Waterfall on Mt. Rainier

Old July 31st 10, 07:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
LOL!

Default Waterfall on Mt. Rainier

While hiking around Mr. Rainer (for a few weeks, and eventually climbing to
the top), discovered these unnamed unmarked falls back behind a saddle in a
deep ravine.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/4845103561_0c2571919f_b.jpg

LOL!

Old July 31st 10, 04:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 01:13:07 -0500, LOL! wrote:
:
: While hiking around Mr. Rainer (for a few weeks, and eventually climbing to
: the top), discovered these unnamed unmarked falls back behind a saddle in a
: deep ravine.
:
: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/4845103561_0c2571919f_b.jpg
:
: LOL!

I guess their name would pretty well have to be "Umbrella Falls".

Bob
Old July 31st 10, 04:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
LOL!

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 11:03:58 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 01:13:07 -0500, LOL! wrote:
:
: While hiking around Mr. Rainer (for a few weeks, and eventually climbing to
: the top), discovered these unnamed unmarked falls back behind a saddle in a
: deep ravine.
:
: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/4845103561_0c2571919f_b.jpg
:
: LOL!

I guess their name would pretty well have to be "Umbrella Falls".

Bob

I thought "Fishtail Falls" would be a more fitting name. There are already
dozens of falls called "Umbrella". But I could care less what name they are
given (or perchance already have).

Old July 31st 10, 06:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Cooper

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 10:04:01 -0700 (PDT), MadHatter
wrote:

On Jul 31, 8:26*am, LOL! wrote:
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 11:03:58 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 01:13:07 -0500, LOL! wrote:
:
: While hiking around Mr. Rainer (for a few weeks, and eventually climbing to
: the top), discovered these unnamed unmarked falls back behind a saddle in a
: deep ravine.
:
: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/4845103561_0c2571919f_b.jpg
:
: LOL!

I guess their name would pretty well have to be "Umbrella Falls".

Bob

I thought "Fishtail Falls" would be a more fitting name. There are already
dozens of falls called "Umbrella". But I could care less what name they are
given (or perchance already have).

I'm 99% certain that this is Martha Falls. Were you hiking in
Stephens Canyon below Bench and Snow Lakes?

More like he was hiking through old copies of _National Geographic_
with his scanner by his side.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old July 31st 10, 07:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
LOL![_3_]

wrote:

On Jul 31, 8:26*am, LOL! wrote:
[...]

Could be!

More like he was hiking through old copies of _National Geographic_
with his scanner by his side.

My, what a compliment! But then I've often been approached to sell my
photography to them. So this comes as no real surprise.

LOL!

Old July 31st 10, 07:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 01:13:07 -0500, wrote:
:
: While hiking around Mr. Rainer (for a few weeks, and eventually climbing to
: the top), discovered these unnamed unmarked falls back behind a saddle in a
: deep ravine.
:
:http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/4845103561_0c2571919f_b.jpg
I'm 99% certain that this is Martha Falls. Were you hiking in
Stephens Canyon below Bench and Snow Lakes?

Could be!

http://www.aaronswaterfallworld.com/marthafalls.htm
"Martha Falls is one of the best falls in Mt. Rainier that can be easily
viewed. Unicorn Creek drops over 600' in a series of drop highlighted
by a 125' tall fan shaped drop near the top and the final 150' plunge
into Stevens Canyon. There isn't really anywhere to see the entire
falls clearly, but the view from the side of the road is pretty nice by
itself."
Note that the photo shows nearly identical framing.
Old July 31st 10, 08:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
LOL![_3_]

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 11:55:38 -0700, Paul Furman
wrote:

LOL! wrote:
[...]

What's the matter, TROLL, jealous that you weren't invited on that trek?

LOL!

Old July 31st 10, 08:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

LOL! wrote:
:
: While hiking around Mr. Rainer (for a few weeks, and eventually climbing to
: the top), discovered these unnamed unmarked falls back behind a saddle in a
: deep ravine.
:
:http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/4845103561_0c2571919f_b.jpg

http://www.aaronswaterfallworld.com/marthafalls.htm
"Martha Falls is one of the best falls in Mt. Rainier that can be easily
viewed. ...the view from the side of the road is pretty nice by
itself."
Note that the photo shows nearly identical framing.

What's the matter, TROLL, jealous that you weren't invited on that trek?

No, I was just wondering, was it a newly discovered waterfall, found on
a 2 week wilderness trek, or the most easily viewed scenic fall on the
mountain as seen from the road?
Old July 31st 10, 08:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
LOL![_3_]

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 12:20:43 -0700, Paul Furman
wrote:

LOL! wrote:
:
: While hiking around Mr. Rainer (for a few weeks, and eventually climbing to
: the top), discovered these unnamed unmarked falls back behind a saddle in a
: deep ravine.
:
:http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/4845103561_0c2571919f_b.jpg

http://www.aaronswaterfallworld.com/marthafalls.htm
"Martha Falls is one of the best falls in Mt. Rainier that can be easily
viewed. ...the view from the side of the road is pretty nice by
itself."
Note that the photo shows nearly identical framing.

What's the matter, TROLL, jealous that you weren't invited on that trek?

No, I was just wondering, was it a newly discovered waterfall, found on
a 2 week wilderness trek, or the most easily viewed scenic fall on the
mountain as seen from the road?

When I hike I try to never follow roads nor others' trails, it's why I
usually get photos that nobody else has ever taken. Tourist-traps be
damned. What's the big deal if there was some minor road somewhere above or
below where I was hiking? If that is indeed the same falls. It sure looks
like it is but I can't say with 100% certainty. I take a photo and move on
to find more.

Old July 31st 10, 08:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 14:32:21 -0500, LOL! wrote:
: On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 12:20:43 -0700, Paul Furman
: wrote:
:
: LOL! wrote:
: :
[...]

If a wilderness hiker paid that little attention to his surroundings, he might
not survive long. If you get lost out of range of a cell tower, knowing where
the nearest road is may be your best hope. But it sounds as though you don't
even carry a map.

Bob