Ping: Rita

Old August 15th 08, 01:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Böwser

Default Ping: Rita

Here's a comparison of a couple of shots from the Olympics, one taken with a
Canon and the other with a D3:

http://timesonline.typepad.com/olymp...es---same.html

The D3 shot is underexposed and has incorrect white balance! How can that
be?

:-)

Old August 15th 08, 02:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave[_27_]

Böwser wrote:
Here's a comparison of a couple of shots from the Olympics, one taken
with a Canon and the other with a D3:

http://timesonline.typepad.com/olymp...es---same.html

The D3 shot is underexposed and has incorrect white balance! How can
that be?

:-)

How do you know one is taken with a Canon and the other a Nikon. Unless
I overlooked it, the type of equipment used is not mentioned.

Old August 15th 08, 02:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 14:06:07 +0100, Dave wrote:

Böwser wrote:
Here's a comparison of a couple of shots from the Olympics, one taken
with a Canon and the other with a D3:

http://timesonline.typepad.com/olymp...es---same.html

The D3 shot is underexposed and has incorrect white balance! How can
that be?

:-)

How do you know one is taken with a Canon and the other a Nikon. Unless
I overlooked it, the type of equipment used is not mentioned.

This is a daily column, and if you go to the previous day's column he
explains this:
http://timesonline.typepad.com/olymp...in-beijin.html

"I would like to show two frames - one taken on a Canon camera -
EOS1Dn MKIII with a 400mm f2.8 lens, the other on a Nikon D3 with a
400mm, also set at f2.8.
Can you notice any difference in sharpness, definition, tonal range
etc.?"

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old August 15th 08, 11:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Russell D.

Dave wrote:
Böwser wrote:
Here's a comparison of a couple of shots from the Olympics, one taken
with a Canon and the other with a D3:

http://timesonline.typepad.com/olymp...es---same.html

The D3 shot is underexposed and has incorrect white balance! How can
that be?

:-)

How do you know one is taken with a Canon and the other a Nikon. Unless
I overlooked it, the type of equipment used is not mentioned.

The EXIF data is there on both photos.

Russell
Old August 16th 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Maurice Blanchard

"Rita Berkowitz" a écrit dans le message de
m...
Dave wrote:

How do you know one is taken with a Canon and the other a Nikon.
Unless I overlooked it, the type of equipment used is not mentioned.

Simple, you look for the action shots that are in focus and you know a

Nikon
took it.

looks you are wrong, again.

The best shot is from the Canon and you know it, fat ass.

Old August 17th 08, 06:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Böwser wrote:
Here's a comparison of a couple of shots from the Olympics, one taken
with a Canon and the other with a D3:

http://timesonline.typepad.com/olymp...es---same.html

The D3 shot is underexposed and has incorrect white balance! How can
that be?

Who knows, a bunch of things are different, both manual exposure, the
Canon has blown the red a bit which is fine in this case, the Nikon
fills the histogram perfect. I never heard general complaints about
Nikon WB vs Canon WB but yeah, the Nikon is off in this case with yellow
skin tone. I'd expect a pro to use a custom WB for a staged event like
this, especially when emailing jpegs immediately.

1D Mark III 10MP 1.3x crop 400mm f/2.8 1/1579 sec ISO 800
sRGB

D3 12MP 1.0x crop 550mm f/4 1/1250 sec ISO 1600
PS thinks it's Adobe RGB, exif says 'uncalibrated -1' ?

What the heck is the 550mm f/4 lens? I can't imagine how to get that.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old August 17th 08, 06:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

tony cooper wrote:
Nikon with a
400mm, also set at f2.8.

Not what the exif says.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old August 17th 08, 06:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 10:31:42 -0700, Paul Furman
wrote:

tony cooper wrote:
Nikon with a
400mm, also set at f2.8.

Not what the exif says.

No, Tony Cooper *didn't* write that. I posted a link to the
photographer's blog where *he* wrote that and copy/pasted what he
wrote. That's what quotation marks indicate. If you want to argue
with the photographer, then challenge what he wrote.

Here's my post:

Old August 17th 08, 07:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
savvo

On 2008-08-15, B?wser wrote:
Here's a comparison of a couple of shots from the Olympics, one taken with a
Canon and the other with a D3:

http://timesonline.typepad.com/olymp...es---same.html

The D3 shot is underexposed and has incorrect white balance! How can that
be?

Photographer's choice?

I don't see any underexposure. The D3 shot looks a little green on my CRT,
but OK on the laptop.

When I first looked, before checking which was which and knowing the
photographer's bias, I thought the D3 shot was his carefully selected
Canon pic, just because of the hideous noise in the top half of the
actual Canon shot.

I would have thought a Canon shooter with the resources of Murdoch's
empire behind him could have found a better Canon picture.

--
savvo orig. invib. man