strike sx230-260

Old June 7th 12, 06:27 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Default strike sx230-260

bad sector wrote:
On 06/04/2012 12:47 AM, bad sector wrote:

canon sx230?

1080p HD, manual overrides, large pocket size and since it's a year on
the market prices have retreated some ($230-300). I never had a Canon
but the reviews are generally good.

I just downloaded the manual and went in for a closer look at so called
MANUAL focus. There's no sign of numerical distance reference,
apparently it just allows one to eyeball focus on the monitor. Thus if I
want to focus at 200 feet I cannot see that number anywhere while
focusing even manually :-(((

Why would you want to focus at 200 feet? At that distance
you have 60 feet DOF at the least with that camera.

Secondary:
The depth of field table (or rule of thumb if any) that depends on lens
opening and focal distance, is that about the same on all cameras/lenses
or is it specific to every lens

It only depends on the aperture and focal length and on the
allowed circle of confusion, which again depends on the factor
between output and sensor size and viewing distance.

-Wolfgang
Old June 7th 12, 11:13 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
bad sector

On 06/07/2012 01:27 PM, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
bad wrote:
On 06/04/2012 12:47 AM, bad sector wrote:

canon sx230?

1080p HD, manual overrides, large pocket size and since it's a year on
the market prices have retreated some ($230-300). I never had a Canon
but the reviews are generally good.

I just downloaded the manual and went in for a closer look at so called
MANUAL focus. There's no sign of numerical distance reference,
apparently it just allows one to eyeball focus on the monitor. Thus if I
want to focus at 200 feet I cannot see that number anywhere while
focusing even manually :-(((

Why would you want to focus at 200 feet? At that distance
you have 60 feet DOF at the least with that camera.

Nothing special, I just threw in a number, or maybe I want the subject
to just fit into the DOF. I should have been clearer about what I want.
There are two separate actions the first being fucusING (like in the
viewfinder) and the other SETting-focus where you set a number for the
distance. Let'say I want to make a 1 minute exposure of a town at night
in the snow from a water tower (I actually made a postcard that way
once). Trying to focus in the viewfinder would be an exercise in
futility but if I know the distance (and I can guess pretty good) then
that's where setting the focus distance comes in. In this case it was
infinity but it serves to illustrate one possible need for the number
approach.

Old June 8th 12, 06:10 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

bad wrote:
[...]

If you want to set by number you should carry out some experiments to
check the accuracy of the number scale with respect to your
purposes. On some cameras/lenses it's accurate enough, on some it's so
silly you wonder why they bothered to put the numbers there.

--
Chris Malcolm

Old June 8th 12, 12:26 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
bad sector

On 06/08/2012 01:10 AM, Chris Malcolm wrote:

If you want to set by number you should carry out some experiments to
check the accuracy of the number scale with respect to your
purposes. On some cameras/lenses it's accurate enough, on some it's so
silly you wonder why they bothered to put the numbers there.

THAT I didn't know, thanks for the info

Old June 8th 12, 05:22 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

bad sector wrote:

distance. Let'say I want to make a 1 minute exposure of a town at night
in the snow from a water tower (I actually made a postcard that way
once). Trying to focus in the viewfinder would be an exercise in
futility but if I know the distance (and I can guess pretty good) then
that's where setting the focus distance comes in. In this case it was
infinity but it serves to illustrate one possible need for the number
approach.

Well, most cameras in the P&S class have a scene mode exactly
for landscapes in the dark. Hyperfocal length.

And since at said 28mm the hyperfocal length is around 2 meters
for this camera ...

-Wolfgang