Error shooting at tungsten (white balancing) instead daylight. HELP !!

Old October 24th 05, 02:14 PM
ciardigio

Default Error shooting at tungsten (white balancing) instead daylight. HELP !!

Hi,
some days ago I bought a Canon 350D (Rebel XT) while in vacation
in USA from Italy. Then I shooted in interior and set the white
balancing
from auto to "tungsten". Then I went outside and shooted a lot of
photo without resetting the WB to auto.
Result: Bad colours!!

Now I need help to reset the photo to true color.
Bad news is that the photo are already in Jpeg and not
in RAW (because of CF size limitation).
I'm not used to make "advance photo editing" (like
changing color temperature) but only standard editing.

I know that probably I lost irremediately the true "light"
but I shoot a lot of "unique" photo of "fall foliage" (is not
easy to come back from Italy to USA to reshoot it!!) and I'm
satisfied to have the best coorction available.
I have Photoshop CS (and obviuosly the software that come with
Canon).
The external light varied from dayligt to cloudy.
We can read in the Canon site for 350D:

Tungsten
Ideal for shooting under incandescent light
(approx. 3200K color temperature).

Daylight
Ideal for shooting outside on sunny days
(approx. 5200K color temperature).

Overcast/Cloudy
Ideal for shooting outside on cloudy days, at dusk,
or at dawn (approx. 6000K color temperature).

Thanks for the help.
gio

Old October 24th 05, 02:28 PM
imbsysop

On 24 Oct 2005 06:14:48 -0700, "ciardigio"
wrote:

Hi,
some days ago I bought a Canon 350D (Rebel XT) while in vacation
in USA from Italy. Then I shooted in interior and set the white
balancing
from auto to "tungsten". Then I went outside and shooted a lot of
photo without resetting the WB to auto.
Result: Bad colours!!

Tungsten
Ideal for shooting under incandescent light
(approx. 3200K color temperature).

Daylight
Ideal for shooting outside on sunny days
(approx. 5200K color temperature).

Overcast/Cloudy
Ideal for shooting outside on cloudy days, at dusk,
or at dawn (approx. 6000K color temperature).

Paintshop pro has an almost single click color balance correction
which allows direct Deg Kelvin correction including removing the
colorcast. i use the old version 7.0
Rescued lots of "blue-cast" pictures this way .. HTH

Old October 24th 05, 04:31 PM
Hunt

In article . com,
says...

[SNIP]

Now I need help to reset the photo to true color.
Bad news is that the photo are already in Jpeg and not
in RAW (because of CF size limitation).
I'm not used to make "advance photo editing" (like
changing color temperature) but only standard editing.

I know that probably I lost irremediately the true "light"
but I shoot a lot of "unique" photo of "fall foliage" (is not
easy to come back from Italy to USA to reshoot it!!) and I'm
satisfied to have the best coorction available.
I have Photoshop CS (and obviuosly the software that come with
Canon).

[SNIP]
gio

Gio,

In PS-CS, there are many ways to correct the overall color balance of an
image. I'll start with the "easy" method, and, if you don't get what you want
/need, we can get technical later.

Open image in CS, and the image will come in as the "background," with will be
locked by default. No need to worry here. Look on the bottome of the Layers
Palette, and you will see a circle, which is half white, half black. Click it,
and you will create an Adjustment Layer, which will appear above the "
background," and from the pop-up list, choose Levels, which will bring up a
dialog box. Now, you have some choices. You might want to try Auto Levels, and
see what happens. Personally, I'd choose the "white point" eyedropper on that
screen - far right of three, and click on an area that I KNOW, or want to be,
white. Then I would choose the "black point" eyedropper - far left of three,
and click on an area that I know, or want to be black. You might get very
lucky and have a neutral gray area in the shot, and then you can click on
that. Chances are, that you will not have a gray, but if you do, use it. Look
closely at resulting image. You have not changed the basic image, only made a
non-destructive correction to it. You can always go back, by double-clicking
on the little "Levels" icon in the Adjustment Layers palette, and make
changes. If this still doesn't get you very close, make an additional
Adjustment LayerColor Balance, and experiment with the color sliders for
Highlights, Mid-tones, and Shadow. Again, this is a non-destructive
correction, which can be eliminated, or re-adjusted. Another Adjustment Layer
correction, that can help you is Adjustment LayerHue/Saturation. Use the Hue
slider for your correction. When satisfied, Save_As PSD for later work - do
not re-Save as JPG, until you are totally satisfied with your corrections, and
you will always have the PSD to go back to.

As you have learned, this is a good reason to capture in RAW, but as you know,
they DO take up more CF.

Let me know if you are getting close. Also, if you can post a link to one, or
more of the images, I'll take a look at them and see if I can make direct
corrective adjustments, and give you the exact steps. If not, you can e-mail
one to me at:
. Obviously you will need to remove
the SPAM to get this to work.

Hunt

Old October 24th 05, 07:32 PM
alex

Gio,

I did the same thing in London the day after I bought my 350D.

Then I found the Colour Balance tool that allows you to fix this in
PaintShopPro - infact there's a good tool called Photo Fix - you need to set
the colour balance to around 5500Kelvin which is the colour temp for mid-day
sun - or thereabouts.

I have no doubt that Photoshop has a similar function...

Cheers

Alex

ups.com...

Old October 25th 05, 01:12 AM
Routemeister

approach is to select a photo that has a known patch of gray (a
stone or some tree bark or even a white background (a house for example,
provided that none of the channels in the sample are level 255). Then
create a levels adjustment layer, check the mid-tone eyedropper and click on
the gray patch. Now you can drag the adjustment layer to all the shots where
the lighting was similar. If you had both cloudy and sunny daylight shots,
create an adjustment layer for each condition from an appropriate sample
photo, then transfer it to the rest of the photos.

The results may not be perfect, but it will get you close to the correct
lighting and it's much quicker than "guessing' on each photo. I made a
similar mistake and managed to save all the photos. In my case, I needed to
correct to morning light, full mid-day sunlight and mixed clouds & sun on a
mountain top. Three adjustment layers did the trick.

Regards, David "Routemeister" Thompson
http://home.rochester.rr.com/backroads/