Getting chidren to smile

Old October 11th 03, 05:45 PM
Steven Church

Default Getting chidren to smile

I take individual photographs of children at sporting events. A problem I
have (especially with 5 - 8 year olds) is getting them to smile. Are there
any suggestions / tips anyone could offer?

Old October 12th 03, 01:39 AM
The Wench

Talk to them before you start the shoot and the parents. Find out about
something that recently happened that might be funny or talk to them about
something they like. They'll smile.

. com...

Old October 12th 03, 06:16 AM
zeitgeist

I take individual photographs of children at sporting events. A problem I
have (especially with 5 - 8 year olds) is getting them to smile. Are there
any suggestions / tips anyone could offer?

that age group can be really easy. Call them Mr President, Mr Astronaught.
Mr Fireman, kids of that age eat that up, especially boys.

Or just call them the wrong name, changing it each time, Jim, stand right
there, (ah, my name's Joe) ok Jeremy, put one hand in your pocket, (no my
name's Joe) fine Jason, turn your head this way. Girls seem to fall for
being called a boys name.

kids just can't help smiling.

for a hard ass, of almost any age, I'll pause, and with the pose set and
camera ready, I'll look at them, and deadpan, almost seriously, "well,
don't look so mean and nasty" and 99 out of a hundred they will give you a
brilliant smile, I mean it works on gang bangers, all but the most
professional poker faces. Its something genetic to disarm a potential or
unintended threat.

Old October 13th 03, 03:45 AM
Don

I take individual photographs of children at sporting events. A problem

have (especially with 5 - 8 year olds) is getting them to smile. Are

there
any suggestions / tips anyone could offer?

Why is it necessary for them to smile. I prefer no smiles or at least a non
coaxed smile.

Don

Old October 13th 03, 06:17 AM
Lionel

Word has it that on Sat, 11 Oct 2003 16:45:44 GMT, in this august forum,
"Steven Church" said:

I take individual photographs of children at sporting events. A problem I
have (especially with 5 - 8 year olds) is getting them to smile. Are there
any suggestions / tips anyone could offer?

Smiling (not leering!) at them, then making funny faces or noises often
works. They have to be relaxed though. If the child is nervous or tense,
you're out of luck. Don't let mum or dad try to pressure them into
smiling, because it just makes things worse.