Tokina 80-400 II

Old March 12th 04, 05:25 PM
Peter Patershuk

Default Tokina 80-400 II

Hi all,
Could you please give your opinions on the Tokina 80-400 II lens for a
serious armature. I can't afford the Canon 100-400 or the Sigma 80-400 image
stabilized lenses. The other lenses I am looking at is the Sigma 70-300 APO
macro, Tamron 70-300 LD macro, Tokina 24-200, Tamron and sigma super zooms.
Or just go with the Tamron 24-135. I realize that I am all over the place on
what I am considering but just trying to get best quality for the dollar. I
already have the Digital Rebel with the 18-55 lens. Thanks Peter.

--
To reply please take out the
and no spaces in the address.

Old March 13th 04, 12:13 AM
Fred A. Miller

Peter Patershuk wrote:

Hi all,
Could you please give your opinions on the Tokina 80-400 II lens for a
serious armature. I can't afford the Canon 100-400 or the Sigma 80-400 image
stabilized lenses. The other lenses I am looking at is the Sigma 70-300 APO
macro, Tamron 70-300 LD macro, Tokina 24-200, Tamron and sigma super zooms.
Or just go with the Tamron 24-135. I realize that I am all over the place on
what I am considering but just trying to get best quality for the dollar. I
already have the Digital Rebel with the 18-55 lens. Thanks Peter.

Peter, from personal experience, save your money and buy Canon lenses -
they're worth it! Sigma ISN'T consistant, and construction ISN'T anywhere
near as good as Canon.

Fred

--
"...Linux, MS-DOS, and Windows XP (also known as the Good, the Bad, and
the Ugly)."
Old March 13th 04, 05:17 AM

Fred A. Miller wrote:
Peter Patershuk wrote:

Hi all,
Could you please give your opinions on the Tokina 80-400 II lens for a
serious armature. I can't afford the Canon 100-400 or the Sigma 80-400 image
stabilized lenses. The other lenses I am looking at is the Sigma 70-300 APO
macro, Tamron 70-300 LD macro, Tokina 24-200, Tamron and sigma super zooms.
Or just go with the Tamron 24-135. I realize that I am all over the place on
what I am considering but just trying to get best quality for the dollar. I
already have the Digital Rebel with the 18-55 lens. Thanks Peter.

Peter, from personal experience, save your money and buy Canon lenses -
they're worth it! Sigma ISN'T consistant, and construction ISN'T anywhere
near as good as Canon.

Fred

The thing to note is that the digital rebel, like the 10D and D60 has
a pixel spacing of 7.4 microns, and a resolution similar to fine
grained fuji velvia (iso 50) film. Thus you need sharp lenses
or you will simply get soft images. For example, the canon 100-400
gives ok but soft images on the above canon cameras (and with
velvia on 35mm cameras). Cheap zooms will probably not be any
better. If you were using the lenses on film cameras with 400
speed film they would perform OK relative to the film resolution,
but not with the digital sensors. If you are looking for a telephoto,
I recommend from experience (having bought canon 70-210, 100-300 IS,
and 100-400 L IS lenses, then the 300 f/4 L IS) the canon 300 f/4
L IS lens (about $1,100 mail order). It is very sharp and you can
use a 1.4x TC and still have autofocus. The IS is well worth
the price as you can hand hold from moving platforms, like
cars, boats, horseback.

Roger
Photos, digital info at:
http://www.clarkvision.com

Old March 13th 04, 06:01 AM
Fred A. Miller

Fred A. Miller wrote:
Peter Patershuk wrote:

[...]

That is true.

gives ok but soft images on the above canon cameras (and with
velvia on 35mm cameras). Cheap zooms will probably not be any
better. If you were using the lenses on film cameras with 400
speed film they would perform OK relative to the film resolution,
but not with the digital sensors. If you are looking for a telephoto,
I recommend from experience (having bought canon 70-210, 100-300 IS,
and 100-400 L IS lenses, then the 300 f/4 L IS) the canon 300 f/4
L IS lens (about $1,100 mail order). It is very sharp and you can
use a 1.4x TC and still have autofocus. The IS is well worth
the price as you can hand hold from moving platforms, like
cars, boats, horseback.

Quite. I'd purchased a *-200 IS USM lens except that more of what I'll use it
for will be tripod shots or braced well.

Fred

Old March 13th 04, 11:55 PM
Scott Elliot

Several years ago I tried to compare the Canon, Sigma, Tamron and Tokina
lenses available for Canon in the 80-400 mm range. I ended up with a Sigma
50-500 EX.. If you shoot hand held very often the Canon 100-400 IS has an
advantage because of the image stabilization, but from a tripod it was not
as sharp as the Sigma 50-500 when both were shot at 400 mm. Even at 500mm
the Sigma was a little sharper than the Canon at 400 mm. I only compared
two lenses, so results could be different with other samples.

Scott Elliot
http://www3.telus.net/selliot/