Bad CF card

Old May 25th 14, 12:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Bad CF card

In article , PeterN
wrote:

I set my camera to not take the image if the card is full, or not
inserted.

where is this setting, where the camera can take an image when the card
is full?

In he menu. the information is available online.

avoiding answering, i see.

once again, where is the setting for when the card is full?

i'm not talking about the setting for when there is no card, which just
about every camera has.

Same answer you have given. Do your own research.

in other words, you're full of **** as usual. got it.

Logical conclusion. Since you regularly give that answer, you must know
the meaning. I totally accept your definition. Except fill up a card,
and try it.

at least you admit you're full of ****. that's a start.

BTW the factory default for the Nikon D300 is to take images without a
card inserted,

i always have the camera set that way since i often want to test things
without a card in it and it's very easy to check to see if there's a
card in it before shooting.
Old May 25th 14, 02:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-05-25 01:25:48 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Sat, 24 May 2014 16:39:19 -0700, Savageduck

On 2014-05-24 20:50:10 +0000, PeterN said:

On 5/24/2014 3:45 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

I set my camera to not take the image if the card is full, or not inserted.

where is this setting, where the camera can take an image when the card
is full?

In he menu. the information is available online.

avoiding answering, i see.

once again, where is the setting for when the card is full?

i'm not talking about the setting for when there is no card, which just
about every camera has.

Same answer you have given. Do your own research.

I can only speak for my D300S, and that only gives you an option to
enable shutter release if there is no memory card inserted. If the
release is locked the shutter will not trip if there is no card in the
camera. There is nothing relating to overwriting on a full card.
The D300S manual entry:
https://db.tt/3DhFIZB2

Is this lock on a full card a D800 option? If so cite catalog page, I
don't own a D800.

I've never filled a card, but according to this:
http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/de...-be-used-error

the

Nikon D300 display will show "CHA" if the CF card is full.

…and that makes perfect sense.

There are other reasons the CHA message will appear, though. One
reason seems to result in the images being deleted from the previous
shoot instead of formatting the card. Since I always format, I've not
experienced this problem.

I very seldom delete in the field, and usually format once I have moved
the RAW files to my computer and archive. I carry extra CF & SDHC cards.

For air shows and motor sport events I usually have a fresh 16GB CF + a
16GB SDHC in the secondary slot. I have filled the CF on several
occasions, and the *overflow* has transitioned seamlessly to the SDHC.
No error code has ever shown, and there has been no need to change
cards.
I get the usual *No memory card “E”*when both slots are empty. I can be
a forgetful dumb ass at times, so I have the D300S set to lock if there
is no memory installed. I don’t like the idea of having a morning of
shooting an empty camera.

Another reason may be that the card is not
properly seated.

I’ve not experienced that issue yet.

Savageduck

Old May 25th 14, 02:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

[...]

Set that way? Why do you need to set anything, and what do you set?

you're not paying attention, as usual.

If you trip the shutter on a Nikon D300 with no card inserted, the
display reads "-E-" and the LCD has the word "DEMO" in red when you
see the reviewed image. If you review images, it says "No memory
card".

Of course it's "easy". You just look at either display. But, nothing
needs to be "set".

rtfm. specifically, custom setting f9 for the d300 & f10 for the d300s.

savageduck posted the page from the manual so you don't even need to
look too hard.

try reading before you spew.

What would you "test", by the way? If there is a card, and you do a
test image, you just delete it. What advantage is there to "testing"
it without a card?

no need to delete anything. duh.

I fire off a test image or two to check the histogram, but you need to
have a card inserted to do that.

no, and the histogram isn't the only thing to test anyway.
Old May 25th 14, 02:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article 201405241850289669-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck
wrote:

Another reason may be that the card is not
properly seated.

Ive not experienced that issue yet.

the card door won't shut if that's the case.
Old May 25th 14, 03:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 5/24/2014 7:00 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2014.05.24, 10:49 , PeterN wrote:
On 5/24/2014 8:06 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2014.05.23, 19:27 , nospam wrote:
In article , Scott Schuckert
wrote:

That's one of the reasons I use smallish 2 GB SD cards - so as to keep
all my eggs out of one basket.

either you have a relatively low megapixel camera or you don't mind
managing a ****load of cards.

and by having more cards, the chance of any one of them failing is
higher.

Not a useful factoid. The chances that you have two failed cards in the
field on the same day are vanishingly small - unless the camera is
causing the damage which would be a different issue altogether.

The higher chance of failure issue you describe is useful for, say, a
twin engine airplane. With two engines spinning at the same time, the
chances of an engine failure are twice that of a single engine airplane.
OTOH, the single engine pilot is then out of options.

While you are correct, Twin engine planes can still fly on one engine.

An awful lot of Twin Comanche pilots can't attest from the grave on that
one, unfortunately. Same (to a lesser degree) for a lot of other
piston powered twins...

In a CG aft, gross weight case, critical side failure at a high
altitude/high temperature - engine failure just after take off can be a
very, very dicey thing...

I should have added that during a landing approach and just after and
during take-off, there is not much time to compensate for the loss of an
engine. Even during level flight, it takes a lot of skill to compensate.

--
PeterN
Old May 25th 14, 03:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 5/24/2014 7:49 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

I set my camera to not take the image if the card is full, or not
inserted.

where is this setting, where the camera can take an image when the card
is full?

In he menu. the information is available online.

avoiding answering, i see.

once again, where is the setting for when the card is full?

i'm not talking about the setting for when there is no card, which just
about every camera has.

Same answer you have given. Do your own research.

in other words, you're full of **** as usual. got it.

Logical conclusion. Since you regularly give that answer, you must know
the meaning. I totally accept your definition. Except fill up a card,
and try it.

at least you admit you're full of ****. that's a start.

Just as much as you did. Your response is as close to an admission of
being wrong as you have ever given.

BTW the factory default for the Nikon D300 is to take images without a
card inserted,

i always have the camera set that way since i often want to test things
without a card in it and it's very easy to check to see if there's a
card in it before shooting.

Your choice. I don't work that way.

--
PeterN
Old May 25th 14, 03:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

I know. Just wanted to show nospam how asinine his frequently used
response is. I got him to admit how easy it is to tell how frequently he
is FOS

--
PeterN
Old May 25th 14, 03:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

I can only speak for my D300S, and that only gives you an option to
enable shutter release if there is no memory card inserted. If the
release is locked the shutter will not trip if there is no card in the
camera. There is nothing relating to overwriting on a full card.
The D300S manual entry:
https://db.tt/3DhFIZB2

Is this lock on a full card a D800 option? If so cite catalog page, I
don't own a D800.

I know. Just wanted to show nospam how asinine his frequently used
response is. I got him to admit how easy it is to tell how frequently he
is FOS

no you don't know. you said you set the camera to not take a photo when
the card is full. there is no such setting.

there's only one person who is fos and that's you.
Old May 25th 14, 03:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

nonsense. you made a statement and are refusing to admit it's bogus
after having been cornered. very typical of you.
Old May 25th 14, 03:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 5/24/2014 10:19 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

my statement was completly accurate, except that I said yiu can set the
menu so the shutter won't release with a full card. I knew you would
bite. You aare so anxious to argue, that you never fact check. your own
words prove you FOS.

--
PeterN