Sony DCS-F1: newbie gets a free present

Old August 14th 08, 12:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G[_2_]

Default Sony DCS-F1: newbie gets a free present

wrote in message
Newbie alert. I have inherited an old Sony DSC-F1 digital camera.
Although it is an old model, it seems to be well made and would be
ideal as my first camera, for taking the odd holiday snap etc.

However, there are some problems:

* Battery does not hold charge -- a replacement would be 12 UK pounds.
* No file transfer cable -- the DSC-F1 uses a Camera-to-Serial port
cable. Newer Sony models seem to use a Camera-to-USB cable. Would it
be OK to buy a newer cable and use that? Are there any general purpose
cable out there that I could use. Or do I need a Sony branded cable?
* No Camera-to-PC file transfer software -- Is this available for
download on the web? I don't suppose it is available for Linux? Again,
are there any general purpose file transfer programs I can use, or do
I need the specific Sony software?

A final question -- would it be uneconomic to try to "repair" this
camera? Should I just get a newer, cheapo model that uses USB memory
sticks?

Answers to any of these *newbie* questions welcomed.

All the problems may be solved by buying a Cheap USB Card Reader along with
a new Battery. Just make sure the reader can take whatever kind of Memory
Card that particular model uses.

Cameras don't use USB Thumb Drives, which is what I think you meant by USB
Memory Sticks.

Repairing an old model is practically never worthwhile.

Roy G

Old August 14th 08, 04:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G[_2_]

wrote in message
On 14 Aug, 12:25, "Roy G" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

The DCS-F1 doesn't use memory cards AFAIK. It's a pretty old model.
The camera stores about 30 pics internally. But you need a cable +
software to get them out of the camera to a PC.
There are no memory card slots on the camera.
As I don't have the Sony camera-to-Serial port cable it may be
cheapest just to bin it. Shame, it seems a well made camera.

Bruce

In that case, hand it in to a museum.

Roy G

Old August 14th 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rikki Ward

I've just 'Googled' DSC-F1 and found

"Sony also has an entry-level digital camera, the DSC-F1, priced at $499.
The compact DCS-F1 features an Infrared wireless image transfer with a
1.8-inch color LCD, progressive scan, 4 MB built-in flash memory, a rotating
camera head and several recording modes."

from http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...s_/ai_50267696

As the article is dated August 24 1998 I agree with Roy G about handing it
to a museum.

Rikki

Old August 18th 08, 02:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Rikki Ward wrote:
I've just 'Googled' DSC-F1 and found

"Sony also has an entry-level digital camera, the DSC-F1, priced at
$499. The compact DCS-F1 features an Infrared wireless image transfer
with a 1.8-inch color LCD, progressive scan, 4 MB built-in flash memory,
a rotating camera head and several recording modes."

from http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...s_/ai_50267696

As the article is dated August 24 1998 I agree with Roy G about handing
it to a museum.

"The mega-pixel war begins
Kodak is releasing two mega-pixel digital cameras, including the first
digital camera to offer 1.6 million pixels of resolution for under $1,000."

:-)