows
f/11 +1 stop weak or hazy sun sun low in sky
f/8 +2 stops cloudy bright
f/5.6 +3 stops darker clouds subject in shadow
f/4 +4 stops sunset

see also http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm#evfclux ultimate exposure
guide etc.

there is a minor range, as some have noted, depending on your location and
time of year (winter/summer) and time of day (mid-day vs. sun-rise/set).

the chart for tricky night-time lighting conditions at
http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/moonlight.html is surprisingly accurate, though
bracketing critical shots is still a good idea ;-)

before you meter, use these rules to make a guess as to exposure. You will
be surprised how often you get it right, and how much you improve over
time...

regards bobm
* Robert Monaghan POB 752182 Southern Methodist Univ. Dallas Tx 75275 *
********************Standard Disclaimers Apply*************************
Old May 14th 04, 06:31 AM
David J. Littleboy

"Bob Monaghan" wrote:

before you meter, use these rules to make a guess as to exposure. You will
be surprised how often you get it right, and how much you improve over
time...

But this whole discussion is based on my observations that (a) my metering
works, and (b) the results it gives don't agree with sunny 16.

It looks like I missed my chance at a Nobel Prize: the latest news has it
that less light is making it through the atmosphere to the surface.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/13/science/13DARK.html

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old May 14th 04, 10:17 AM
Q.G. de Bakker

Bob Monaghan wrote:

yes, viz.:
Aperture stops conditions
f/22 -1 stop snow or beach
f/16 sunny-16 bright daylight dark shadows
f/11 +1 stop weak or hazy sun sun low in sky
f/8 +2 stops cloudy bright
f/5.6 +3 stops darker clouds subject in shadow
f/4 +4 stops sunset

I can't help but love the precision in the "rule" expressed using the words
"beach", "dark", "shadow", "hazy", "cloudy", "darker", "bright"...
;-)

Old May 14th 04, 11:20 AM
David J. Littleboy

"Q.G. de Bakker" wrote in message
i.nl...
Bob Monaghan wrote:

yes, viz.:
Aperture stops conditions
f/22 -1 stop snow or beach
f/16 sunny-16 bright daylight dark shadows
f/11 +1 stop weak or hazy sun sun low in sky
f/8 +2 stops cloudy bright
f/5.6 +3 stops darker clouds subject in shadow
f/4 +4 stops sunset

I can't help but love the precision in the "rule" expressed using the

words
"beach", "dark", "shadow", "hazy", "cloudy", "darker", "bright"...
;-)

A rule that complex is harder to use than a spot meter.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old May 14th 04, 03:08 PM
Hemi4268

It looks like I missed my chance at a Nobel Prize: the latest news has it
that less light is making it through the atmosphere to the surface.

Again, this is fully dependent on location. Veration in locations will account
for 1 stop. Time of the day accounts for another 3 stops.

Larry
Old May 14th 04, 05:04 PM
David J. Littleboy

"Hemi4268" wrote in message
It looks like I missed my chance at a Nobel Prize: the latest news has it
that less light is making it through the atmosphere to the surface.

Again, this is fully dependent on location. Veration in locations will

account
for 1 stop. Time of the day accounts for another 3 stops.

Right. Sunny 16 doesn't work without a lot of fine print, and learning (and
correctly identifying) the conditions is harder than learning what your film
does to (various subjects placed in) zones III to VII.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old May 14th 04, 05:09 PM
Hemi4268

Right. Sunny 16 doesn't work without a lot of fine print, and learning (and
correctly identifying) the conditions is harder than learning what your film
does to (various subjects placed in) zones III to VII

Although if your taking a walk on a nice sunny day in the spring time, the
sunny 16 rule works well.

Larry