contest winners

Old September 7th 15, 04:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

Default contest winners

On 9/7/2015 12:30 AM, wrote:
Thought denizens of this board might appreciate this, from WSJ:
http://www.wsj.com/articles/award-wi...one-1438873433

However, this probably won't load, it's subscribers only.
Try Google News, enter:
WSJ + "award winning pictures"

That ought to load, though I can't explain such computer riddles -

--
Rich

http://www.ippawards.com/2015-winning-photographs/
Old September 7th 15, 04:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-09-07 15:20:02 +0000, Ron C said:

http://www.ippawards.com/2015-winning-photographs/

....and not one interpretive shot of Trump's hair in the bunch.

Savageduck

Old September 7th 15, 09:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2015-09-07 15:20:02 +0000, Ron C said:

http://www.ippawards.com/2015-winning-photographs/

...and not one interpretive shot of Trump's hair in the bunch.

I was hoping against hope, that subject would not appear here.

--
PeterN
Old September 7th 15, 09:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 9/7/2015 11:51 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Mon, 7 Sep 2015 08:30:02 -0700, Savageduck

On 2015-09-07 15:20:02 +0000, Ron C said:

http://www.ippawards.com/2015-winning-photographs/

...and not one interpretive shot of Trump's hair in the bunch.

The grey Crowned Crane has Trump's style without the front comb-over.
The crane's top plumage is what Trump's will look like when he is
surprised by dropping like bird**** from on high in the polls.

Getting back to photography, I like a lot of those images, but how do
you think they would do in a camera club competition?

--
PeterN
Old September 7th 15, 09:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-09-07 15:20:02 +0000, Ron C said:

http://www.ippawards.com/2015-winning-photographs/

...and not one interpretive shot of Trump's hair in the bunch.

I was hoping against hope, that subject would not appear here.

It didn't.

Savageduck

Old September 7th 15, 09:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-09-07 15:20:02 +0000, Ron C said:

http://www.ippawards.com/2015-winning-photographs/

...and not one interpretive shot of Trump's hair in the bunch.

The grey Crowned Crane has Trump's style without the front comb-over.
The crane's top plumage is what Trump's will look like when he is
surprised by dropping like bird**** from on high in the polls.

Getting back to photography, I like a lot of those images, but how do
you think they would do in a camera club competition?

That depends on the amount of PP, or capture generated noise is
visible, and how severely they have been over sharpened.

Savageduck

Old September 8th 15, 12:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2015-09-07 15:20:02 +0000, Ron C said:

http://www.ippawards.com/2015-winning-photographs/

...and not one interpretive shot of Trump's hair in the bunch.

The grey Crowned Crane has Trump's style without the front comb-over.
The crane's top plumage is what Trump's will look like when he is
surprised by dropping like bird**** from on high in the polls.

Getting back to photography, I like a lot of those images, but how do
you think they would do in a camera club competition?

In my club, the judge would mark down the 1st place black and white
for the lighter spot at the right. Eye-grabbing distraction. He'd
make a big deal of the bird's shadow being wrong in the 2nd place
photo. The 3rd place entry would be dismissed for not having a
central point of interest.

First place in Architecture would elicit comments about a different
crop, First place in Animals has a tilted horizon, and the Abstract is
too centered.

The above are not *my* criticisms; they are what I think the judges
would come up with.

You are illustrating the difference between judging craft, and judging art.
I have some photo artist friends who have told me that they would never
judge a CC competition, because the "rules" are too often inconsistent
with art. They have also agreed that they would not ever judge CC
competitions. Every so often we have an artist who did not grow up in
the CC system. It is a pleasure to hear comments from an artistic POV.
However there are quite a few who like to decorate their walls with
ribbons, and who emphasize the craft over the art.

In the early 80s I stopped competing in CC competitions. I found myself
looking at a row of images and selecting images on the basis of which
one I thought a judge would like. I just said to myself, WTF are you
doing? And I dropped all participation in CC, took up golf and scuba
diving. About 12 years ago, golf gave me up, and I renewed my interest
in photography. This time around I enter images I like, and don't really
give much thought to what the score. I am more concerned with the
comments. (That's not completely true. There is one judge who
consistently looks for an "Indian in a red canoe." When he judges I
deliberately put in landscapes that include the same red canoe.)

--
PeterN