Graflex Crown Graphics lensboard

Old February 28th 08, 09:37 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Kamox

Default Graflex Crown Graphics lensboard

Hello,
do you know if a lens mounted on a sinar lensboard fits a 4x5 Crown
Graphics?
Thanks.
--
Kamox

Old February 28th 08, 01:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Peter[_8_]

On Feb 28, 9:37*am, "Kamox" wrote:
Hello,
do you know if a lens mounted on a sinar lensboard fits a 4x5 Crown
Graphics?
Thanks.
--
Kamox

The lens might, but the Sinar lens board is too big for a Crown
Graphic. To use the lens with a Crown Graphic you'll need to either
change the board or improvise an adapter (since the Sinar board is
much bigger than a Graphic board, this will probably be quite
inconvenient).
Old February 28th 08, 11:06 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Kazdan

Along those lines--anyone have a history of Speed Graphic lensboards? I
have seen several different ones that are not compatible. I am going to
wind up having to make one for some Linhof-mounted lenses, and a drawing
would be very helpful--anyone?

David

Old February 29th 08, 03:17 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Richard Knoppow

. net...

Kamox wrote:
Hello,
do you know if a lens mounted on a sinar lensboard fits a
4x5 Crown Graphics?
Thanks.

See http://www.graflex.org This lists the various
models of Speed Graphics and other Graflex made cameras
along with lensboard sizes.
There was a change in the size and type of lensboard
used on the Speed Graphic when it went from the Anniversary
to the Pacemaker series about 1947. The older boards were
wood and the new ones stamped metal of a different size and
design. The wooden boards were used on the Anniversary
series (1939 to 1947) and on the earlier "pre-anniversary"
models.
Each size of camera has its own size board.
There is an adaptor to use 4x5 Pacemaker boards on older
4x5 cameras but AFAIK, there were never adaptors for other
size cameras.
The Graphic View uses metal lens boards of the same
design as used on the 4x5 Anniversary Speed Graphic, they
are interchangible. I am not sure what size board the 5x7
Speed Graphic used but it was a relatively small wood board.
Crown Graphics originated with the introduction of the
Pacemaker series so there were none that used wooden boards.
Folmer & Schwing, and its successor Graflex Inc., also
made the famous Graflex SLR cameras. These used different
lens boards than the Speed or Crown Graphic or Graphic made
view cameras. In general each size and model had its own
board. See the Graflex site for more about this.
Graflex also made the Crown View camera, a low cost 4x5
camera until about 1947. I think this used the same lens
board as the 4x5 Anniversary Graphic. F&S and Graflex also
made view cameras for Kodak which were sold under the Kodak
or Century name.
The 4"x4" wood boards as used on the Anniversary Graphic
were also used on a number of other cameras including the
Burke & James press camera.
These are easy boards to make (as are most wood boards)
but the Pacemaker boards are not. You pretty much have to
have an original.
Note that the boards used on the Super-Graphic are the
same size as the Pacemaker boards but have additonal lock
bumps on them. The board for the Super-Speed-Graphic also
has an electrical fitting for the shutter tripper.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old February 29th 08, 11:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Kazdan

Thanks, Richard, as always. That answers the question. I did make one
duplicate of the wood one that fit fairly well, and that explains why a
dealer handed me a stamped metal arrangement that looked nothing like
what I needed.

David

Richard Knoppow wrote:
"David Kazdan" wrote in message
. net...
Along those lines--anyone have a history of Speed Graphic
lensboards? I have seen several different ones that are
not compatible. I am going to wind up having to make one
for some Linhof-mounted lenses, and a drawing would be
very helpful--anyone?

David

See http://www.graflex.org This lists the various
models of Speed Graphics and other Graflex made cameras
along with lensboard sizes.

etc.