Windows 10 update wipes out files and photos

Old October 11th 18, 03:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

Default Windows 10 update wipes out files and photos

On 2018-10-10 10:58, Neil wrote:
On 10/10/2018 10:25 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
On 10/10/2018 12.59, Neil wrote:

As I don't power up Windows often (I'm a Linux user), the day I use
Windows I tell it to search for updates now, instead of letting it there
for days waiting for the updates to come.

I don't read that as saying yes to optional updates: once I tell Windows
to search for updates it starts searching, then downloading, then
updating on its own, taking an awful long time to do it. Like two days
of updating and rebooting several times.

I take "optional" to mean an update that I can refuse to do, that it
actively asks me whether I want it or not. That did not happen.

I wrote that there are optional SETTINGS (read it again). One does not
have to enable IDK updates in any version of Win10, which makes them
"optional". That has nothing to do with whatever you are referring to
as "optional updates".

I'm still running WinXP (home) and Win 7 (work) to support legacy s/w
and an accounting program.* Both on Macs under a virtualizer.

From what I keep reading about Win 10 I shudder to think I may have to
go there some day... (different "editions" with different abilities and
limitations, arbitrary updates (just when you have to get something else
done...)

Many people don't understand Win10

Surely they shouldn't need to, any more than understand how a microprocessor works

They do, if they're going to screw with it.

Well a good OS shouldn't allow the user to create so many problems.

A good OS allows users to accomplish what they need to do. For many, if
not most, that means running the apps that they need, but for others it
means being able to configure the hardware and OS for special purposes.

I've used
and supported several machines running Win10 for over 2-1/2 years
without a single problem on any of them because I saw what was coming
and how to manage it during the Windows 8.x years.

Not every PC users feels they need to update so often and are happy with what they have so don't update partly due to cost of update or the percived hassle.
This is where Apple have it more sussed, by giving away major updates users are more willing to update especially when they don;t have tp pay for it, so more users update.

The updates aren't the issue. It's users that want to involve themselves
in a process they don't understand.

So, even though Win10
is my least favorite version of the OS, I can't say that it's
functionally any worse than earlier versions.

Not exactly a glowing refernce for a new OS if yuo;re comparing it with a 15 year old OS.

Well, I'm not comparing it to a 15 year old OS, and I don't know what
gave you that notiono.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old October 11th 18, 03:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Neil
wrote:

Many people don't understand Win10

Surely they shouldn't need to, any more than understand how a
microprocessor works

They do, if they're going to screw with it.

end users don't screw around with microprocessors and probably don't
even know which one is in whatever device they're using (nor do they
need to). they use whatever apps they need to do their work and then do
something else when they're done.

Well a good OS shouldn't allow the user to create so many problems.

A good OS allows users to accomplish what they need to do. For many, if
not most, that means running the apps that they need, but for others it
means being able to configure the hardware and OS for special purposes.

two different use cases.

a good os is optimized for one or the other, not both. a bad os tries
to do everything for everyone, and fails.
Old October 11th 18, 03:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MC[_3_]

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on October 25, 2018.

Ron C wrote:

On 10/11/2018 8:38 AM, MC wrote:
nospam wrote:

unfortunately, windows update is poorly implemented, often
occurring at the worst possible time.

I never know when mine is updating until I go to shut down. I then
see the "Update and Shut down" rather than just "Shut down" on the
Start menu. Then when I reboot next day it just goes into
"Configuring windows" for a couple of minutes and straight back to
desktop. No fuss, no bother, painless and straightforward. I see
no problem whatsoever and certainly no "worse possible time".

MC

I was running a test of a Halloween lighting program on a Win 10
machine and several hours into the test the damn machine did
an unexpected reboot. I normally run the program continuously
starting a few days before Halloween. seems the activity monitor
doesn't know this program is running. I've never had a Win 7
machine reboot on its own.
The last thing one wants is for the system to go down in the
middle of a 'show'.

Windows 10 is designed to ensure updates do, indeed, take place. It is
not, however, designed to update when it feels like it. This is so
that workflow is not disrupted. There are ways built into Windows 10
to allow you to control when (not if) and how the update is
implemented. If the update options and controls are set up correctly
on your PC then any disruptions to your "show" will not happen.

MC
Old October 11th 18, 04:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MC[_3_]

nospam wrote:

I never know when mine is updating until I go to shut down. I then
see the "Update and Shut down" rather than just "Shut down" on the
Start menu. Then when I reboot next day it just goes into
"Configuring windows" for a couple of minutes and straight back to
desktop. No fuss, no bother, painless and straightforward. I see
no problem whatsoever and certainly no "worse possible time".

then you're the exception

Probably because I have correctly set up the way updates work on my PC.

there are ****loads of examples and it's one of the biggest
complaints about win10.

I have not been through all the examples you have posted but most were
old examples dating back to when Windows 10 was new and/or prior to
when automatic updates were tweaked by MS. Most of these examples also
fall under the category of the user/admin not knowing how to prevent a
reboot/implementation during workflow hrs.

windows update is broken. it's that simple.

If it is I have not noticed it.

MC
Old October 11th 18, 05:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 10/11/2018 10:53 AM, MC wrote:
Ron C wrote:

On 10/11/2018 8:38 AM, MC wrote:
nospam wrote:

[...]

The reboot took place in the middle of the "normal use" window so I
was quite surprised by this. I wasn't in the room at the time so I don't
know if there was a "system will reboot in xx minutes" type warning.
I have no idea what triggered the reboot .. I looked up, noticed that
the lights stopped working, went down stairs and found the computer
had rebooted.
~~
So... I guess I need some educating. What option settings should I
check to keep this from happening again?
--
==
Later...

Old October 11th 18, 05:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

On 11/10/2018 15.21, nospam wrote:
In article , Carlos E.R.
wrote:

Who really knows what files/folders/etc could be the target
of some code "oops", let alone an actual targeted attack?

that's what backups are for. if there's an oops, simply restore from a
backup. no big deal.

Only if you know that some data files were lost during the update. Why
should they?

the update deleted entire folders, which is very obvious, but
regardless, if a desired file is missing, retrieve from a backup. it's
not a big deal.

and it's not just updates. users **** up and mistakenly delete files.
buggy apps mistakenly delete files, or corrupt them. or, someone wants
to revert to a previous version.

anyone who doesn't have backups has only themselves to blame *when*
(not if) they lose important data, not microsoft, apple, google, etc.

I know people that do not know how to copy files to/from an usb stick.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old October 11th 18, 07:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , MC
wrote:

I was running a test of a Halloween lighting program on a Win 10
machine and several hours into the test the damn machine did
an unexpected reboot. I normally run the program continuously
starting a few days before Halloween. seems the activity monitor
doesn't know this program is running. I've never had a Win 7
machine reboot on its own.
The last thing one wants is for the system to go down in the
middle of a 'show'.

Windows 10 is designed to ensure updates do, indeed, take place. It is
not, however, designed to update when it feels like it. This is so
that workflow is not disrupted. There are ways built into Windows 10
to allow you to control when (not if) and how the update is
implemented. If the update options and controls are set up correctly
on your PC then any disruptions to your "show" will not happen.

in other words, it *is* designed to update when it feels like it, but
the user can defer it in some cases, but not all.

most people won't even know where to begin to do that (and it's not
possible in some cases), so for most people they will be interrupted
when it's convenient for the os but not for them, which is exactly what
happens.
Old October 11th 18, 07:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Carlos E.R.
wrote:

[...]

one need not know how to do that for backups to occur.
Old October 11th 18, 07:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , MC
wrote:

I never know when mine is updating until I go to shut down. I then
see the "Update and Shut down" rather than just "Shut down" on the
Start menu. Then when I reboot next day it just goes into
"Configuring windows" for a couple of minutes and straight back to
desktop. No fuss, no bother, painless and straightforward. I see
no problem whatsoever and certainly no "worse possible time".

then you're the exception

Probably because I have correctly set up the way updates work on my PC.

it should be that way by default, without anyone needing to do anything
special.

requiring the user to tweak things so that it doesn't **** them over is
why it's broken, and what's worse is that there are people who make
excuses for it being broken.

there are ****loads of examples and it's one of the biggest
complaints about win10.

I have not been through all the examples you have posted but most were
old examples dating back to when Windows 10 was new and/or prior to
when automatic updates were tweaked by MS.

this was from 6 months ago, so most likely 1803 or possibly 1709, where
win10 rebooted with *unsaved* *data*, causing data loss:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/c...s_10_home_how_
do_i_prevent_update_reboots/
Virtualbox VMs and Notepads may be open with unsaved data in them.
This is non-negotiable.
Windows 10 periodically kills these applications without respecting
the unsaved data in them.
How do I force windows 10 to never do this? I don't mind windows 10
restarting if there is no unsaved data. But unsaved data in an
application should never ever ever be lost.

*anything* that causes data loss is unacceptable.

the update can be deferred, except not in all versions, and not one
that's in progress:
https://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-...ates-auto-rest
arts-are-the-worst/
And while the next version of Windows will let you stave off updates
for a 35-day period (if you paid extra for a Pro, Enterprise or
Education-grade copy of Windows, which sounds like a moderate form of
blackmail), my understanding is that even those versions won't let
you cancel an update that's already been delayed and is now about to
occur.

Most of these examples also
fall under the category of the user/admin not knowing how to prevent a
reboot/implementation during workflow hrs.

again, forcing the user to tweak things so that it doesn't **** them
over is a major design defect.

windows update is broken. it's that simple.

If it is I have not noticed it.

then you're in denial, the part you snipped:

In article , nospam
then you're the exception, or just in denial.

Old October 11th 18, 08:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Holy crap!

Can you guys just fix whatever problem it is you have with Win10 so we can
get back to something which resembles photography?

....or perhaps this is an issue better sorted out in a Win10 NG.

--
Regards,
Savageduck