Getting into large format photography

Old December 6th 08, 06:09 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Howard Lester

Default Getting into large format photography

"John J" wrote

I respect the Graphics for what they can do well. Occasionally I will use
a Super Techika for a hand-held shot. If one wants the most simple LF with
no movements, then something like the Printex with the Kalart rangefinder
is quite reasonable. (Ever seen one? I have a few of them and can post a
picture.)

No, I haven't. Is it "legal" to post a picture on this newsgroup?

Old December 6th 08, 07:55 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Lawrence Akutagawa

"John J" wrote in message
Howard Lester wrote:
"John J" wrote

I too second the emotion of looking for a Crown Graphic,

As a university instructor I must disagree -IF the student is assigned
to a large format project which requires camera movements.

I'll leave it at that - self apparent: I hope.

I agree with you, John. I think it's foolish to spend time and money with
a camera that is so comparatively limited, when he could spend the same
amount or maybe a little bit more on something that can satisfy his
requirements for years to come. (I could be wrong about the overall
costs, but you get the idea.) To me, "large format" means a camera with
reasonably substantial, workable movements -- not just that it uses film
that is 4x5" or larger. What could he learn with a camera with
restrictive movements? Not recommended for a beginner. On the other hand,
I would recommend a Crown or equivalent for a *seasoned* LF photographer
to use as a *secondary* camera due to its relative portability - a
portable camera that uses large size film.

I respect the Graphics for what they can do well. Occasionally I will use
a Super Techika for a hand-held shot. If one wants the most simple LF with
no movements, then something like the Printex with the Kalart rangefinder
is quite reasonable. (Ever seen one? I have a few of them and can post a
picture.)

My two bits -

I started with the Calumet 4x5 monorail and found it much too cumbersome.
So I acquired a MPP field camera and liked it one whole bunch. Compact,
fairly light, solidly built, and lots of movements. Then I had an
opportunity to get a Linhof Color monorail. Now here is what I had been
looking for - kind of minimalist in design with all the bells and whistles
you need. While I wouldn't take it backpacking (the Gowland Pocket View is
better for that http://www.petergowland.com/camera/ ), it is small and light
enough to be taken on road trips. I particularly like being able to focus
moving the back standard...not feasible with any field camera. Result - the
beloved MPP sits on the shelf.

Old December 6th 08, 09:06 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
John J

Howard Lester wrote:
"John J" wrote

I respect the Graphics for what they can do well. Occasionally I will use
a Super Techika for a hand-held shot. If one wants the most simple LF with
no movements, then something like the Printex with the Kalart rangefinder
is quite reasonable. (Ever seen one? I have a few of them and can post a
picture.)

No, I haven't. Is it "legal" to post a picture on this newsgroup?

Nope, but here's a link!
http://www.digoliardi.net/printex.jpg
(without the rangefinder attached)

http://www.digoliardi.net/printex-mod.jpg
(failed project - modify for 3" biogon)
Old December 7th 08, 03:05 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
otzi

As a university instructor I must disagree -IF the student is assigned
to a large format project which requires camera movements.

I'll leave it at that - self apparent: I hope.

I agree with you, John._To me, "large format" means a camera with
reasonably substantial, workable movements --

I started with the Calumet 4x5 monorail and found it much too cumbersome.
So I acquired a MPP field camera and liked it one whole bunch. Compact,
fairly light, solidly built, and lots of movements. Then I had an
opportunity to get a Linhof Color monorail.

OK. So here then is my second suggestion if pretzel confusion is the
curriculum requirement. Any Sinar F series. Like the Graphic it too is
plentiful on the bay. Bog simple and infinitely interchangeable with
upgradeable bits as cash allows. Hell there is only 4 bits to them, Rail
with clamp front and rear standards and bellows.

But the clincher is, in my opinion, that the base tilt is close to the board
base. Apart from the yaw free aspect which is probably lost on a student, it
makes for easier focus due to it's relative closeness to asymmetric hinge
point. So as you raise the standard this point doesn't change. Compare the
Norma style. Raise the lens and the tilt point is way back down by the rail
with the associated additional focus complexities.

There are lots and lots of different cameras out there. It could be said
they are all good, well nearly all, but few offer the parts, retro and
currant compatibility along with the potential to extend the rail to the
next county if one so wishes.

Hmm, if one were to gather enough rails one could conceivably photograph
ones own backside? Maybe if one stuffed magnets in them. Is that how they
bend light? Would make setting the lens a breeze. = Otzi

Old December 9th 08, 07:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Thor Lancelot Simon

In article ,
John J wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 12/5/2008 5:20 AM John J spake thus:

otzi wrote:

May I venture a look at the Crown Graphic. Bog simple, light, easy,
quick to use, robust, easy to repair, and there are lots and lots on
the bay. [...]

I did not mention the Graphics because I thought that the user was a
student who would need it for a class, and for LF that always means a
camera with generous movements, which the Graphic does not have.

I too second the emotion of looking for a Crown Graphic,

As a university instructor I must disagree -IF the student is assigned
to a large format project which requires camera movements.

As a former BFA candidate in photography at one of the better programs
(at least, it was then), I agree with you: a camera with movements as
limited as those of a Crown or even a Technikardan would not have been
sufficient for most of the exercises we were assigned that required a
large format camera.

I owned a Wisner Trad at the time and there were studio exercises in
the lighting and large-format classes which required me to get a monorail
from the equipment cage just like everyone else, because the Wisner didn't
have enough flexibility to get them done.

On the other hand, a Cambo or Calumet or Graphic View would have worked,
and those crunch down small enough to go in a backpack with some very
minimal disassembly. Not as compact as a field camera but they will
get it done and they are quite cheap.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon
"Even experienced UNIX users occasionally enter rm *.* at the UNIX
Old December 10th 08, 08:45 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Nicholas O. Lindan

how likely do you think it is that a beginning
photography student would be given an assignment
requiring movements?

At RIT? 100%
At Brooks? Ditto
At -fill in the blank with something worth its filling-? About the same.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Old January 22nd 09, 04:04 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
John J

VOR-DME wrote:

A monorail camera is a better learning support, as it is a direct application
of an optical bench.

I would recommend a camera with clear zero indicators for beginners.

And to the other poster - there are a lot of field cameras that permit
focusing from the rear standard. Deardorff is just one. The ancient
Century-1 is another.

Old January 22nd 09, 04:23 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
VOR-DME

In article ,
says...

My two bits -

I started with the Calumet 4x5 monorail and found it much too cumbersome.
So I acquired a MPP field camera and liked it one whole bunch. Compact,
fairly light, solidly built, and lots of movements. Then I had an
opportunity to get a Linhof Color monorail. Now here is what I had been
looking for - kind of minimalist in design with all the bells and whistles
you need. While I wouldn't take it backpacking (the Gowland Pocket View is
better for that
http://www.petergowland.com/camera/ ), it is small and light
enough to be taken on road trips. I particularly like being able to focus
moving the back standard...not feasible with any field camera. Result - the
beloved MPP sits on the shelf.

Well, my experience is almost the opposite. I started with a Linhof mid-format
Technika III, but I found the little knowledge I had of large format already
far surpassed the limitations of the camera - or let's say the "normal" use of
large format required incredible gymnastics to squeeze out of that mechanically
limited box. What a breath of fresh air when I finally acquired a real 4x5
monorail (also Linhof). At last everything I had wanted to do became
straightforward. In this way I guess I agree with those who feel the more
limited camera is better suited to seasoned users. Today I'm sure I would have
no difficulty coercing the required performance out of that little Linhof.

Old January 22nd 09, 05:13 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
erie patsellis

John J wrote:
VOR-DME wrote:

A monorail camera is a better learning support, as it is a direct
application of an optical bench.

I would recommend a camera with clear zero indicators for beginners.

And to the other poster - there are a lot of field cameras that permit
focusing from the rear standard. Deardorff is just one. The ancient
Century-1 is another.

Hey, shouldn't you be resting or something???

erie
Old January 22nd 09, 01:15 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
John J

erie patsellis wrote:
John J wrote:
VOR-DME wrote:

A monorail camera is a better learning support, as it is a direct
application of an optical bench.

I would recommend a camera with clear zero indicators for beginners.

And to the other poster - there are a lot of field cameras that permit
focusing from the rear standard. Deardorff is just one. The ancient
Century-1 is another.

Hey, shouldn't you be resting or something???

That's Tomorrow (Friday), 09:00. Thanks for the reminder!