Best method of cleaning a lens?

Old August 7th 06, 12:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Gremlin

Default Best method of cleaning a lens?

Hi All

I have some Canon lenses (70-200 f2.8 and 24-70 f2.8) that I want to clean
(optical surface) and want some thoughts on the best way to do it. They are
regularly brushed before use, have no obvious finger or other marks, but are
showing a slight "haze" when held to a bright light.

I have received suggestions ranging from breathing on the lens, then
cleaning with a light circular motion using a microfibre cloth, through to
sprays/solvents etc. I am not really ken on sprays as I have the feeling
they they may either damage the lens coating, or perhaps find their way into
the operating mechanism (unlikely I know, but maybe I am a little paranoid).

Thanks for your suggestions.

Old August 7th 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
AaronW

I use lens cleaning solution on microfiber cloth. After the lens is
dry, I use lenspen.

http://digitcamera.tripod.com/#slr

Old August 8th 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Gremlin wrote:
Hi All

I have some Canon lenses (70-200 f2.8 and 24-70 f2.8) that I want to clean
(optical surface) and want some thoughts on the best way to do it. They are
regularly brushed before use, have no obvious finger or other marks, but are
showing a slight "haze" when held to a bright light.

If the haze is internal then you should refer the lens to a shop for an
estimate.

I have received suggestions ranging from breathing on the lens, then
cleaning with a light circular motion using a microfibre cloth, through to
sprays/solvents etc. I am not really ken on sprays as I have the feeling
they they may either damage the lens coating, or perhaps find their way into
the operating mechanism (unlikely I know, but maybe I am a little paranoid).

To remove any surface 'film' I use Kodak Lens cleaner and Kodak tissues.
Vary sparing amounts of liquid are all that are needed. I do this
less than once/year per lens and only when needed.

For dust and whatnot I use a "camel" hair brush to remove the dust and
then microfiber cloth if needed for whatever else may get there
(fingerprints for instance).

I've _never_ cleaned a rear element of one of my lenses beyond blowing
off a spec of dust. I do make absolutely sure that the rear element is
either in the camera or capped.

Don't be excessively worried about coatings, they are quite hard. With
common sense care your lenses can be blemish free for a lifetime. And
if a lens front element does get a scratch you can have the scratch
filled with black ink: won't change the image at all and will prevent
flare artifacts.

Finally, whenever working where there is a lot of blowing (sand, dust,
rain, mist, salt, grit, ...) then use a filter as an additional
protection and shelter the gear when changing lenses.

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old August 8th 06, 05:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Sheldon

"Gremlin" wrote in message
Hi All

I have some Canon lenses (70-200 f2.8 and 24-70 f2.8) that I want to clean
(optical surface) and want some thoughts on the best way to do it. They
are regularly brushed before use, have no obvious finger or other marks,
but are showing a slight "haze" when held to a bright light.

I have received suggestions ranging from breathing on the lens, then
cleaning with a light circular motion using a microfibre cloth, through to
sprays/solvents etc. I am not really ken on sprays as I have the feeling
they they may either damage the lens coating, or perhaps find their way
into the operating mechanism (unlikely I know, but maybe I am a little
paranoid).

Thanks for your suggestions.

I usually breath on the glass and use my cotton t-shirt. But then, all of
my lenses have filters on them so the only thing that ever gets dirty is the
filter. There's no reason why the rear element should get dirty. And, when
all else fails I use Kodak lens fluid and lens tissue. Works as good as
anything out there. About the only way you're gonna scratch the lens is if
you get some dirt trapped in the tissue or lens cleaning cloth.

Old August 25th 06, 12:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
TT

In article .com,
"tomm42" wrote:

Gremlin wrote:
Hi All

I have some Canon lenses (70-200 f2.8 and 24-70 f2.8) that I want to clean
(optical surface) and want some thoughts on the best way to do it. They are
regularly brushed before use, have no obvious finger or other marks, but are
showing a slight "haze" when held to a bright light.

I have received suggestions ranging from breathing on the lens, then
cleaning with a light circular motion using a microfibre cloth, through to
sprays/solvents etc. I am not really ken on sprays as I have the feeling
they they may either damage the lens coating, or perhaps find their way into
the operating mechanism (unlikely I know, but maybe I am a little paranoid).

Thanks for your suggestions.

On the optical instruments in my lab I use absolute Ethanol, careful
not to touch plastic or rubber components, using COTTON balls to clean
the lens. After the ethanol we generally just blow on the lens, clean
off again with cotton ball. Sometimes there is a little cotton residue
left that just blows off with a hand blower. Now with camera lenses I
have to admit I am a little more cavalier. If they are real bad I'll
dust them off with a fine brush, then determine if they need the
alcohol treatment or just a clean (sometimes not so) COTTON Tshirt. I
don't clean my camera lenses often, you can have a nasty looking lens
and not have much effect, on the image. That said of course the best
images come from a clean lens. I try to keep a lens cap on my lenses at
all times, this minimizes dust, inadvertant finger touching etc.
So my advise is, keep your leses capped, when not in use, and don't
apply any undue pressure when cleaning, use COTTON balls, or surgical
cotton, Kodak makes about the only lens paper I'd use, most other
brands are too stiff. When using lens paper don't use a single piece,
take about a quarter pack and roll like a cigarette use the end of the
roll to clean. Try to keep the lens as clean as possible without
cleaning. Obsessive cleaning leads to scratches.

Sometimes I would notice lens cleaning fluid leaves residue so I tried
steam off a pot of boiling water. No more residue. Maybe if you have
grease on, start with the lens cleaning fluid. Then the steam. Though
I wonder if the steam could cause humidity or mold problems. I was
living in a very dry environment at the time and owned the lenses for
not more than a couple of years.

At some camera stores a few years ago I noticed they were selling what
looked like a felt pen with maybe a 1/4" or 1/2" diameter pad that you
rubbed on the glass. It was supposed to be awesome. Cost around $30 I
think. I wonder if that's still around. And how long it tends to last.
Old August 25th 06, 12:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Frank ess

TT wrote:

Sometimes I would notice lens cleaning fluid leaves residue so I
tried
steam off a pot of boiling water. No more residue. Maybe if you
have
grease on, start with the lens cleaning fluid. Then the steam.
Though I wonder if the steam could cause humidity or mold problems.
I was living in a very dry environment at the time and owned the
lenses for not more than a couple of years.

At some camera stores a few years ago I noticed they were selling
what
looked like a felt pen with maybe a 1/4" or 1/2" diameter pad that
you
rubbed on the glass. It was supposed to be awesome. Cost around
$30
I think. I wonder if that's still around. And how long it tends to
last.

When I was Nikonning I bought one of their branded "lens pens" that
matches your description. It seemed to work. t was 14.95USD, or 9.95;
I disremember.

I've been careful with my Canon equipment and haven't needed to do
other than blow, so I can't report if it works on Canon stuff.

--
Frank ess

Old August 25th 06, 07:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
TT

Sometimes I would notice lens cleaning fluid leaves residue
so I tried steam off a pot of boiling water. No more
residue. Maybe if you have
grease on, start with the lens cleaning fluid. Then the steam.
Though I wonder if the steam could cause humidity or mold problems.
I was living in a very dry environment at the time and owned the
lenses for not more than a couple of years.

At some camera stores a few years ago I noticed they were
selling what looked like a felt pen with maybe a 1/4" or
1/2" diameter pad that you
rubbed on the glass. It was supposed to be awesome. Cost
around $30 I think. I wonder if that's still around.
And how long it tends to last.

When I was Nikonning I bought one of their branded "lens pens" that
matches your description. It seemed to work. t was 14.95USD, or 9.95;
I disremember.

Yes - that must have been the same. Great price. I guess you have to
be gentle with it. Harder to control than a long fibre brush you can
just wipe with.
Old August 26th 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Gremlin wrote:

Hi All

I have some Canon lenses (70-200 f2.8 and 24-70 f2.8) that I want to clean
(optical surface) and want some thoughts on the best way to do it.

What about using the sensor cleaning solvent?
Eclipse = methanol

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1
Old August 26th 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Buy_Sell

http://www.lenspen.com/409

Old August 26th 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Buy_Sell

Here is the microscopic view:

http://www.lenspen.com/409/64/