D750 hand-held in poor light

Old June 24th 15, 10:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default D750 hand-held in poor light

On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 01:39:59 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

On Monday, 22 June 2015 05:30:26 UTC-4, Eric Stevens wrote:
I've only just started processing some 1200 shots from a river cruise
and these are the ones with which I was only just starting to come to
grips with the camera. These three shots were made in the Maritime
Museum in Amsterdam. All objects were within dimly lit glass cabinets:

Ship's figureheads
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...R--7500335.jpg

More figureheads
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...R--7500337.jpg

Decorative carvings
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...R--7500339.jpg

Eric Stevens

Very sharp, clean images. I remember years ago sneaking a monopod into a museum because I didn't want to have to shoot at 1600 ISO for fear of noise.

That's one of my first impressions of the D750: when the termor of my
aging hands doesn't take over, the behaviour of the stabilised Tamron
24~70mm lens lets me get away with exposures which previously would
have been over the limit. Further these three shots were made at 1000
ISO and under exposed by 1/2 a stop (I was trying to avoid burning out
highlights). I was expecting some sign of noise but there was
virtually none. Later I went to ISO 1250 with much the same result. I
could have pushed harder but being so far from a decent display I
didn't want to push things. Now that I'm back home I will see how much
further I can go.

Eric Stevens
Old June 27th 15, 05:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 21:30:20 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

I've only just started processing some 1200 shots from a river cruise
and these are the ones with which I was only just starting to come to
grips with the camera. These three shots were made in the Maritime
Museum in Amsterdam. All objects were within dimly lit glass cabinets:

Ship's figureheads
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...R--7500335.jpg

More figureheads
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...R--7500337.jpg

Decorative carvings
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...R--7500339.jpg

About 50% of the original taken at 1/10 sec hand held at f/2.8 in poor
light. 1250 ISO.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...R--7500383.jpg

Not really good enough.

Eric Stevens
Old June 27th 15, 09:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

I've only just started processing some 1200 shots from a river cruise
and these are the ones with which I was only just starting to come to
grips with the camera. These three shots were made in the Maritime
Museum in Amsterdam. All objects were within dimly lit glass cabinets:

Ship's figureheads
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...R--7500335.jpg

More figureheads
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...R--7500337.jpg

Decorative carvings
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...R--7500339.jpg

About 50% of the original taken at 1/10 sec hand held at f/2.8 in poor
light. 1250 ISO.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...R--7500383.jpg

Not really good enough.

Not bad. Have you tried pushing the ISO to 50k?
The articulating viewfinder has me excited.

--
PeterN
Old June 27th 15, 10:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

Eric Stevens wrote:
I've only just started processing some 1200 shots from a river cruise
and these are the ones with which I was only just starting to come to
grips with the camera. These three shots were made in the Maritime
Museum in Amsterdam. All objects were within dimly lit glass cabinets:

Ship's figureheads
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...R--7500335.jpg

More figureheads
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...R--7500337.jpg

Decorative carvings
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...R--7500339.jpg

Hi,

Nice images. The last one, the lion's head, looks quite similar to one
that I took many years ago in Stockholm. The sailing warship Vasa had
been found and raised,and was housed in a waterproof quonset hut while
being sprayed with ethylene glycol to prevent the fragile wood from
falling apart after several hundred years under water. I wonder if that
was a naval symbol, or just a symbol of courage and strength.

Mort Linder
Old June 27th 15, 11:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

I've only just started processing some 1200 shots from a river cruise
and these are the ones with which I was only just starting to come to
grips with the camera. These three shots were made in the Maritime
Museum in Amsterdam. All objects were within dimly lit glass cabinets:

Ship's figureheads
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...R--7500335.jpg

More figureheads
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...R--7500337.jpg

Decorative carvings
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...R--7500339.jpg

About 50% of the original taken at 1/10 sec hand held at f/2.8 in poor
light. 1250 ISO.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...R--7500383.jpg

Not really good enough.

Not bad. Have you tried pushing the ISO to 50k?
The articulating viewfinder has me excited.

I have yet to try a really high ISO. At the time I was at the
beginning of the tour and new to the camera (still struggling to come
to grips with the focussing/exposure system). I had a long way to go
(more than a thousand more exposures it turned out). I had decided I
was going to come back with pictures, not just test images, so I
didn't push anything.

I arrived back with congested lungs (hawk-spit) and then a power
glitch took out my network printer. I've only managed to do
intermittent editing since. I will try something more extreme soon.

Eric Stevens
Old June 28th 15, 12:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 6/27/2015 5:51 PM, Mort wrote:
Eric Stevens wrote:
[...]

Interesting observation: I had no recollection of a lion in Norse
mythology, so I Googled this page:

http://www.viking-mythology.com/animals.php

The closest I came was this, which states the possibility that the
Vikings involved may have been Athenian.

http://www.vikingrune.com/2008/11/piraeus-lion/

I then Googled Lion norse mythology, I found no comparable image:

https://www.google.com/search?q=lion+norse+mythology&biw=1280&bih=650&tbm =isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=diaPVaOYMouQyAS9uI D4Aw&ved=0CCoQsAQ

http://tinyurl.com/pscyxgc

My conclusion is that it was most probably intended to be a decorative
symbol, most likely not an official symbol.

http://www.rmg.co.uk/researchers/collections/by-type/figureheads

--
PeterN
Old June 28th 15, 12:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

In about 3 week, I hope to get my hands on one for some real world testing

--
PeterN
Old June 28th 15, 02:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

PeterN wrote:
On 6/27/2015 5:51 PM, Mort wrote:
Eric Stevens wrote:
[...]

Did you try to Google the ship "Vasa" in Stockholm? There are several
sites, including the official museum site. The ship started out on its
maiden voyage, and almost immediately , it sank right in the harbor, in
full view of families and friends on the shore.

Mort Linder
Old June 28th 15, 03:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 6/27/2015 9:38 PM, Mort wrote:
PeterN wrote:
On 6/27/2015 5:51 PM, Mort wrote:
Eric Stevens wrote:
[...]

I saw that.
Is it conincidental that one of the translations of "Vasa" from Swedish
to English is "fizzle"?

From Google Translate:
Translations of väsa

verb
hiss väsa, fräsa, utvissla, vina
wheeze kikna, väsa, pipa
fizz fräsa, väsa, pärla, moussera
fizzle fräsa, väsa

--
PeterN
Old June 28th 15, 05:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 27 Jun 2015 17:51:44 -0400, Mort wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:
[...]

Do you mean the Lion as shown in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbxqiodbjTI ?

Eric Stevens