Pentax "K" & "M" Lenses ?

Old June 21st 04, 06:10 AM
Radio Man

Default Pentax "K" & "M" Lenses ?

I have a manual Richo camera that accepts pentax K mount lenses.
Can i use a pentax "M" mount lens with my richo? Also what is the
difference between a "K" & "M" mount lens? .

Old June 21st 04, 06:17 AM
michel.[pas]carrere-[de]gee[spam]

Radio Man a écrit :
I have a manual Richo camera that accepts pentax K mount lenses.
Can i use a pentax "M" mount lens with my richo? Also what is the
difference between a "K" & "M" mount lens? .

Pentax M lenses are only "small" size lenses, often the same optic as K
lenses.
The K mount is stictly the same, full compatible.
Old June 21st 04, 06:30 AM
m II

Radio Man wrote:
I have a manual Richo camera that accepts pentax K mount lenses.
Can i use a pentax "M" mount lens with my richo? Also what is the
difference between a "K" & "M" mount lens? .

It's two different things. The mount is a bayonet style (push and twist)
and is a 'K' mount. It came out right after the 42 millimeter screw
mount was discontinued.

The 'M' just means Manual focus.

http://digilander.libero.it/aohc/selart18e.htm

mike

--
__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
/ /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /

..let the cat out to reply..

©Densa International
'Think tanks cleaned cheap'
Old June 21st 04, 06:34 AM
Radio Man

You're basically saying the "M" & "K" lenses are only different
in physical size? Will the "M" lens couple to the meter the same

Old June 21st 04, 07:50 AM
Mike

"Radio Man" wrote in message
You're basically saying the "M" & "K" lenses are only different
in physical size? Will the "M" lens couple to the meter the same
as the "K" lens?"Radio Man" wrote in message
I have a manual Richo camera that accepts pentax K mount lenses.
Can i use a pentax "M" mount lens with my richo? Also what is the
difference between a "K" & "M" mount lens? .

"K" is a type of mount Pentax brought out to replace the screw mount, there
is no "M" mount. Pentax built the SMC K mount lenses followed by the M
series lenses which are smaller.

Old June 21st 04, 11:16 AM
TP

"Radio Man" wrote:

I have a manual Richo camera that accepts pentax K mount lenses.
Can i use a pentax "M" mount lens with my richo? Also what is the
difference between a "K" & "M" mount lens? .

There is no difference in the mount. The M lenses were a compact
range built to match the M* series of compact SLR cameras, which
included the ME, ME Super, MX, and MV.

Beware, though, the optics of many of the M lenses are inferior to the
previous K lenses - which can be identified by the engraving "SMC
PENTAX" around the front element. The M lenses have "SMC PENTAX-M".
Unfortunately, in the desire to make smaller lenses to match the
smaller bodies, the designers concentrated on small size and weight
and optical quality often suffered.

Nevertheless, there are some very good performers. You just need to
know which ones to avoid. A little research pays dividends; here is a
good place to start:

http://stans-photography.info/

The nest series of Pentax lenses after M was A. The A lenses were
physically similar to the M but many had improved optics. In most
cases, the A lenses reverted to the excellent performance of the K
lenses but at the smaller size of the M lenses. They also added
electronic communication with the camera body but this is not
important if you are using a Ricoh body, or a Pentax K or M body,
because the A lenses will work just like K or M glass.

My Pentax outfit consists of a mixture of A and K lenses. I have
mostly avoided M lenses, but the ones I have are very good performers.

In budget priced M lenses I would recommend the 28mm f/3.5, 35mm f/3.5
and 135mm f/3.5 lenses. The f/3.5 maximum aperture means that they
are cheap to buy, and they are all sharp performers. Also worth
looking at are the 50mm f/1.7 (very cheap used) and the 200mm f/4,
which is an excellent performer, but often not cheap.

I would not recommend any Pentax zoom lenses; these were never a
Pentax strength, at least not until the A series.

I hope some of this is useful.

Old June 21st 04, 11:51 AM
Nick Zentena

Radio Man wrote:
I have a manual Richo camera that accepts pentax K mount lenses.
Can i use a pentax "M" mount lens with my richo? Also what is the
difference between a "K" & "M" mount lens? .

You can use any Pentax type lens I think. The problem is the newer A
lenses won't work in program mode but they'll fit and work in aperture
priority.

Nick
Old June 21st 04, 01:23 PM
LEDMRVM

Radio Man wrote:
I have a manual Richo camera that accepts pentax K mount lenses.
Can i use a pentax "M" mount lens with my richo? Also what is the
difference between a "K" & "M" mount lens? .

It's two different things. The mount is a bayonet style (push and twist)
and is a 'K' mount. It came out right after the 42 millimeter screw
mount was discontinued.

The 'M' just means Manual focus.

Both have the identical K bayonet.
The K and M lenses are both manual focus, and have exactly the same use
application. The K series was introduced in 1975 with the new Pentax K bayonet
mount. The compact sized M series was introduced later with The ME and MX
bodies. Both K and M lenses support manual and aperture-preferred autoexposure.
Later KA lenses retained those functions and added shutter-preferred and
programmed exposure.
Old June 21st 04, 01:26 PM
Collin Brendemuehl

"Radio Man" wrote in message .. .
I have a manual Richo camera that accepts pentax K mount lenses.
Can i use a pentax "M" mount lens with my richo? Also what is the
difference between a "K" & "M" mount lens? .

Pentax lenses come in one bayonet mount -- the K mount.
In this mount there have been several series.
K -- the original lenses that came with the K-1000, KX, K2, KM, etc.
This is somewhat of a users designation as the letter K is not on
the lenses.
M -- the next series that was more compact and came with the M bodies,
ME, MX, etc.
A -- The auto-exposure program modes were compensated for by having an
"A" on the aperture ring. The coatings were also improved. These
came with the A bodies, Super Program, Program Plus, P3, P5, etc.
F/FA/FAJ -- These are the autofocus lenses.

All lenses will mount on all bodies.

There are only 2 issues to consider.
1. The FAJ ( the newest ) don't have an aperture ring and are meant
for the newest bodies with electronic-only aperture control.
2. ZX-50/60 don't couple mechanically to the aperture mechanism, so a
lens needs to be "A" or later.

For more information go to http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp
Check out his WWW links as well.
Old June 21st 04, 04:03 PM
m II

LEDMRVM wrote:
Radio Man wrote:

I have a manual Richo camera that accepts pentax K mount lenses.
Can i use a pentax "M" mount lens with my richo? Also what is the
difference between a "K" & "M" mount lens? .

It's two different things. The mount is a bayonet style (push and twist)
and is a 'K' mount. It came out right after the 42 millimeter screw
mount was discontinued.

The 'M' just means Manual focus.

Both have the identical K bayonet.
The K and M lenses are both manual focus, and have exactly the same use
application. The K series was introduced in 1975 with the new Pentax K bayonet
mount. The compact sized M series was introduced later with The ME and MX
bodies. Both K and M lenses support manual and aperture-preferred autoexposure.
Later KA lenses retained those functions and added shutter-preferred and
programmed exposure.

Thank you for the clarification. It was the physical K mount I was
referring to, in what could have been a much clearer explanantion.

This bayonet allows both aperture priority and metered manual exposure.
Lenses featuring the original K mount are the K series and the M series.