Kodak Silk ?? Paper

Old May 26th 04, 11:18 AM
K. Bibis

Default Kodak Silk ?? Paper

Some months ago i shot a wedding and printed on a really nice Kodak paper-if
i recall was called silk ? or something like that. It had a very nice matt
feel.

I'm now in a different country so cannot just go and ask that lab.
I tried to have alook at available Papers from Kodak but i oculd only find
Porta and Supra.

www.lab35.co.uk print on Royal Plus paper.
I couldnt find any places online that sell colr photographic paper. Would it
be more expensive for me to buy the paper and as k the lab to print on it ?

Also,
how is the film related to the paper ? I assume a let's say Supra Portra
paper will have similar charactheristics to the Potra film, so it's likely
to reproduce the image more faithfully ?

Thanks

p.s. Any UK labs with a wider selection of paper would be welcome.

Old May 26th 04, 12:34 PM
Nick Zentena

K. Bibis wrote:
Some months ago i shot a wedding and printed on a really nice Kodak paper-if
i recall was called silk ? or something like that. It had a very nice matt
feel.

I'm now in a different country so cannot just go and ask that lab.
I tried to have alook at available Papers from Kodak but i oculd only find
Porta and Supra.

What does it say on the back of your paper? The current pro papers are
Portra and Supra. Actually Portra Endura and Supra Endura.

www.lab35.co.uk print on Royal Plus paper.
I couldnt find any places online that sell colr photographic paper. Would it
be more expensive for me to buy the paper and as k the lab to print on it ?

Colour paper is relatively inexpensive to buy. Assuming you have a need
for the whole box or roll. The problem would be finding a lab willing to use
the paper you bring in. Paper prints differently and it takes a bit of setup
time to do it right. Maybe a pro lab would be willing to do it for you. Or
maybe you could find an amatuer that might be willing to do it for you. It's
not the sort of thing you can expect a high volume lab to do. With the need
to adjust to the paper you bring in the total cost would be higher.

Royal is one of Kodaks consumer papers. Supra should be better in every
way for normal photos. Portra better for wedding photos.

Also,
how is the film related to the paper ? I assume a let's say Supra Portra
paper will have similar charactheristics to the Potra film, so it's likely
to reproduce the image more faithfully ?

Paper and film are linked to some extent. But the Kodak papers seem to
have a repuation of playing nicer with other peoples papers. Portra papers
are designed to get the best result from Portra film.

Nick
Old May 26th 04, 12:50 PM
Gary W. McIntyre

In article c2%sc.31$YT4.23@newsfe5-win,
"K. Bibis" wrote:

[...]

Hi!

Silk would be the surface and not the specific paper type.
All the current Kodak papers are available in E (fine lustre), N (matte)
and F (glossy) surfaces... most labs I deal with offer F & N.

What you're looking for is Y surface (silk), which has a natural tooth
and is actually almost scanner proof... that is, when scanned on a
flatbed the image gets messed up due to the tooth in the paper.

The silk paper is pretty difficult to find, at least in Canada, but it
is part of the Portra family of papers.

http://www.kodak.com/global/plugins/.../products/pape
rs/enduraAppsGuide.pdf?id=0.1.16.14.28.14&lc=en

Call some labs and see if they offer the paper, I'm sure you will find
someone who uses it (and it is worth the trouble).

I doubt many labs would let you supply the paper as adding a new paper
type to a lab environment can be quite a bit of work, with lots of paper
wasted during calibration, bt maybe you can find someone.

Good luck!
Old May 27th 04, 03:19 PM
Norman Worth

What is usually called "silk" is the Kodak Y surface (cream white, luster,
silk). It used to be very popular for wedding photographs, and many wedding
photographers miss it. I haven't seen it in years. From time to time Kodak
has made color paper on this surface. (It used to make a couple of black
and white papers on it too, as did Forte more recently.) It may be that you
ran into some old stock or a special order item. Or maybe it's available
only in the UK. It may also be a paper designed for use in machines, rather
than a regular printing paper. These are listed in special photofinishing
materials catalogs and in a special place on their website. They come in
(very) long rolls.

?