Heat absorbing glass or one-size-fits all glass carrier for 23CII negative popping problem

Old June 1st 04, 12:53 AM
Phil Glaser

Default Heat absorbing glass or one-size-fits all glass carrier for 23CII negative popping problem

Hi,

I just spent the better part of yesterday trying to print from a 35mm
negative in my Beseler 23CII. I had already noticed some focusing
problems with this print but had attributed it to the negative itself.
After a rather long and involved burning and dodging sequence (I'm
still recovering from it), I noticed when I removed the negative from
the carrier that it had sort of protruded a bit through the carrier.
It was rather striking.

I gather that this is the infamous "negative popping" problem that has
attracted much discussion on this group (see for example
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...com%26rnum%3D2).
I am in some ways relieved to have an explanation, because I had been
going crazy figuring out why I had to constantly refocus for _every_
exposure. It also explains why the focus never seemed quite right.

So here are my questions.

First, does the Beseler "heat absorbing glass" (Beseler # 8042) occupy
the space in the filter drawer where the filter frame itself goes? If
so, how would I use my VC filters? Having shelled out some odd $20 for
those filters, I am loathe to have to buy below-the-lens filters.

Second, can anyone share their experience in using Beseler universal
glass negative carriers (either the plain 8074 or anti-Newton 8072)? I
find this option very intriguing for a couple of reasons. I plan to
start doing medium format sometime in the not-to-distant future, and
have limited space in my closet darkroom. The idea of having a
one-size-fits all carrier appeals to me. Also, my reading of the
archvies on this topic is that a glass carrier is the only sure-fire
solution to the popping problem because even with the heat-absorbing
glass the problem occurs. There was one post that went so far as to
say that, even without popping, any unevenness in the negative results
in loss of sharpness. If so, this is a compelling argument. I am
resigned to living with having to clean the extra surfaces.

If I were to go for the glass negative carrier option, is the
anti-Newton carrier worth the extra money? Are there other solutions
to Newton rings?

Finally, since it's going to take me a bit of time to make this
decision and/or convince my wife of why I'm spending more for an
enlarger accessory than I spent for the enlarger itself, I am looking
for interim solutions. One suggestion I saw was to tightly tape the
negative to the carrier so as to stretch it out. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

--Phil
Old June 1st 04, 01:17 AM
Nick Zentena

Phil Glaser wrote:

So here are my questions.

First, does the Beseler "heat absorbing glass" (Beseler # 8042) occupy
the space in the filter drawer where the filter frame itself goes? If
so, how would I use my VC filters? Having shelled out some odd $20 for
those filters, I am loathe to have to buy below-the-lens filters.

On top of the glass? My bigger Beseler has a sheet of glass put into the
filter slot. That way the filter doesn't fall down the hole-) Obviously it
helps to keep things dust free. Or pretty close to it.

Second, can anyone share their experience in using Beseler universal
glass negative carriers (either the plain 8074 or anti-Newton 8072)? I
find this option very intriguing for a couple of reasons. I plan to

Looking at the pictures this is just a normal glass carrier. It's the max
size your enlarger will take. I've use a 4x5 one masked off for smaller
formats. Or for strips of negatives. If you're willing to make up some
simple masks [mat board nothing fancy needed] then it works fine.

start doing medium format sometime in the not-to-distant future, and
have limited space in my closet darkroom. The idea of having a
one-size-fits all carrier appeals to me. Also, my reading of the
archvies on this topic is that a glass carrier is the only sure-fire
solution to the popping problem because even with the heat-absorbing

I think the design of the enlarger must play into how much heat is
created. I don't get any popping with any sort of carrier. It's not because
I'm doing anything special so it must be the enlarger.

Finally, since it's going to take me a bit of time to make this
decision and/or convince my wife of why I'm spending more for an
enlarger accessory than I spent for the enlarger itself, I am looking
for interim solutions. One suggestion I saw was to tightly tape the
negative to the carrier so as to stretch it out. Any other ideas?

Buy it used. Maybe consider the negtrans [I think that's the name]. It
pulls the negative taut. Also buy it used. Buy some thick glass from the
glass shop and slip it into the enlarger. Maybe that will cut the heat down
enough. Wait until the negative pops before you focus. Pick which ever one
works for you.

Nick
Old June 1st 04, 01:47 PM
Mike King

Negatrans is just a transport mechanism, does a little better holding negs
flat that the standard carrier since the edges are in intimate contact with
the rubber drive band. Beseler also makes (made) a Negaflat for 4x5, great
for holding 4x5 negs flat but very format specific (originally made for film
pack?) and could tear up the edges of your 4x5 negatives.

--
darkroommike