Digital Iso question

Old October 17th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature
GLL

Default Digital Iso question

Been reading about the iso settings and was just wondering what Iso setting
most of you use, I know that it depends on conditions, and equipment but
just where do you start seeing noise, read somewhere there is no noticeable
difference in 100 and 200, do you find that true in real world situations ?
what point do you think I'll shoot but results may not be good.

I have all the patience in the world......I just don't have the time to use
it !

Gary & Debbie Langley
Nature and Wildlife Photography
http:\\www.gllangley.com

Old October 17th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature
Thomas Hintze

GLL artikulierte sich am 17 Okt 2006 wie folgt:

equipment but just where do you start seeing noise, read somewhere
there is no noticeable difference in 100 and 200, do you find that
true in real world situations ? what point do you think I'll shoot but
results may not be good.

GLL,

for me, it's pretty simple. I use the ISO settings that are necessary for
the current conditions: Correlation between speed and aperture. As low as
possible and as high as necessary. Fortunately vibrations reduction lenses
can help a bit in this matter.
And indeed, if 200 is necessary there are no drawbacks. I try to go not
above 400 with my Nikons (D2x and D200). But, if the motif is very
special, ISO is not the limiting thing.

Greets form Germany

Thomas

Old October 27th 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature
Barry

Most of the time, I find myself using 200 ISO but it depends. I use a Canon
20D and image stabilizing lenses so I have a bit more latitude than some.
However, I also use 400-800 ISO quite a bit in low light situations. I do a
lot of wildlife photo work and much of it is not in the best light
conditions and/or I have a subject matter that is moving too quickly for
slower shutter speeds and I have to move the ISO up. I've tried moving up
from 800 but can see the difference...although, you have to make a choice at
times between taking the photo and working with a high ISO or passing on the
photo. I always try to get the photo I want. You might want to get some
reading material on the relative balances (advantages and disadvantages) of
various shutter speed and aperture settings...and ISO settings as well.
Then, when you are getting ready to take the photo, you'll know what you
have to sacrifice in order to get the proper setting i.e. can you work with
a larger aperture and less depth of field, are you okay with a slower
shutter speed (is it too slow for you to hand hold, can you use a tripod, is
your subject moving or not etc.) and do you really need the sharp detail in
the photo that you'll often times loose with higher ISO setting (and the
noise issue as well). There are some wildlife shots that I've taken at very
high ISO settings but it was the only way I could get the shot...and I dealt
with the issues using Photoshop CS2. Also...not all photos are negatively
impacted by being soft or having some "noise" present. It all
depends....Oh...and one other thing; your ISO, shutter speed, aperture
settings will also be impacted by the lens you're using. For instance, if
I'm taking a photo of an animal in low light and trying to use my 100-400mm
lens, although it has IS, it's has slower glass than my 70-200 IS, with is
an f/2.8. The faster glass helps compensate for concerns that I would
otherwise have with the camera settings. But, there again, you usually have
to sacrifice something....in this example, I had to drop from 400mm to 200mm
and take the time to change lenses.

One last bit of advice. In between shots (especially if you're doing
wildlife work but it's also true with kids, pets etc. that are moving around
and you want to get that "great photo" when it presents itself), you should
determine what settings you will probably need for that "quick shot" and
keep the camera at those settings, only making changes as you have to...but
always returning to the "base settings". That way, you are not caught
fiddling with the camera settings while your "great shot" opportunity
disappears. For instance, when I'm walking the forests and anticipate a
fast running critter popping up at any time, I'll have my camera set for
such a photo i.e. very fast shutter speed etc. If I stop and take a photo
that doesn't require such settings, I make the changes. But, with a quickly
moving subject that suddenly appears, I don't want to be caught "flat
footed" and fumbling around with my camera.

Good quality lenses, fast glass and IS all help a lot...but they're
expensive, as you know.

Barry

Old December 2nd 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature
silvercelt

Commonly use 200, but would depend on conditions.