Fastest point and shoots??

Old June 7th 05, 03:35 AM
chas

Default Fastest point and shoots??

Can anyone give me some good advice on what are some of the faster p&s
cameras out there today? By fast I'm referring to shutter lag etc. I'm
looking for something for Street photography that is fast, has a
reasonably wide lens and possibly a fold-out LCD.

Thanks,
Chas.

--
chas

Old June 7th 05, 08:57 PM
David Arnstein

In article 1118112130.ad756f28ceaa910586e95b198843e66b@teran ews,
chas wrote:

Can anyone give me some good advice on what are some of the faster p&s
cameras out there today? By fast I'm referring to shutter lag etc. I'm
looking for something for Street photography that is fast, has a
reasonably wide lens and possibly a fold-out LCD.

I bought a Sony Cybershot DSCP200 a few monthes back. Like you, I was
very interested in speed. The 'P200 was my first choice at that time.

No fold-out viewer, though.
--
David Arnstein

Old June 9th 05, 04:41 AM
DHB

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 22:35:49 -0400, chas
wrote:

Can anyone give me some good advice on what are some of the faster p&s
cameras out there today? By fast I'm referring to shutter lag etc. I'm
looking for something for Street photography that is fast, has a
reasonably wide lens and possibly a fold-out LCD.

Thanks,
Chas.

My suggestion would be the very reasonably priced Canon A95
(5MP) with a 1.8" fold out & swivel LCD. But to make it really fast,
as in 1/10th of a second of shutter lag, you need to set-up & use the
"C" (custom) mode as shown he

http://albert.achtung.com/cameras/A80/index7.html#SNAP

This link & info. was intended for the A80 (4MP) camera but it
works great with the A95 also but the LCD display must be on or the
manual pre-focused setting won't work. I won't waste time explaining
it other than to say that I have used this concept & programmed my A95
with slightly different settings for my needs & got some great action
shots of snow skiers that would otherwise have been impossible with
this or most any other P&S camera because "auto focus" is what takes
the most time.

Also I thought that having the LCD on would drain the
batteries so I took 2 more sets of Panasonic rechargeable NiMH 2300
Mah. batteries with me but never needed them. The 1st set outlasted
me, I took 308 pictures that day & was impressed with both the camera
& this pre-focus method. My only complain is that I wish the A95 had
2 "C" settings like the A80 does because I would program 1 for indoor
use & the other for outdoor use. For me however, it's not a big deal
to change a few things when needed.

Hope this info. helps you & or others.

The A95 is selling for $260.00 USD @ B&H now.

Respectfully, DHB

..
to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918