Olympus dalliance with DSLRs over?

Old May 24th 10, 03:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner

Default Olympus dalliance with DSLRs over?

In rec.photo.digital Bruce wrote:
No it doesn't! It looks good for DSLRs until you realise, from Page
17, that Olympus considers Micro Four Thirds to be a digital SLR.

There is no mention of Four Thirds anywhere in the document. Thanks
to Page 17, all DSLR references are to *Micro* Four Thirds.

Well, m4/3 is closer to a DSLR than anything else (it's at least
"DSL"), and the only other option specifically mentioned in imaging is
"Compact Digital cameras", which is clearly not how Olympus is
positioning m4/3. "All A are B" is not the same thing as "All B are A",
as most of us learned in high school math, remember? Just because "All
m4/3 are DSLRs" doesn't mean "All DSLRs are m4/3." We know with good
certainty that the "E-5" will be announced around Photokina this year, so
the idea that they're about to drop the entire 4/3 line is, in a word,
silly, and divining this from reading the tea leaves of four bullet
points is doubly so.

More general thoughts...this "strategic plan" is the worst kind of
boardroom babble. They actually say "maximizing synergies"! "We will
be admired in international society..." Oh, I see, as opposed to all
those other businesses whose goal is to be despised. This is hardly
unusual for business presentations, but I hope, for Olympus' sake, that
this is just the handout, and there's a meatier planning document around
somewhere.

--
Oh to have a lodge in some vast wilderness. Where rumors of oppression
and deceit, of unsuccessful and successful wars may never reach me