Omega DII lens stage alignment?

Old March 10th 04, 07:22 PM
Shawn H

Default Omega DII lens stage alignment?

I am trying to align my DII enlarger. I have fixed the baseboard/easel and
the negative stage using two mirrors with a hole and laser etc..etc... Now I
am wondering how to align the lens board. I don't see any adjustment screws
or am I missing something here?

Regards
Shawn

Old March 10th 04, 08:16 PM
f/256

"Shawn H" wrote in message
I am trying to align my DII enlarger. I have fixed the baseboard/easel and
the negative stage using two mirrors with a hole and laser etc..etc... Now

am wondering how to align the lens board. I don't see any adjustment

screws
or am I missing something here?

Shawn,

On a D5 (I do not own a D2) you first adjust the lens stage against the
baseboard before you adjust the negative stage. To do so, there are 2
wheels that run at the rear of the column, the shaft is eccentric and allows
the whole enlarger head to move back and forth, loosen the screws of each
side of the shaft and rotate the shaft (there is a hole in the shaft between
the 2 wheels where you can insert a small screwdriver (for instance) and
help you rotate the shaft. Another point of control to align the lens stage
is by loosen the screws that secure the track behind the bellows, move the
track left to right to adjust it. Once you have the lens stage aligned, you
then adjust the negative stage. As I said before, I own a D5, but the basic
design is the same so the alignment of a D2 may be similar.

Got a question for you, you said to have aligned the negative stage and
baseboard, does you alignment change at different heights of the enlarger
head, or does it stay aligned properly. I am aligning my 2 D5XLs and the
alignment changes when I move the head.

Guillermo

Old March 10th 04, 11:30 PM
Alecj

Go he http://www.darkroompro.com/

Choose "frames"

Then "Equipment Info & Manuals"

Then "Enlargers"

Under "Omega", choose "Service Manual"

Old March 12th 04, 01:23 AM
Shawn H

Thanks for the tip. I took care of it. Re, your question. Alignment
stays pretty constant. I think if the rear shaft is loose then it rotates
during elevation and messes thing up.
Regards
Shawn.

"f/256" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...

Old March 12th 04, 05:06 AM
RWatson767

All
Omega DII lens stage alignment?

Just some facts about Omega D enlarger alignment.
First and foremost. Proper alignment begins with proper assembly. And from the
dialogue here there are some assembly problems.

Next. The eccentric rods, wherever they are located, are to align the carriage
proper to level the negative stage supports. Fore and aft. Not too much is
available to align left and right except proper assembly. Make sure the nylon
screw sliders are centered to allow the carriage to travel smoothly. All should
have about the same adjustment.
Next the negative stage "bridge" needs to be parallel with the baseboard. The
most critical part of the alignment after proper assembly.
You will almost have to take what you get for lens stage adjustment. There are
no dedicated adjustments. The vertical brass rods and their supports can have
excessive wear and their replacement or disassembly and reasssssembly will
occassionally do some good. Again proper assembly. Cleaning is also important
here. Severe focus shaft support can be a problem. Nothing to do here except
mill out the slots and use bushings to get back to original.

Lens stage alignment is not really that critical if you consider the procedure
to determine actual focal point of the lens.

At this point you have done all you can for the mechanical alignment of the
Omega D enlarger. Next is the optical component(s) and their integrity. A
properly mounted lens on a lens disc is really simple. Again proper assembly
is most important. At this point you are dealing with the integrity of the lens
itself. And this is beyond most of us.
Bob AZ