selling Prints at local street fairs

Old December 18th 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
roadiebob

Default selling Prints at local street fairs

I am thinking of selling some of my own photos at street fairs, and
farmers market
type events. I have printed and hung some of my own photos for my own
enjoyment and get a lot of compliments on these and many have advised
that my
fiance and I should sell them to the public. The photos are mostly from
a Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D. My fiance has quite a bit of camera
experience
and I am working the learning curve pretty much every day. We are doing
post
capture with Photo shop elements.
The photos are mostly natural scenery types such as beach or
mountain, a few
cityscape photos also. I do not expect to sell any with identifiable
people in them as
I want to avoid the licensing issues that I have seen others discuss
here.
If anyone has any experience with this, these are the questions I
have
1. How do you choose where to sell?
2. How much does it cost to rent space at a typical event?
3. What size prints sell best?
4. Pricing?
5. How many different prints do you bring for display?
5. Do you provide frames and Mat's or just sell the print?
6. Any recommendations for shops to do the prints or places to by the
Mats and frames from?

any general advice to get started with this would be helpful.

thanks in advance

Bob

Old December 18th 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Ruether

"roadiebob" wrote in message ps.com...

[...]

I know a woman who specializes in nature and landscapes
(and I knew someone who used to...), so I may be able to
help with some answers.

1. How do you choose where to sell?

One sells at the local Farmers' Market, the other canvassed
offices (doctors, school, bank, etc.).

2. How much does it cost to rent space at a typical event?

The Farmers' Market here was $300/season, as I recall, for
a booth large enough for a table of trays on one side and wall
displays on three sides (she also has portable gear for fairs
and sells through a web page).

3. What size prints sell best?

Dunno - one sells all sizes, the other sold only large ones.

4. Pricing?

Depends on if bare, properly matted and covered, or framed,
and on demand. (BTW, in the '60's and '70's I had about 50
museum and gallery shows - and *no* sales [it's different now],
see http://www.ferrario.com/ruether/aht1.html for some samples).

5. How many different prints do you bring for display?

Can be hundreds, especially if the same image is offered in
different sizes or states.

5. Do you provide frames and Mat's or just sell the print?

Probably not the last, but the first two are OK (and you can
offer an example of a framed print and prices for services if
you want).

6. Any recommendations for shops to do the prints or places to by the
Mats and frames from?

Probably local to you - we have some fine service places in
town, though Ithaca is small. You can also do these yourself.

any general advice to get started with this would be helpful.
thanks in advance

Bob

Make prints, and try it - though it may cost much more than
you make at first...
--
David Ruether

http://www.ferrario.com/ruether

Old December 19th 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Shawn Hirn

In article om,
"roadiebob" wrote:

[...]

A lot of this depends on where in the world you live. Start by visiting
local street fares, flea markets, farmer's markets, etc. and talk to the
photographers who are doing what you have in mind. Most will be glad to
answer your questions and give you advise.
Old December 19th 06, 05:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
JC Dill

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 22:01:05 -0500, Shawn Hirn
wrote:

A lot of this depends on where in the world you live. Start by visiting
local street fares, flea markets, farmer's markets, etc. and talk to the
photographers who are doing what you have in mind. Most will be glad to
answer your questions and give you advise.

I have tried this in my area, and found that most do NOT want to
answer questions or give advice. It looks like the business is real
cut-throat and that no one wants to share any tips with what they view
as potential competition at the next event.

jc

~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare's Nest, PA
Old December 19th 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chip Gallo

roadiebob wrote:
[...]

I've done a couple of no-cost events, such as a church sponsored art
fair. My rule at present is free or very low cost, and with the
expectation of being with other artists (paintings, computer generated
graphics art) rather than doing craft shows.

2. How much does it cost to rent space at a typical event?

Usually a table at an outdoor flea market is $10 and up around Harpers
Ferry, WV where I live. Big art shows and craft fairs obviously cost
more, and I'm hoping to get my sales volume up before I spend that kind
of money on show space.

3. What size prints sell best?

I like 11"x16" which is an oddball size. I started entering the local
county fair with this size and received a ribbon in every category I
entered. So far I have sold over half a dozen prints at this size. My
goal is to "sell up" to a 20"x30" print, so I keep that in mind when I
plan the inventory to carry. Not everything looks at these sizes.

4. Pricing?

$30 for the 11x16 unframed/unmatted. $129 for the 20x30.

5. How many different prints do you bring for display?

Around 20, which is a sale copy of each, plus the display. I use a 11x16
flip book which holds 48 prints. I get bags and backing boards from
Clearbags.com (http://www.clearbags.com/) and have my sale copies ready
to go in a bag. When I sell a print, I reorder from White House Custom
Colour (http://www.whcc.com) and order 6 of the restock item to get the
price per print down.

5. Do you provide frames and Mat's or just sell the print?

Just the print right now.

6. Any recommendations for shops to do the prints or places to by the
Mats and frames from?

White House Custom Colour for prints.

any general advice to get started with this would be helpful.

Since I live in a historic location, I try to have prints of local
landmarks. Talk to people when you are out, find out what they are
looking for and shoot that. Keep the price reasonable. Be knowledgeable
about the photo content so you can tell a story. Folks will be more
engaged if you tell a story. You are part of their experience ...

thanks in advance

Bob

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Chip Gallo
www.mindtography.com (work in progress)

Old December 20th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
roadiebob

wrote:

A lot of this depends on where in the world you live. Start by visiting
local street fares, flea markets, farmer's markets, etc. and talk to the
photographers who are doing what you have in mind. Most will be glad to
answer your questions and give you advise.

I have tried this in my area, and found that most do NOT want to
answer questions or give advice. It looks like the business is real
cut-throat and that no one wants to share any tips with what they view
as potential competition at the next event.

jc

~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare's Nest, PA

Thanks everyone for the advice. I live in southern California so there
are many
many events that we could do this at. One thought I had was to try to
map
out the coming event and go there ahead of time and do some local
shots. I
guess the logic of it may be easier to sell things that have meaning
the local audience. were heading up to Yosemite again this weekend
to beef up the collection. Also I will be working on a web site for
display. I will
post that link when it is ready.

thanks everyone. I very much apreciate all your input and also any more
that
anyone wants to add.

Old December 20th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Little Juice Coupe

Well, I for one wouldn't buy an inkjet print for anyone unless they offered
if it fades or shifts color I will replace it free for life warranty. There
is no way I would spend any amount of money to buy a print no matter how
nice or lovely the image is if it was done with an inkjet. Either have them
professional printed with something that is more durable and appropriate or
offer the warranty I mentioned.

ljc

"roadiebob" wrote in message
ps.com...

Old December 20th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
JC Dill

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 18:12:38 GMT, Chip Gallo
wrote:

Since I live in a historic location, I try to have prints of local
landmarks. Talk to people when you are out, find out what they are
looking for and shoot that. Keep the price reasonable. Be knowledgeable
about the photo content so you can tell a story. Folks will be more
engaged if you tell a story. You are part of their experience ...

Thanks for a bunch of GREAT tips. I loved this last one the most.

Old December 21st 06, 08:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Colin_D

Little Juice Coupe wrote:
Well, I for one wouldn't buy an inkjet print for anyone unless they offered
if it fades or shifts color I will replace it free for life warranty. There
is no way I would spend any amount of money to buy a print no matter how
nice or lovely the image is if it was done with an inkjet. Either have them
professional printed with something that is more durable and appropriate or
offer the warranty I mentioned.

ljc

There is no printing process more durable than an inkjet print on
archival paper, printed with pigmented inks on a good inkjet printer.

I think you are somewhat behind the times with your knowledge of print
life. FYI, chemical, or 'wet' prints on the world's best paper - Fuji
Crystal Archive - have a projected life of about 65 years in a protected
environment. On display, much shorter.

Inkjet prints with archival pigment inks from Epson, or the new pigment
inks from Canon, have a projected life of greater than 100 years
depending to some extent on the paper used.

And, up until recently, chemical prints were doing well if they lasted
20 years. I have on my wall a chemical 16 x 20 print of our extended
family, professionally produced on Kodak Lustre paper. After just on 20
years, it is reduced to little more than a pale cyan image, the yellow
and magenta dyes have long gone. That print was texturized with a
plastic coating which sealed the surface against contaminants and UV,
despite which it has faded beyond reasonable viewing. It's still on the
wall only because there's nothing to replace it.

Colin D.

"roadiebob" wrote in message
ps.com...

Old December 21st 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
roadiebob

I can buy that

I don't plan to print these at home. I have not found that printing
my own photos is economically advantageous. I have seen the
more industrial printers with the inkwells outside of the printer
advertised in shutterbug, but have not actually seen one in use
or seen the product of one of those.
There is a local shop here in Chino that does a really good
job of printing for us and thats been fine when were just printing
10 or so a year for our own home, but if I start selling and need 100
prints
a year or more, then I am going to look for something more economical
for printing, thats why I was asking for references for print shops.
One member did point me to a web site that he works with and
I will probably give that a try unless anyone points me in a different
direction.

Little Juice Coupe wrote:
Well, I for one wouldn't buy an inkjet print for anyone unless they offered
if it fades or shifts color I will replace it free for life warranty. There
is no way I would spend any amount of money to buy a print no matter how
nice or lovely the image is if it was done with an inkjet. Either have them
professional printed with something that is more durable and appropriate or
offer the warranty I mentioned.

ljc

"roadiebob" wrote in message
ps.com...