Fuji 7000 v 5500

Old May 4th 06, 06:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

Default Fuji 7000 v 5500

I've been using a 5500 for more than a year now and like it a lot.
There's a special offer on a 7000 which is tempting.
Anyone any comments?
mikej

Old May 5th 06, 08:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

measekite wrote:
I am not sure but I do not think it has image stabilization. I would
only consider camera that have that feature.

Same here - the smaller sensors in non-SLR cameras work best (produce the
lowest noise images) at speeds of around ISO 50 - 100, and when equivalent
focal lengths around 400mm are available, having the two - three stops
gain of image stabilisation available makes all the difference between
getting the picture or getting a blur. I would not buy a camera without
IS, without very good reason.

David

Old May 5th 06, 10:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

I've read posts in this group about IS and how important it is.
I bought the 5500 before I heard about this idea and I can't say I've found
the lack of it a problem. Before the 5500 I used a heavy SLR (Olympus OM10)
and lenses or a Bronica on a tripod. When I swapped the the 5500 I found it
small light and with an amazingly good zoom lens compared to the kit I had
to carry before. While it does sometimes warn me that the shutter speed is
too low for the zoom I can generally take a photo using all the tricks
needed with an SLR. It doesn't always work - but at least I'm not wasting
film :-)

I'm not that serious about photography any more and don't want to spend a
lot of cash so the 7000 seemed like a good option - and perhaps what you
never had you don't miss.

Thanks for the comments though.
mikej