What makes a picture worthy to hang on the wall?

Old May 19th 07, 02:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Luttrell

Default What makes a picture worthy to hang on the wall?

I've been wanting to print some of my pictures at around16x20" but as
I'm trying to decide which to print and frame onto a wall I can't get
my mind set on a particular picture. I think I take pretty good
pictures but for some reason none of them seem like they're supposed
to be framed up on a wall.

What kind of a picture deserves to be framed? Landscapes, portraits of
beautiful people, macros, heavily photoshopped pictures? Does anyone
else frame their pictures? Maybe some example would help me learn what
kind of pictures to take to print and frame.

http://flickr.com/photos/8296836@N02/

Old May 19th 07, 03:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joan

Go into a shop that sells framed prints. Pick out 10 items that you
wouldn't mind having in your living room, bedroom, dining room,
sunroom, bathroom or behind the toilet door. Try to identify what is
common to all 10 pictures.

We don't know your taste, you do.

--
Joan

oups.com...
:

Old May 19th 07, 04:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charles

On 18 May 2007 18:58:52 -0700, Luttrell wrote:

I've been wanting to print some of my pictures at around16x20" but as
I'm trying to decide which to print and frame onto a wall I can't get
my mind set on a particular picture. I think I take pretty good
pictures but for some reason none of them seem like they're supposed
to be framed up on a wall.

What kind of a picture deserves to be framed? Landscapes, portraits of
beautiful people, macros, heavily photoshopped pictures? Does anyone
else frame their pictures? Maybe some example would help me learn what
kind of pictures to take to print and frame.

http://flickr.com/photos/8296836@N02/

Poster shops make a living by guessing what people might like. Why
not go to one and see what kind of pictures would seem to make your
life better.
Old May 19th 07, 04:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Matt Ion

Luttrell wrote:

What kind of a picture deserves to be framed? Landscapes, portraits of
beautiful people, macros, heavily photoshopped pictures?

Anything that the owner of the wall deems suitable for his tastes and decor.
Old May 19th 07, 08:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Philip Homburg

In article bcu3i.195912$6m4.21682@pd7urf1no,
Matt Ion wrote:
Luttrell wrote:

What kind of a picture deserves to be framed? Landscapes, portraits of
beautiful people, macros, heavily photoshopped pictures?

Anything that the owner of the wall deems suitable for his tastes and decor.

Exactly. And the best way to find out is to start printing. Print a couple
of images, figure out what you do/don't like. And use that to select new
images to print.

Old May 19th 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Marvin

Luttrell wrote:
I've been wanting to print some of my pictures at around16x20" but as
I'm trying to decide which to print and frame onto a wall I can't get
my mind set on a particular picture. I think I take pretty good
pictures but for some reason none of them seem like they're supposed
to be framed up on a wall.

What kind of a picture deserves to be framed? Landscapes, portraits of
beautiful people, macros, heavily photoshopped pictures? Does anyone
else frame their pictures? Maybe some example would help me learn what
kind of pictures to take to print and frame.

http://flickr.com/photos/8296836@N02/

You should hang pictures you like to see frequently, and
would like visitors to see. The first kind can hang in less
public places, like a bedroom. Those meant for you and for
visitors can go in a more public place, like an entrance
hall or living room. What you put on a wall in an office is
another matter; you are showing your tastes and interest to
a certain audience. In any case, it is for you to decide
(with important input from your boss at work).
Old May 19th 07, 06:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
timeOday

Charles wrote:

Poster shops make a living by guessing what people might like. Why
not go to one and see what kind of pictures would seem to make your
life better.

Personally, I take pictures mainly to preserve my memory of events - to
bring back the feelings. I wouldn't decorate my home or office with
pictures of strangers or places I've never been.

To the OP, wait until inspiration strikes. You're just flipping
channels, itching to print something. That'll never work.
Old May 19th 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete

On 18 May 2007 18:58:52 -0700, Luttrell wrote:

I've been wanting to print some of my pictures at around16x20" but as
I'm trying to decide which to print and frame onto a wall I can't get
my mind set on a particular picture. I think I take pretty good
pictures but for some reason none of them seem like they're supposed
to be framed up on a wall.

What kind of a picture deserves to be framed? Landscapes, portraits of
beautiful people, macros, heavily photoshopped pictures? Does anyone
else frame their pictures? Maybe some example would help me learn what
kind of pictures to take to print and frame.

http://flickr.com/photos/8296836@N02/

Submit your short list to PhotoSIG.com and hang the ones that score 30
points or more.
Old May 19th 07, 09:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charles[_2_]

"Luttrell" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been wanting to print some of my pictures at around16x20" but as
I'm trying to decide which to print and frame onto a wall I can't get
my mind set on a particular picture. I think I take pretty good
pictures but for some reason none of them seem like they're supposed
to be framed up on a wall.

What kind of a picture deserves to be framed? Landscapes, portraits of
beautiful people, macros, heavily photoshopped pictures? Does anyone
else frame their pictures? Maybe some example would help me learn what
kind of pictures to take to print and frame.

My choice is something special but muted in terms of message. Here is one
that has enhanced several walls in my residences:
http://home.comcast.net/~charlesschu...8/site1052.jpg

Old May 20th 07, 06:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Smith[_3_]

"Luttrell" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been wanting to print some of my pictures at around16x20" but as
I'm trying to decide which to print and frame onto a wall I can't get
my mind set on a particular picture. I think I take pretty good
pictures but for some reason none of them seem like they're supposed
to be framed up on a wall.

What kind of a picture deserves to be framed? Landscapes, portraits of
beautiful people, macros, heavily photoshopped pictures? Does anyone
else frame their pictures? Maybe some example would help me learn what
kind of pictures to take to print and frame.

Subject matter doesn't matter as long as it's not offensive to any group or
subgroup who is likely to visit your abode/office, or hear about the
contents from someone who HAS visited your abode/office.

In particular, you want to avoid any political statements or expressions of
religious or sexual preference (like that fall shot off the Blue Ridge
Parkway, where that little church way down in the Valley snuck in) else you
open yourself up to a lawsuit.

I would also stay away from pictures of beautiful people, as that may make
folks wonder what you are really up to. Likewise shots of children and of
course, all shots of family members MUST be approved in advance (in writing,
if you can swing it) and NEVER posted in a public place where they can be
seen by someone who might wish to do you harm.

I'd also avoid any shots that include animals (lots of people are afraid of
dogs and allergic to cats and barnyard critters can have "certain"
implications some parts of the USA, if not the world at large.

For an office or home environment, "bland" is the order of the day, stick to
tight shots of flowers and you should. be ok, as long as they are not red or
yellow (the color of blood and paranoia).

For the home environment, make sure the colors match your couch and the
frame matches the decor. At work, the "taste police" will keep you in line.

Just make sure that the pictures will not get you or your family in trouble
if you are ever visited by the authorities, friends, relatives, or a
disgruntled spouse.

DP