Google Photos will end its free unlimited storage on June 1st, 2021

Old November 12th 20, 04:46 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,rec.photo.digital,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Arlen Holder

Default Google Photos will end its free unlimited storage on June 1st, 2021

On Thu, 12 Nov 2020 08:11:39 +0100, Joerg Lorenz wrote:

You urgently need professional help from a psychiatrist.

Thank you, yet again, for proving me correct about Apple apologists.
o What are the common well-verified psychological traits of the Apple Apologists on this newsgroup?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/18ARDsEOPzM

Apologists like Joerg often attack the _person_ who bears facts because
facts are literally a _danger_ to their imaginary belief systems about
Apple products.
o Facts instantly _destroy_ imaginary belief systems built by MARKETING

Jeorg, like all Apple apologists, has no adult defense to facts.
o That's why Joerg attacks me, the person, simply because I bear facts

o Whether they are Type I, Type II, or Type III Apple apologists
Apple apologists have no _adult_ response to facts

Joerg just proved it - which is why apologists hate me
o They can't stand that I speak facts about Apple products

NOTE: I speak facts about all products; it's only that Apple newsgroups are
filled to the brim with these Type I, Type II, and Type III apologists.
o Type I apologists (e.g., nospam) defend Apple MARKETING to the core
o Type II apologists (e.g., sms) believe MARKETING sans fact checking
o Type III apologists (e.g., Joerg) self identify as Apple cultists

Joerg Lorenz is an Apple apologist of the Type III category
o Joerg is a cultist whose very self worth is tied to Apple MARKETING

These Type III apologists (e.g., Jolly Roger, Lewis, BK, Chris et al.)
viciously attack the _bearer_ of facts because facts are a danger to them.

The adults on this newsgroup will note that my facts are _never_ wrong
o That's not because I'm smart (I'm just average in intelligence)

It's because I do not bull**** (like Type I apologists, e.g., nospam)
o And because I _check_ my facts (unlike Type II apologists, e.g., sms)

In two decades of posting scores of posts a day to Usenet nobody has ever
even once found my facts to be materially wrong.

What Apologists like Joerg can't stand are my assessments of those facts

But what these apologists don't realize is that _everyone_ who is logical
and reasonable assesses those facts the _same_ way that I do.

What these apologists really can't stand is they have no defense to facts.
--
This week in the news...
"[Judge] Gonzalez Rogers told [Apple], You can't just say it - you

o Federal Judge Tosses Apple Counterclaims Against Fortnite Maker
https://www.courthousenews.com/judge-tosses-apple-counterclaims-against-fortnite-maker/
Old November 12th 20, 05:28 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,rec.photo.digital,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Arlen Holder

On Thu, 12 Nov 2020 15:37:41 +0100, Joerg Lorenz wrote:

I do know what it means.

But I also know you must trust the provider of the encryption not to
have produced a back door...

'Is Google Drive secure?

You have to ask yourself why you are using Android in the first place.

For the _adults_ on this newsgroup...
o This conversation between two known Type III apologists is revealing!

The first, presumably Alan Baker (whom I have killfiled, which is rare for
me, since very few people do I plonk even after decades on Usenet) believes
Apple MARKETING but not what is reported reliably in the media on cloud
storage:
o iCloud backups are NOT encrypted, by JF Mezei
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/-EA9TYUeVhk

The second, Joerg Lorenz, seems to be intimating that iOS is, somehow,
magically "safer" simply because Apple paints entire sides of buildings
claiming that case (where the facts show that iOS is no safer than Android
is):
o What is the factual truth about PRIVACY differences or similarities between the Android & iOS mobile phone ecosystems? https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/MiZixhidmOs

It's funny because _both_ apologists only believe Apple MARKETING.
o They're utterly immune to actual facts

Both self identify with the image that Apple portrays
o Which is why they're utterly immune to even the simplest of basic facts.
--
What these apologists really can't stand is they have no defense to facts.
Old November 12th 20, 05:49 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,rec.photo.digital,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Arlen Holder

On Thu, 12 Nov 2020 09:19:11 -0700, 123456789 wrote:

Alan Baker wrote:

'Is Google Drive secure?

Your files are being read by Google. As you already know, Google
harvests your data for its own purposes. So while Google might be
keeping your files secure, they are certainly not private.'

I do my own local encryption of sensitive files before I upload them to
Google Drive using an old version of FolderLatch.exe. Probably wouldn't
pass CIA muster but still makes me feel better. I don't do non-sensitive
stuff like photos. That way they're always available to bore people with
no matter which device I'm carrying...

*Everything put to the iCloud is read _and_ analyzed by Apple*
o Some of that is _automatically_ sent to law enforcement, unencrypted.

Read details here from Apple owners themselves (i.e., it's not my thread):
o *iCloud backups are _NOT_ encrypted*, by JF Mezei
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/-EA9TYUeVhk

BTW, it's hilarious that anyone is responding to Alan Baker, who, like
Joerg Lorenz, has proven time and again to be Dunning Kruger Quadrant 1
(i.e., both incredibly ignorant & incredibly confident at the same time).

Essentially, all Type III apologists like Joerg & Alan believe _only_ what
Apple MARKETING has fed them to believe, which they equate to their self
worth system (which is why they're utterly immune to facts, no matter
what).

o Why are apologists like Alan Baker so fantastically immune to basics skills an adult should have on the Internet?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/EiNl6hyMBDo

Note in that thread that it's incomprehensible that _anyone_ could be as
ignorant as Alan Baker proved he was, and Joerg Lorenz did the same thing
when he claimed all facts that were not reported in German media (e.g.,
anything from the BBC) were wrong. (I don't have a link to that thread as
I'd have to dig it up as it wasn't my thread so it's buried there but if he
wants to challenge me on the facts, I will dig it up & he knows that).
--
Apple takes away functionality from users so they can then sell it back.
Old November 12th 20, 05:55 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,rec.photo.digital,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Arlen Holder

On Thu, 12 Nov 2020 16:49:11 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

*Everything put to the iCloud is read _and_ analyzed by Apple*
o Some of that is _automatically_ sent to law enforcement, unencrypted.

Ooops. That was supposed to be "manually" sent to LE (i.e., the metadata
analysis performed _automatically_ by Apple on all your iCloud uploads).

More details in this long Apple owners' thread (i.e., I didn't author it):
Old November 12th 20, 07:14 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,rec.photo.digital,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Frank Slootweg

Chris Green wrote:
Arlen Holder wrote:

Google is also introducing a new policy of deleting data from inactive
accounts that haven't been logged in to for at least two years."

The perfect backup! :-)

To be fair, Google has recently (some months ago?) informed its users
- well, it at least informed me - to set up a 'Plan what happens to your
data if you can't use your Google Account anymore'. It's actually a
quite elaborate facility which accounts for all kinds of contingencies.

Have a look at the 'Inactive Account Manager' in your account.

https://myaccount.google.com/inactive

(You get there from the main page - 'Data & Personalisation' -
'Download, delete or make a plan for your data' - 'Make a plan for your
account')
Old November 12th 20, 07:22 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,rec.photo.digital,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Alan Baker[_2_]

On 2020-11-12 8:28 a.m., Arlen Holder wrote:
On Thu, 12 Nov 2020 15:37:41 +0100, Joerg Lorenz wrote:

I do know what it means.

But I also know you must trust the provider of the encryption not to
have produced a back door...

'Is Google Drive secure?

You have to ask yourself why you are using Android in the first place.

For the _adults_ on this newsgroup...
o This conversation between two known Type III apologists is revealing!

The first, presumably Alan Baker (whom I have killfiled, which is rare for
me, since very few people do I plonk even after decades on Usenet) believes
Apple MARKETING but not what is reported reliably in the media on cloud
storage:
o iCloud backups are NOT encrypted, by JF Mezei
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/-EA9TYUeVhk

JF Mezei is "the media"?

iCloud backups ARE encrypted...

....but Apple also has a key.

'The question even came up in a Speigle interview with Apple's CEO, Tim
Cook, translated by Google:

"Our users have a key there, and we have one. We do this because some
users lose or forget their key and then expect help from us to get their
data back. It is difficult to estimate when we will change this
practice. But I think that in the future it will be regulated like the
devices. We will therefore no longer have a key for this in the future."'

https://www.imore.com/apples-icloud-backup-plans-and-fbi

Apple being able to decrypt iCloud backups is not them not being
encrypted at all.

Old November 12th 20, 07:22 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,rec.photo.digital,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Alan Baker[_2_]

Old November 12th 20, 07:23 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,rec.photo.digital,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Alan Baker[_2_]

On 2020-11-12 8:55 a.m., Arlen Holder wrote:
On Thu, 12 Nov 2020 16:49:11 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

*Everything put to the iCloud is read _and_ analyzed by Apple*
o Some of that is _automatically_ sent to law enforcement, unencrypted.

Ooops. That was supposed to be "manually" sent to LE (i.e., the metadata
analysis performed _automatically_ by Apple on all your iCloud uploads).

So you made a factual error...

....as you can hardly claim that "automatically" was just a typo.

:-)
Old November 12th 20, 07:25 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,rec.photo.digital,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Paul[_10_]

Arlen Holder wrote:
On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 19:15:24 -0800, Brutus wrote:

By the by Costco has a special for a Seagate 8TB outboard hard drive for $119.99....

Funny thing you mention the Costco special of a few months ago & this month

I have both the Costco Seagate 5GB & 8GB external drive.
o For some reason, the 8GB drive _requires_ its own 12VDC power to work.

For the life of me, I can't understand why.
o I get it that the 8GB drive has bells & whistles (powered USB ports).

But why couldn't they design it to work off of the desktop USB also?

The 8TB drive is 3.5".

The power requirements are 12V for motor, 5V for logic.

3.5" drives are available up to 14TB or so in capacity
(at least, at your nearest retailer you might find them).
Some of the larger ones than that, are only intended
for data centers (host managed versus drive managed).

The 5TB drive is a 2.5". It's the largest 2.5"
they make. It runs off 5V only. 5V for motor, 5V for logic.
Generally 2.5" drives try to draw no more than 1 ampere,
and this occurs during spinup. The current consumed on
the small 15mm tall 2.5" drives, drops back once they're
up to speed.

The 2.5" drives come in a variety of heights. 7mm & 9.5mm
is useful in a laptop. The laptop bay is not big
enough to support 15mm drives. The 15mm drives were
made specifically for usage in portable external
enclosures. It's also why you don't tend to find
much information on 15mm ones, since they're not
intended to be sold as "raw" drives at retail.
As they don't fit in laptops, and nobody wants
a steady stream of customers bringing raw 15mm
drives back for a refund because they don't fit.

External drives have a USB connector. Some drives used
in such devices, the USB connector is part of the drive,
and the drive cannot be "shucked" and removed for usage
inside a SATA computer. Other external drives, there is a
separate controller board which converts SATA protocol
to USB protocol. Those sorts of drives can be taken
apart and the disk reused. It's possible the 8TB Seagate
mentioned, a 3.5", can be removed from the enclosure and
reused. The warranty is likely void if the drive is
used in this way (outside of its housing). Running the
drive serial number on the warranty page, will show the
drive itself in the bare state, has no warranty. The number
on the housing could indicate a valid warranty exists for
the entire item.

Paul
Old November 12th 20, 07:56 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,rec.photo.digital,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
SMS

On 11/11/2020 9:26 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

On 2020-11-11 2:03 p.m., Arlen Holder wrote:
On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 20:48:14 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

Â*Â* Google is also introducing a new policy of deleting data from
inactive
Â*Â* accounts that haven't been logged in to for at least two years."

The perfect backup! :-)

By the byÂ* Costco has a special for a Seagate 8TB outboard hard drive
for $119.99....

For a while Best Buy had 8TB WD Red drives inside a USB housing for that
price or less.Â* Maybe last Black Friday.Â*Â* Remove it from the housing
and you had a really nice internal drive.

Be careful doing that these days. Some of the external drives have the
USB controller built onto the PCB with no SATA interface available to
the user.