Photography forum

Old October 11th 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
[email protected]

Default Photography forum

Forgive me if I am overstepping the boundaries posting this her. Im new

to Groups.

I am writing to let you know of a Photography Forum I have started
to help everybody from the seasoned Professional to the Amateur first
picking up a camera. Covering everything from weddings to Landscapes
and everything in between.

I have started a forum on my website at www.photography-forum.org .
It's quite basic at the moment but I feel it has all the necessary
sections to help most photographers. There is a suggestions page that
hopefully will let me know what people want. We currently have 1000
members and the forum has over 350 new messages per day.

I started my career as have many other "pro" photographers I know
at the local camera club. Then went to college and gained the
qualifications I needed.

I have now been a professional photographer for 8 years and I remember
first starting on my journey into photography. I had loads of questions

but nobody to ask them. I read as much as I could but most of the
magazines used to cover the same topics over and over again.

I was lucky I managed to assist a professional photographer for a
couple of years before I "Took the Plunge". It's the best move I
have ever made.

There is no registration fee or monthly subscription I am doing this
purely because business has given me and my family so much that I
thought it was time to put something back in. Sounds a bit corny but
it's the truth.

I am trying to get as many "like minded people" into the forum so
we can share our knowledge and experiences and hopefully all improve.

Please have a look at the forum and maybe, if you like it recommend it
to your colleagues. I hope it is of help.

Old October 12th 06, 09:21 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Harry Stottle

wrote in message
oups.com...
Forgive me if I am overstepping the boundaries posting this her. Im
new

to Groups.

So you are competent enough to set up a forum, but claim to be new to
Groups even though you appear to have been using them regularly since
1999, mostly to try and promote your own personal interests, and you
also seem to know that you might be "overstepping the boundaries posting
this her"

This reply from you was copied from aus.photo, when someone else there
pointed out you have been posting in newsgroups since 1999.

Quote Sorry i did post messages in 1999 but I promise you Im not an
intentional spammer. The forumis 1 year old and everything I have said
is true. please if you have time have a look - you dont have to
register. Everybody there does say what a different feel the forum has.
Not all about ego stroking and the Big "I AMS" /Quote

So everything you say is true? Is that apart from being new to
newsgroups, and not being an intentional spammer.

You are a spammer, and you are lying again to promote your services,
which should be enough reason for most people to avoid you, or your
services, at all costs.

Old October 12th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
MLIDDELL

Not a bad pitch for a spammer.

Old October 13th 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
stemmy

MLIDDELL wrote:
Not a bad pitch for a spammer.

Whilst I appreciate that I have posted this message on a few groups i
would like to clarify what a spammer is.

I do admit wanting as many people to visit the forum and to register as
i can.

But !!

Surely a spammer is somebody who mass emails for personal gain ??

The forum is totally free of charge - no registration fee - no
membership fee. In fact the forum costs me a pretty penny every year.
Of which I recoup non !!

So I wouldnt call myself a spammer I just want as many people to
benefit from what is a superb FREE forum.

Sorry if you feel differently.

Old October 13th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Harry Stottle

"stemmy" wrote in message
ups.com...

So I wouldnt call myself a spammer I just want as many people to
benefit from what is a superb FREE forum.

I have never heard a spammer actually admit to spamming, so no surprise
that you don't consider yourself one.
Let me try and explain to make it clearer for you. Spammers come in
many guises, one variation is the type that spams newsgroups to try and
get others to visit their websites offering an innocuous service, where
surprise, surprise, they have an advert at the top of the first page for
their own commercial services, you know the sort of thing, a link to
something like advertising wedding photography, cars, packages, framing
etc. but I'm sure you wouldn't do that, would you?

Old October 13th 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
stemmy

Harry Stottle wrote:
"stemmy" wrote in message
ups.com...

So I wouldnt call myself a spammer I just want as many people to
benefit from what is a superb FREE forum.

I have never heard a spammer actually admit to spamming, so no surprise
that you don't consider yourself one.
Let me try and explain to make it clearer for you. Spammers come in
many guises, one variation is the type that spams newsgroups to try and
get others to visit their websites offering an , where
surprise, surprise, they have an advert at the top of the first page for
their own commercial services, you know the sort of thing, a link to
something like advertising wedding photography, cars, packages, framing
etc. but I'm sure you wouldn't do that, would you?

Yes my link is at the top but just the same way I let everybody else
link their websites. To be honest in the 12 months of the forum I have
given away masses more jobs than I have recieved. If I then take into
account my hours spent administering the forum this has to be the worst
business decision of my life.

I can promise you the forum is in no way a money making machine for me
- that is the truth.

You call it an "innocuous service" - believe me the members dont think
that it is.

Never once have my services been plugged on the forum.

I am sorry that you have the cynical view that everything is for a
reason. I can assure you this is not. Maybe if you yourself joined and
had a look around you would see that the tone of the forum is something
completly different than the norm.

There are probably 15 members from my local area so you would assume
its not the best method of advertising a wedding photographer. The vast
majority are from around the country and probably 30% are from abroad.
Not the most direct advertising ?

Im sure Im not going to convince you otherwise because you sound like
you have had issues with spammers in the past - as have we all !! but
all I can say is I posted this message in good faith and hoped it would
be taken that way.

Old October 13th 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Harry Stottle

"stemmy" wrote in message
oups.com...

Im sure Im not going to convince you otherwise because you sound like
you have had issues with spammers in the past - as have we all !! but
all I can say is I posted this message in good faith and hoped it
would
be taken that way.

You are not going to convince me because you started off with a blatant
lie, which in my opinion was the equivalent of a double glazing
salesman, standing on my doorstep with an armful of brochures, staring
at a clearly displayed notice on my door stating 'No Sales' and 'No
Canvassers', and telling me "don't worry I'm not selling anything". If
you heard the response they get from me, you would realise that I have
been very restrained in my replies to your post.

Old October 13th 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
stemmy

Harry Stottle wrote:
"stemmy" wrote in message
oups.com...

Im sure Im not going to convince you otherwise because you sound like
you have had issues with spammers in the past - as have we all !! but
all I can say is I posted this message in good faith and hoped it
would
be taken that way.

You are not going to convince me because you started off with a blatant
lie, which in my opinion was the equivalent of a double glazing
salesman, standing on my doorstep with an armful of brochures, staring
at a clearly displayed notice on my door stating 'No Sales' and 'No
Canvassers', and telling me "don't worry I'm not selling anything". If
you heard the response they get from me, you would realise that I have
been very restrained in my replies to your post.

Thanks for your restraint Harry ??

I know understand fully where you are and your attitude.

I cant waste any more time trying to convice you, i have tried to be
civil but its obviously wasted on you.. Too many reasonable people in
the world to worry about the others.

I thought i would give you the link to the the forum one more time.

www.photography-forum.org/nochance

If the link doesnt work for you Harry .............. Perfect !!!!

Old October 13th 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Greg \_\

In article . com,
"stemmy" wrote:

MLIDDELL wrote:
Not a bad pitch for a spammer.

Whilst I appreciate that I have posted this message on a few groups i
would like to clarify what a spammer is.

I do admit wanting as many people to visit the forum and to register as
i can.

But !!

Surely a spammer is somebody who mass emails for personal gain ??

The forum is totally free of charge - no registration fee - no
membership fee. In fact the forum costs me a pretty penny every year.
Of which I recoup non !!

So I wouldnt call myself a spammer I just want as many people to
benefit from what is a superb FREE forum.

Sorry if you feel differently.

The fact that your replying probably makes you not a spammer, however
some may not see it this way.
--
Reality-Is finding that perfect picture
and never looking back.

www.gregblankphoto.com
Old October 13th 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
stemmy

Greg "_" wrote:
In article . com,
"stemmy" wrote:

MLIDDELL wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your vote of confidence Greg.

Some cracking shots on your website by the way !!.

Martin