It Appears Nikon Caught UP

Old January 27th 08, 05:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
measekite

Default It Appears Nikon Caught UP

In the recent past (except for the Nikon D70/80 vs the Canon DRXT) Canon technology was a step or two ahead of Nikon in camera bodies.  Nikon appears to have always made a more substantial lens but the optical quality appeared to be on par with each other.

Today, it appears that both Canon and Nikon are about as good as each other and Canon's technological advantage appears to have dwindled.  When looking at their DSLR offering, for the most part, I cannot see a difference where one can say one is better than the other.  Except that the Canon menu system seems, on the surface, to be more intuitive.

However, when looking at the entire line of point and shoot cameras Canon is way far ahead.  So if one wanted to use both types then Canon might be a better choice.  Less learning and better compatibility.

I am curious how others see the differences between Canon and Nikon today, expecially with the new models including the soon to be shipped Canon 450D.  (Too bad they did not make it a little larger in the grip area)

I do not think one can really tell the difference in results.

It seems to me that Nikkor lenses feel more substantial.

Canon L lenses seem to cost too much unless you are a pro.

So what do you think.
Old January 27th 08, 09:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ali

I think that Nikon have been very clever and with the D3, they have not
tried to take on either the 1D III or the 1Ds III. Instead, they have
launched something in between the two. As a result, they have a very clear
USP, which could potentially draw users from both Canon bodies.

I also think that they will take a some 5D users who were previosly Nikon
fans, but because Nikon didn't offer a 35mm sensor switched to Canon. Those
people may now switch back to Nikon. In addition to this, also 5D users
that want more features on their full frame body, but can't afford the 1Ds
III.

For me, I personally prefer the high end lense range from Canon over Nikon,
but that's just personal preference. When it comes to bodies, even though I
am a Canon fan, the D3 looks like a good body.

. ..

Old January 27th 08, 10:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
SMS

Ali wrote:

I also think that they will take a some 5D users who were previosly
Nikon fans, but because Nikon didn't offer a 35mm sensor switched to
Canon. Those people may now switch back to Nikon.

Now that all the users that switched to Canon have bought a whole new
collection of lenses, they aren't going to switch back just because
Nikon finally came out with a full-frame digital body.

In addition to this,
also 5D users that want more features on their full frame body, but
can't afford the 1Ds III.

Canon really needs to come out with the next generation of 5D, which
they will likely do sometime in 2008.

For me, I personally prefer the high end lense range from Canon over
Nikon, but that's just personal preference. When it comes to bodies,
even though I am a Canon fan, the D3 looks like a good body.

Indeed, one of the major reasons so many professionals switched to Canon
was the wider range of high end lenses that aren't available from Nikon,
including the lack of anything as good as Canon's BWLs (big white lenses).
Old January 27th 08, 11:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charles[_2_]

So what do you think.

The competition is good for consumers.
Old January 27th 08, 11:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , SMS
wrote:

Ali wrote:

I also think that they will take a some 5D users who were previosly
Nikon fans, but because Nikon didn't offer a 35mm sensor switched to
Canon. Those people may now switch back to Nikon.

Now that all the users that switched to Canon have bought a whole new
collection of lenses, they aren't going to switch back just because
Nikon finally came out with a full-frame digital body.

if the pain of switching to canon didn't bother them, then the pain of
switching back won't either. plus, there are some long time canon
users switching to nikon for the first time too. there will always be
a little churn because some people are fixated on the camera brand,
thinking that is the only thing that matters.

For me, I personally prefer the high end lense range from Canon over
Nikon, but that's just personal preference. When it comes to bodies,
even though I am a Canon fan, the D3 looks like a good body.

Indeed, one of the major reasons so many professionals switched to Canon
was the wider range of high end lenses that aren't available from Nikon,
including the lack of anything as good as Canon's BWLs (big white lenses).

nonsense. both nikon and canon have excellent lenses at all tiers.
Old January 27th 08, 11:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cynicor[_3_]

Charles wrote:

So what do you think.
The competition is good for consumers.

I think that HTML posting on Usenet is annoying as hell.
Old January 27th 08, 11:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charles[_2_]

"Cynicor" wrote in message
t...
Charles wrote:
So what do you think.
The competition is good for consumers.

I think that HTML posting on Usenet is annoying as hell.

I find you equally annoying. Have a nice day.

Old January 28th 08, 08:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Adam[_3_]

Yes.

news

Old January 28th 08, 08:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Adam[_3_]

Yeah, switching lenses isn't a big deal.

With high end Canon and Nikon lenses, the depreciation is pretty good. I
have bought lenses to see what they were like and then sold them again if I
didn't get on with them. Same goes with changing brands. It's not ideal,
but is less hassle than changing cars for example (and not as expensive),
which people are doing all the time.

Old January 28th 08, 11:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
____

In article , "Ali"
wrote:

For me, I personally prefer the high end lense range from Canon over Nikon,
but that's just personal preference. When it comes to bodies, even though I
am a Canon fan, the D3 looks like a good body.

For years I shot Canon film equipment, then they dropped the FD lens
mount. Since I only had a few Canon lenses and mostly shot Medium format
and Large format I had no need to invest in Canon EOS mount lenses. When
I started doing wedding as a subcontractor four years ago I ditched the
Canon line and went Nikon- I've always like Nikon style for bodies.
Canon bodies seem kludgey by comparison.

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.