Reliability of Kodak pre-paid processing?? Your impressions,please!

Old October 28th 03, 01:52 AM
Gary Trachier

Default Reliability of Kodak pre-paid processing?? Your impressions,please!

Hi All,

Well, I'm a little discouraged tonight. I have been using Kodak pre-paid
mailers for slide processing for years with a perfect record of reliability.
It looks like my luck may have run out.

In early October I mailed in one film, and according to Kodak's Web site,
that was shipped back to me in Vermont on 13. October. That's two weeks to
get from New Jersey to Vermont! I called Kodak's customer service people,
and they promised to try to track it down within the next two days. Ok, so
the jury's still out on that one.

Later in October, I mailed in four more films using pre-paid mailers. Today
two of the envelopes appeared in my mailbox. A quick check showed that one
box of slides is present and accounted for. Whew! The other envelope has a
big tear, and the box of slides is missing. Oh, brother! What next?

So, Kodak is apparently using a SmartMail service for returning processed
slides. They have also changed from attaching the return address label
directly on the box of slides and shrink-wrapping the whole thing. They now
drop the box of slides into another envelope, and attach the label to that.
This shipping envelope is clearly not up to the rigors of being shipped.
Separating the return address label from the slide box increases the
likelihood of lost slides.

Have you had similar experiences with Kodak? Has the number of lost films
increased since they switched to SmartMail and/or putting the box of slides
into a separate mailing envelope?

I would appreciate hearing your comments on this subject. Thanks to all.

-Gary

Old October 28th 03, 03:39 AM
Michael A. Covington

Sounds like it's time for us all to start photographing our name and address
on the first frame of each roll.

I used to have a label on my camera case that I would photograph: "Return
Film To:" and then my name and address.

Old October 28th 03, 02:45 PM
Robert D Feinman

I've had mail trouble with Kodak (and a couple of others) in the past
and have given up using them. I now take my film to a local
photofinisher. There is usually a shop that will do E6 in most cities.
If you can't find one easily try talking to the local portrait
photographer and find where he sends his film.
Most one hour places seem to be ok for C41.

In article ,
says...

--
Robert D Feinman
http://robertdfeinman.com
Old October 30th 03, 09:24 PM
William J. Slater

FWIW, I'm fairly new to photography but I've not had good luck with 1
hour developers. They have trashed 2 rolls of regular 35mm film and 3
rolls of APS film in the last year and a half. The wife just had a
APS roll that did not develope properly last week. She was pretty T'd
off since it was from a friends wedding.

I usually use the local grocery store developing and have had at least
1 roll ruined by them in the last year. I have just tried sending
some 35mm film off for the 1st time to a place called A&I. I'm
curious to see if they do a better job or not.
Old October 31st 03, 09:19 AM
Jim Phelps

"Robert D Feinman" wrote in message
I've had mail trouble with Kodak (and a couple of others) in the past
and have given up using them. I now take my film to a local
photofinisher. There is usually a shop that will do E6 in most cities.
If you can't find one easily try talking to the local portrait
photographer and find where he sends his film.
Most one hour places seem to be ok for C41.

Doesn't help us Kodachrome users.

Mama, Don't take my Kodachrome away....

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old October 31st 03, 09:28 PM
Tomoko Yamamoto

When I used to shoot Kodachrome, I took my films to a local pro lab,
which sent my film to a place in a nearby city. It took about 2-days to
get my films back.

Robert Feinman wrote:

As for the person with Kodachrome, perhaps you can take it into the
local camera store and they will send it to Kodak for you. This way it
goes by contract courier rather than US mail.

Tomoko Yamamoto
http://www.tomoko-yamamoto.com/