Corel Photo Paint v. Photoshop Elements

Old January 29th 05, 03:41 AM

Default Corel Photo Paint v. Photoshop Elements

I would be .interested in views on how Photo Paint 11 compares to Adobe
Photoshop Elements

Old January 29th 05, 02:47 PM
Celtic Boar

PhotoPaint is closer to the full-blown version of PhotoShop than it is to
Elements.

Old January 29th 05, 03:20 PM
Charlie Self

Celtic Boar notes:

PhotoPaint is closer to the full-blown version of PhotoShop than it is to
Elements

True, but a lot cheaper. I'm now using PS Pro 9, a change from Elements 2, and
am very much pleased with the lower level of effort needed to imporve my
photos. PS Pro is easier to use in just about every way.

Charlie Self
"They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some
kind of federal program." George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri, November 2,
2000

Old January 29th 05, 04:54 PM
bmoag

I used Photopaint for several years but switched to Photoshop. Photopaint
allows full color management just as Photoshop as well as most of the same
image manipulation tools. However Photoshop, as complex as it is, is
relatively more straightforward in its command structure and in learning
operations. Photopaint has a few built in filters that are actually superior
to what Photoshop offers. Photopaint comes packaged with Draw and a few
other programs that make the whole package a real bargain. Photopaint does
not offer the kind of support for digital camera images that CS contains
and, according to Corel, there are no plans to offer these for Photopaint. I
suspect that Paintshop Pro, now owned by Corel, will supplant Photopaint in
the Corel Draw package.

Old January 29th 05, 05:08 PM
JunkMonkey

Because it is a part of the Corel Graphics Suite, it is aimed at
professional graphics artists. There are no wizards to speak of, there is
superb color management, there is a really useful and powerful cutout tool
not found in other editors, and there is not one but TWO different scripting
languages (i.e. Adobe actions)!

There is the original Corelscript, which longtime CGS users are familiar
with, and there is Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications (a subset of VB
proper). What this means, is that Photopaint automation can be incorporated
into cross application MS Office and Corel Office work flows. For instance,
you could create a work flow to retrieve a photo from disk, auto correct
contrast - levels - color, etc., and then auto paste it into a PowerPoint
presentation or brochure (or webpage, for that matter). Even if you never
need cross application automation, the incredible programmability of
Photopaint with VBA opens up a whole new level of "actions" only dreamed of
in the past.

It's the difference between a tricycle and the kind of bike that Lance
Armstrong would ride.

Corel seems to be drifting away from Macintosh support, I think you can
still get a Mac version of CGS 11, however it isn't clear to me that CGS 12
has Mac support. This trend may, or may not be reversed in the future.
Some well heeled investors bought Corel last year and then Corel bought JASC
(Paint Shop Pro) a couple of months ago.

oups.com...

Old January 29th 05, 05:19 PM
JunkMonkey

In my opinion, the support for downloading images directly from a camera is
a useless function for a professional level editor. It has been my
experience that at some point, most photographers (at least those who shoot
a lot of photos and fill multiple media cards) stop downloading directly
from the camera and use a card reader. Besides, since WinME forward, the
WIA function built into Windows, makes application specific camera drivers
redundant.

om...

Old January 29th 05, 08:51 PM
Ron Hunter

bmoag wrote:
I used Photopaint for several years but switched to Photoshop. Photopaint
allows full color management just as Photoshop as well as most of the same
image manipulation tools. However Photoshop, as complex as it is, is
relatively more straightforward in its command structure and in learning
operations. Photopaint has a few built in filters that are actually superior
to what Photoshop offers. Photopaint comes packaged with Draw and a few
other programs that make the whole package a real bargain. Photopaint does
not offer the kind of support for digital camera images that CS contains
and, according to Corel, there are no plans to offer these for Photopaint. I
suspect that Paintshop Pro, now owned by Corel, will supplant Photopaint in
the Corel Draw package.

I have used (or tried to) several Corel applications in the past, and
ended up deleting them. It seems that the way I want to work just isn't
possible with Corel software. Everyone has a different way of doing
thing, and Corel and I just don't go at things the same way. I can
bludgeon PSE 3 into doing most of what I want, even though it might
force me to rethink the order, or method, sometimes. I have a definite
love-hate relationship with the Organizer function of PSE3.

--
Ron Hunter
Old January 30th 05, 12:27 AM
YoYo

I would even rather have Corel Photo Paint 10 then Photoshop Elements
The USM works better with Photo Paint 10 then the one in Photoshop 5,6, or 7

oups.com...