Suggestions for a *simple* point and shoot

Old August 7th 08, 06:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave[_27_]

Default Suggestions for a *simple* point and shoot

Following my questions about where to buy a D3, I now have another issue
- at the other end of the camera spectrum.

I'd like to buy my wife, who is retired, a point and shoot camera, but
she is not at all technical and has a strong dislike of gadgets. Ideally
I'd like something that flashes when it needs to without her having to
make a decision if it needs flash.

I'm looking for something with the least buttons, knobs or other
controls, so she has less chance of getting into a mess with it. I want
something quite compact too, but simplicity is more important than size
or picture quality.

Suggestions?
Old August 7th 08, 07:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Digital Deviate

Dave wrote:
Following my questions about where to buy a D3, I now have another issue
- at the other end of the camera spectrum.

I'd like to buy my wife, who is retired, a point and shoot camera, but
she is not at all technical and has a strong dislike of gadgets. Ideally
I'd like something that flashes when it needs to without her having to
make a decision if it needs flash.

I'm looking for something with the least buttons, knobs or other
controls, so she has less chance of getting into a mess with it. I want
something quite compact too, but simplicity is more important than size
or picture quality.

Suggestions?

Yeah. Boot her out and find yourself a woman who isn't as stupid and
chronically disinterested in modern life. The new one probably won't be
so fat either.

I can't stand women like that, the type who after decades still can't
use the remote controls or program a video.

Men are from Mars and SOME women are from Venus, but most are from
somewhere slightly south of stupid.

DeeD
Old August 7th 08, 08:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Dave wrote:
Following my questions about where to buy a D3, I now have another issue
- at the other end of the camera spectrum.

I'd like to buy my wife, who is retired, a point and shoot camera, but
she is not at all technical and has a strong dislike of gadgets. Ideally
I'd like something that flashes when it needs to without her having to
make a decision if it needs flash.

I'm looking for something with the least buttons, knobs or other
controls, so she has less chance of getting into a mess with it. I want
something quite compact too, but simplicity is more important than size
or picture quality.

Suggestions?

If she won't be insulted by the idea, look at children's cameras.
Seriously. They are specifically designed for simplicity. I've seen this
question before regarding elderly parents and that was the best answer
that came out of the discussion. All other cameras are designed &
marketed to have the maximum number of neat tricks, that's what sells &
looks impressive in the marketing.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old August 7th 08, 02:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 06:58:38 +0100, Dave wrote:

Following my questions about where to buy a D3, I now have another issue
- at the other end of the camera spectrum.

I'd like to buy my wife, who is retired, a point and shoot camera, but
she is not at all technical and has a strong dislike of gadgets. Ideally
I'd like something that flashes when it needs to without her having to
make a decision if it needs flash.

I'm looking for something with the least buttons, knobs or other
controls, so she has less chance of getting into a mess with it. I want
something quite compact too, but simplicity is more important than size
or picture quality.

Suggestions?

Most of the low- to medium-range p&s cameras have the same functions.
Find one that fits comfortably in her hand. Feel is more important
than function in your case.

My wife is not good with mechanical devices, either. When she uses my
p&s the mistake she most often makes is not checking the mode dial
before snapping. If I could just get her to make sure to see that is
set on the green "automatic" mode, she wouldn't blow as many shots.
If it was a camera that she, and she alone, used, I'd tape the dial to
that setting. Maybe even superglue it.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old August 7th 08, 02:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave[_27_]

Paul Furman wrote:
Dave wrote:
[...]

Thank you for that. I'd never thought of that option, but it is one
worth pursuing. My only concern is children seem better at these sorts
of things than most adults!

I like Tony's idea too - tape the controls.

I've often thought there was some millage in having electronic devices
where functionality can be restricted. My Dad has a TV with a remote
control which fits in a shroud. The remote has about 50 buttons on one
side, and about 12 on the other. Depending on what side is fitted into
the shroud, either the 50 or 12 can be seen.

I consider myself reasonably technically savvy. I have a degree in
electronics, and a PhD in a science subject. Yet I find some of the
gadgets now too complex. I think I'm the wrong side of 25!

I've just bought a D3, and that is complex, but I do have a desire to
learn to use that. When it comes to a TV or similar, I don't really feel
I want to know such intricate details, but its almost impossible to
escape these days.

dave
Old August 7th 08, 03:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Dave wrote:
Following my questions about where to buy a D3, I now have another issue
- at the other end of the camera spectrum.

I'd like to buy my wife, who is retired, a point and shoot camera, but
she is not at all technical and has a strong dislike of gadgets. Ideally
I'd like something that flashes when it needs to without her having to
make a decision if it needs flash.

I'm looking for something with the least buttons, knobs or other
controls, so she has less chance of getting into a mess with it. I want
something quite compact too, but simplicity is more important than size
or picture quality.

A mobile (cell) phone with camera and flash. One button turns it into
a camera. One button takes a photograph. And if she gets into trouble
one fast-dial button can ring you up for advice :-)

Designed for people who think simple cameras are complicated, such as
teenagers whose brains are in the intermediate soupy pupal meltdown
stage of transformation between child and adult.

--
Chris Malcolm DoD #205
[

Old August 7th 08, 04:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 06:58:38 +0100, Dave wrote:

Following my questions about where to buy a D3, I now have another issue
- at the other end of the camera spectrum.

I'd like to buy my wife, who is retired, a point and shoot camera, but
she is not at all technical and has a strong dislike of gadgets. Ideally
I'd like something that flashes when it needs to without her having to
make a decision if it needs flash.

I'm looking for something with the least buttons, knobs or other
controls, so she has less chance of getting into a mess with it. I want
something quite compact too, but simplicity is more important than size
or picture quality.

Suggestions?

FWIW - my wife still uses her coolpix 2100. She simply points and shoots.
Old August 7th 08, 05:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Clair Johnston

ray wrote:
On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 06:58:38 +0100, Dave wrote:

Following my questions about where to buy a D3, I now have another issue
- at the other end of the camera spectrum.

I'd like to buy my wife, who is retired, a point and shoot camera, but
she is not at all technical and has a strong dislike of gadgets. Ideally
I'd like something that flashes when it needs to without her having to
make a decision if it needs flash.

I'm looking for something with the least buttons, knobs or other
controls, so she has less chance of getting into a mess with it. I want
something quite compact too, but simplicity is more important than size
or picture quality.

Suggestions?

FWIW, I would not suggest the cheapest/simplest P&S. Let me give my
reasoning/experience.

I have been taking pictures for 45+ years and my wife has showed little
interest other than to critique. For Christmas 2006, our youngest son,
bought her a Nikon L6 (~$100). With little help from me she began
taking pictures with a vengeance and outgrew the camera by June. I
bought her a Panasonic TZ3 which she has learned to use a little bit at
a time and is now very interested in photography. She likes the smaller
size and the 10x zoom and has no interest in my DSLR's. Many of her
pictures rival (some exceed) mine. The only problem she has, is not
being able to control the focus accurately and anything requiring fast
response time.

Not being technical is not an inhibitor. If she has a desire to take
pictures, that is all that is needed. Also, be cautious with how you
offer help. Let her critique her own work and offer suggestions
reluctantly. My guess is she will surprise you.

Clair
Old August 7th 08, 06:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 12:37:11 -0400, Clair Johnston wrote:

ray wrote:
[...]

What 'work'? It sounds like the woman wants a simple camera to take
snapshots with!
Old August 10th 08, 09:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave[_27_]

Richard wrote:
How about a Holga?

I don't fancy the hassle of 120 filem. Also, they are quite large. I
want something compact so she will actually take it out and use it -
mainly for family snaps.