Computer won't recognise 4GB cards

Old August 18th 08, 11:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

Default Computer won't recognise 4GB cards

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 13:21:30 -0700 (PDT), railfan wrote:

My computer is several years old and works fine so I don't want to
replace it yet. It has a multi card reader built in, and I've always
downloaded my digital images this way. It won't recognise cards
larger than 2GB, and I understand that such cards use the FAT 32
format, smaller ones use FAT 16 or ?. I tried two different 4GB SD
cards and nothing at all happens when they are inserted into the slot.

I mentioned this to a fellow recently who said he was a computer tech,
suggested I get a separate card reader, plug it into the USB slot and
it should download 4GB (or larger) cards. I can't see how a card
reader could do this, but there possibly could be something to it.
Perhaps there are electronics in a reader that would process the
images?

Anyone know if this does work? It's not really a big deal because the
2GB cards I use have yet to be filled by my three different digital
cameras (one DSLR, one ZLR and one point and shoot), but I would like
to have the option of using bigger cards if I needed to in the future.

Possibly. It may also be that your 4GB card really isn't SD, but
is one of the newer SDHC cards that aren't quite compatible with
older SD hardware. To alleviate this problem, Sandisk includes a
small USB-SDHC adapter with some of their 4GB cards. Mine came with
a 4GB Ultra II SDHC card. Without it, my fairly new HP computer
wasn't able to access the card. With the adapter, I can read from
and write to the card with no problems. If this is causing your
problem and the card reader recommended by the computer tech. guy
also supports SDHC cards, it should help. If the problem is caused
by your computer not being compatible with formats greater than 2GB,
you could try the card reader, but try to buy it from a store that
allows full refunds if it doesn't work. I had that problem about 2
years ago and was able to return the card reader to Staples without
any difficulty. I think (not sure) that Circuit City has the same
return policy, as long as returns are made in a timely manner.