What Plant Is This?

Old July 31st 10, 02:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
LOL!

Default What Plant Is This?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4129/4844614791_8c703e3de8_b.jpg

To make it more of a challenge, this is during its yearly period without
fruit nor flower. I reserve the photos of the flowering and fruiting ones
for paying customers.

Hints: The fruits look like miniature bananas, and it's among the rarest
(but not the rarest) of its kind in the world. Easily identified by the
small elongated whitish dots. I'd show you the flowers of THE rarest of its
kind in the world, but none of you have enough money for that.

I thought that maybe you pathetically hopeless desk-jockeys who have never
stepped outside of your mommies' basements would like a glimpse of what you
can photograph when you get days away from any pavement.

If you pretend-photographer morons behave, you might even get to see some
images I have of big-horn sheep in the remote mountains of The Bob Marshall
Wilderness (the largest area of contiguous wilderness left in the
Lower-48). Or maybe a pronghorn hiding in some plains grasses. Though I'm
quite fond of the photo I took of a young moose on the near bank of a
stream during a heavy snow in Quetico Nat. Forest, the snowflakes adhering
to its new antlers.

Moron trolls miss out on seeing so much, just because ... well, because
they are morons.

LOL!

Old July 31st 10, 02:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
LOL!

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 18:10:40 -0700, "Chuck" wrote:

It looks like the air roots of an orchid plant.

More clues: Other than the missing fruit or flower, that is the whole
plant. It never has leaves.

Regards

.. .

Old July 31st 10, 04:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Cooper

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 20:26:13 -0500, LOL! wrote:

It never has leaves.

Nor do you, more the pity.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old July 31st 10, 05:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
LOL!

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 23:46:39 -0400, tony cooper
wrote:

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 20:26:13 -0500, LOL! wrote:

It never has leaves.

Nor do you, more the pity.

Always off topic, always trolling for attention. Do you realize just how
****ingly transparent you are as an AUTHENTIC TROLL?

Thanks for proving it yet again, and again, and again.

LOL!

Old July 31st 10, 11:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
LOL!

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 03:25:23 -0700 (PDT), DanP wrote:

On Jul 31, 2:08*am, LOL! wrote:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4129/4844614791_8c703e3de8_b.jpg

Try sci.bio.botany, this is a SLR newsgroup.

DanP

Awww... the poor little pretend-photographer DSLR-TROLL can't even figure
out what plants it might photograph one day. Boo hoo.

Now that's a laugh. Imagine one of these armchair-photographer trolls
actually schlepping through chest-deep gator-infested swamp-waters for two
days to find these plants. (Hint: Have a good walking-stick and keep
prodding the murky waters in front and to each side of you. We had a few
close-calls with those that like to defend their turf.)

LOL!

Old July 31st 10, 12:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

:
: It looks like the air roots of an orchid plant.
:
: More clues: Other than the missing fruit or flower, that is the whole
: plant. It never has leaves.

One possibility is that the tentacles themselves serve as leaves. Their
greenish cast could suggest that that's the case. I guess the more obvious
possibility is that it's an outright parasite, living off the tree. You said
you found it in a gator-infested swamp, and such places are a well-known
preserve of parasitic plants.

Bob
Old July 31st 10, 12:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
LOL!

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 07:14:33 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 20:26:13 -0500, LOL! wrote:
: On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 18:10:40 -0700, "Chuck" wrote:
:
: It looks like the air roots of an orchid plant.
:
: More clues: Other than the missing fruit or flower, that is the whole
: plant. It never has leaves.

One possibility is that the tentacles themselves serve as leaves. Their
greenish cast could suggest that that's the case.

Correct.

I guess the more obvious
possibility is that it's an outright parasite, living off the tree.

Wrong. There is evidence to suggest that these kinds of plants are in a
symbiotic type of relationship. This is why it is difficult, if not nearly
impossible, to replicate them in greenhouse conditions. Without the exact
same growing conditions: i.e. host-plant, nematodes & micro-fungi embedded
in those host plants, micro-climate (they can only be found within a short
distance above the water temperature in which they reside), etc., they
cannot flourish and grow. It is an extremely delicate balance of many
life-forms and micro-climate environment, and is precisely why they are so
rare.

You said
you found it in a gator-infested swamp, and such places are a well-known
preserve of parasitic plants.

True, but that is not always the case.

Bob

I know what this plant is because I have the full fruiting and blossoming
images as well. I'm just wondering if any of the "oh so educated and
(in)experienced role-playing pretend-photographers" of these newsgroups
might know. The hints and information provided by myself so far are
probably not found on the net through Google searches (which is why they re
failing to provide a quick and direct answer). Revealing, without any
uncertainty, just who ARE the role-playing armchair photographer trolls.

I never do one thing when I can accomplish 20 tasks with the same effort.
This could also be the reason I am partial to superzoom cameras these days.

LOL!