Canon Lenses - Digital/Film

Old December 19th 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gregory Bruno

Default Canon Lenses - Digital/Film

I am about to purchase a Canon Digital Rebel XTi for my business, and
part of the decision depends upon my ability to use the Canon EF "L"
series lenses that I already have from my EOS film camera.

While shopping on Amazon, I saw references to to lenses being "for
Canon SLR cameras" or "for Canon DSLR cameras." What exactly is this
saying? Are lenses for Canon EOS film SLR cameras able to be used with
the DSLR's, or not?

Thanks,

Gregory
Old December 19th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott W

Gregory Bruno wrote:
I am about to purchase a Canon Digital Rebel XTi for my business, and
part of the decision depends upon my ability to use the Canon EF "L"
series lenses that I already have from my EOS film camera.

While shopping on Amazon, I saw references to to lenses being "for
Canon SLR cameras" or "for Canon DSLR cameras." What exactly is this
saying? Are lenses for Canon EOS film SLR cameras able to be used with
the DSLR's, or not?

Thanks,

Gregory

Any of your EF lenses should work find on the Rebel XTi, but there are
a few lenses that will work on the XTi that will not work on a Canon
film SLR or their full frame DSLRs.

Do note that your lenes will seem to have a longer focal lenth due to
the sensor in the XTi being smaller then a full frame of film. For
some lenses this can be a good thing but a lens that was wide angle
will be much less so on the XTi.

Scott

Old December 19th 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SimonLW

"Gregory Bruno" wrote in message
I am about to purchase a Canon Digital Rebel XTi for my business, and
part of the decision depends upon my ability to use the Canon EF "L"
series lenses that I already have from my EOS film camera.

While shopping on Amazon, I saw references to to lenses being "for
Canon SLR cameras" or "for Canon DSLR cameras." What exactly is this
saying? Are lenses for Canon EOS film SLR cameras able to be used with
the DSLR's, or not?

Thanks,

Gregory

All Canon EF (L or not) lenses will fit the XTi. The new EF-S "digital only"
lenses will fit it also, but will not fit on your film EOS body.
Please be aware that the smaller sensor area of the XTi (as compared with
35mm film) will make the focal length of your lenses seem longer when used
on the XTi. Multiply the focal length of the lens by 1.6 to get the same
angle of view (apparent FL). For example a 50mm lens on the XTi gives the
same angle of view as an 80mm lens on the 35mm film body.
-S

Old December 19th 06, 06:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gregory Bruno

On 19 Dec 2006 09:54:10 -0800, "Scott W" wrote:

Any of your EF lenses should work find on the Rebel XTi, but there are
a few lenses that will work on the XTi that will not work on a Canon
film SLR or their full frame DSLRs.

Sounds like those few lenses are a good deal for Canon, but bad for
the customer.

Thanks for the information.

Gregory
Old December 19th 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott W

Gregory Bruno wrote:
On 19 Dec 2006 09:54:10 -0800, "Scott W" wrote:

Any of your EF lenses should work find on the Rebel XTi, but there are
a few lenses that will work on the XTi that will not work on a Canon
film SLR or their full frame DSLRs.

Sounds like those few lenses are a good deal for Canon, but bad for
the customer.

The idea is that the lenses cover a smaller image area and also have
the back element of the lens closer to the sensor, both possible
because the sensor is only 1/1.6 the size of a 35mm frame. The idea is
you should be able to get more bang for you buck.

I have on of the lenses the EF-S 18-55mm, otherwise known as the kit
lens. A lot of people don't like the lens but for the money it is
very sharp, in the center of the FOV.

Other then that I am staying with lenses that I can use on a full frame
camera, like the 5D. I figure I will end up with something like that a
few years from now.

Scott

Old December 20th 06, 10:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ståle Sannerud

"Scott W" wrote in message
ups.com...

Gregory Bruno wrote:
[...]

Apart from the excellent ultrawide 10-22 there is perhaps little apparent
reason to buy an EF-S lens over a full-frame one. From 16mm up there are "L"
zooms available if one wishes to spend the money for them. However, there is
the very attractive EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS and the rather convenient EF-S 17-85
f/4-5.6 IS, which both combine IS with a very useful zoom range on a crop
sensor; neither has a directly comparable FF equivalent. The 24-105 f/4 IS L
comes closest but is a bit too long.

Old December 20th 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Fred Anonymous

"Gregory Bruno" wrote in message
On 19 Dec 2006 09:54:10 -0800, "Scott W" wrote:

Any of your EF lenses should work find on the Rebel XTi, but there are
a few lenses that will work on the XTi that will not work on a Canon
film SLR or their full frame DSLRs.

Sounds like those few lenses are a good deal for Canon, but bad for
the customer.

Thanks for the information.

Gregory

Hello.
The EF-S lenses are only for the 350D, 400D, 20D, 30D etc bodies.
They do have a use - they are somewhat smaller than their full frame
equivalent lenses. I like to use them when I'm travelling with my camera and
want to keep the weight of my camera bag down.

For waht it is worth, I used to use a Minolta Vectis S1 APS SLR. Its lenses
were only for the Vectis bodies (and the RD3000 digital body) and were
significantly smaller and lighter than the equivalent lenses for a 35mm SLR.

Regards, Ian.

Old December 22nd 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Harry Flaxman

Gregory Bruno wrote:
I am about to purchase a Canon Digital Rebel XTi for my business, and
part of the decision depends upon my ability to use the Canon EF "L"
series lenses that I already have from my EOS film camera.

While shopping on Amazon, I saw references to to lenses being "for
Canon SLR cameras" or "for Canon DSLR cameras." What exactly is this
saying? Are lenses for Canon EOS film SLR cameras able to be used with
the DSLR's, or not?

Thanks,

Gregory

One and the same. They'll fit the rebel.

Harry