D750 hand-held in poor light

Old June 22nd 15, 10:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default D750 hand-held in poor light

I've only just started processing some 1200 shots from a river cruise
and these are the ones with which I was only just starting to come to
grips with the camera. These three shots were made in the Maritime
Museum in Amsterdam. All objects were within dimly lit glass cabinets:

Ship's figureheads
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...R--7500335.jpg

More figureheads
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...R--7500337.jpg

Decorative carvings
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...R--7500339.jpg

Eric Stevens
Old June 22nd 15, 11:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MB[_4_]

On 22/06/2015 10:30, Eric Stevens wrote:
I've only just started processing some 1200 shots from a river cruise
and these are the ones with which I was only just starting to come to
grips with the camera. These three shots were made in the Maritime
Museum in Amsterdam. All objects were within dimly lit glass cabinets:

I was amazed soon after getting my EOS6D when I visited a castle and
took a picture in the first room that had no windows, one door closed
and small open door on the other side. I have previously taken a quick
flash picture in similar places to see later what was there but I did
not have the flash on the camera and could still see all the interior of
them room.

Old June 22nd 15, 01:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Eric Stevens wrote:

Ship's figureheads
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...R--7500335.jpg

Great exposure and contrast

More figureheads
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...R--7500337.jpg

Highlights are blown, and the white balance seems off, plus the guy in the middle
looks like Mr Bean.

Decorative carvings
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...R--7500339.jpg

Also slightly blown highlights, and the white balance might be a bit off, but
it's less obvious in this shot.

Great contrast with the 24-70, it's an awesome lens.

--
Sandman
Old June 22nd 15, 04:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

Eric Stevens wrote:
I've only just started processing some 1200 shots from a river cruise
and these are the ones with which I was only just starting to come to
grips with the camera. These three shots were made in the Maritime
Museum in Amsterdam. All objects were within dimly lit glass cabinets:

Ship's figureheads
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...R--7500335.jpg

More figureheads
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...R--7500337.jpg

Decorative carvings
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...R--7500339.jpg

Interesting pictures. When shooting through glass, I suggest that you
shoot at an acute angle , rather than at right angles, to eliminate much
of the glare and reflections. Polarizing filtration would probably not
be possible with the low light.

Did you see any of the small fishing villages with their old boats? I
lived in The Netherlands almost 60 years ago, and many of the old things
are now gone.

Mort Linder
Old June 22nd 15, 11:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 11:14:09 -0400, Mort wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:
[...]

I didn't have time. We were mostly based in Amsterdam with a brief
sojourn in Rotterddam. Our program in that region was disrupted by
having one of the river cruise boat's engines blow up a few days
before it was due to leave.

Eric Stevens
Old June 22nd 15, 11:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

Eric Stevens wrote:
[...]

That sounds like a good thing. (Being stuck in Amsterdam.)

To respond to your original posting. I like the results of your D750.
That is on my "look at seriously" list. Candidly, I want to see what
Nikon comes up with in mirroless. That camera is a tad too heavy.
--
PeterN
Old June 23rd 15, 01:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Eric Stevens wrote:
[...]

I certainly found the camera disconcertingly heavier after the D300.
However almost all of the weight difference is in the Tamron 24-70 mm
lens. See
http://www.ishootshows.com/wp-conten...f28VC-6433.jpg
or http://tinyurl.com/q2vckcn It's the difference between a lens
which has to cover only a crop frame and a lens for a full size frame.

Eric Stevens
Old June 23rd 15, 01:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

Eric Stevens wrote:
[...]

Most of my lenses are FF, and not light. For the present I can put up
with their weight, and I anticipate that a FF mirrorless Nikon will
weigh substantially less. My new monopod has substantially helped with
the weight issue. However, with forseeable medical bills, I just may not
consider any new equipment. For shooting shore birds, I put everything,
including a chair into a Tommy Bahama beach cart. It makes life a lot
easier.

http://www.amazon.com/Tommy-Bahama-Terrain-Beach-Cart/dp/B004TM0ZQO

--
PeterN
Old June 24th 15, 01:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 11:14:09 -0400, Mort wrote:

Interesting pictures. When shooting through glass, I suggest that you
shoot at an acute angle , rather than at right angles, to eliminate much
of the glare and reflections. Polarizing filtration would probably not
be possible with the low light.

A problem is that the angle to the glass varies across the field of
view and with a wide angle lens (24mm on ff) there is almost always
part of the image being shot perpendicular to the glass. However, it
is sometimes possible to harness the reflection to your advantage.

There is in the Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, a scantily dressed gentleman
sitting on a block of stone in the corner of a room, contemplating a
mechanical device of some kind. He is hedged in his corner by a large
display case.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...R--7500373.jpg is the
widest shot that is possible without taking in the glass of the
display case on the left.

If he is approached from the left-hand side, down the other side of
the display case, it is possible to use the reflection in the long
side of the display case to take the following shot:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...R--7500378.jpg

There is a prize for succesfully guessing the nature of the object at
which he is gazing.

Eric Stevens
Old June 24th 15, 02:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jun 23, 2015, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 11:14:09 -0400, wrote:

[...]

Display case shots are always tough. On Friday I am going to visit our local
pioneer museum to see how well the X-E2 - 35mm f/1.4 perform indoors. I have
shared some D300S shots from that location in the past and the lighting was
marginal for that. So we shall see.

There is a prize for succesfully guessing the nature of the object at
which he is gazing.

It looks to be recent (within 150 years) mechanical given the wheel and some
of the mechanical detail. It looks too small to be a motor. Then considering
the long Dutch history in Malaya, Indonesia and South East Asia I would guess
that it is some sort of pepper mill, or coffee grinder.

Savageduck