IrfanView: sometimes very slow loading

Old September 14th 15, 04:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default IrfanView: sometimes very slow loading

Savageduck wrote:

dropbox on ios syncs when the app is run. if there's no connectivity,
you can only see what has previously been synced.

I have a pretty active Dropbox account and many of my image files have
been loaded in DB for some time and have always been accessible on my
iPhone and iPad with the DB app. However, if I am offline the iPad
cannot connect with the DB server and cannot access the image files on
that server. The result is, offline I see no image files stored on DB
even those which had previously been available when online.

you need to mark files as favourites for them to stay local.
it didn't used to work that way.
Old September 14th 15, 05:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
David Taylor

On 13/09/2015 23:25, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 11:41:40 +0100, David Taylor

[] As you say, running a program as Administrator (but why does it need
that?) is a right-click away. Same applies in Win-10.

I was discussing what happened to W7. For several years it never used
to require a right-click run as administrator to save a new screen
profile from Spyder - then - suddenly it did. No warning and no
official explanation.

Never seen that happen. I would suggest talking with the program
developer, had you not been able to find a solution. Mind you, if the
program is attempting to write to those bits of the registry in the
"machine" branch rather than just the "user" branch, it's understandable
that admin would be required.

Once again I was talking about W7. This time when copying files into
Dropbox. Suddenly, when selecting a file with left-click, dragging
didn't just copy a file into Dropbox: it moved it, leaving nothing in
the directory from which it had come.

That will happen if your Dropbox is located on the same partition as the
source file. Would happen on any version of Windows.

--
Cheers,
David
Old September 14th 15, 05:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Looks like things are not standardized for all users of all devices.

of course they are.

different experiences are because users do different things.

Damn but you are funny! "different experiences are because users do
different things" is a perfect, if informal, definition of "things are
not standardized for all users of all devices".

nope. the way the app works is standardized across all users for a
given version of the app. period.

where things can (but not always) be different is if one person does
one set of steps and another person does a different set of steps.
Old September 14th 15, 05:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
David Taylor

On 14/09/2015 04:02, Diesel wrote:
[]
I understand. If you don't mind my asking... How many years do you have
in the business as an active.. I'm thinking, bench? tech?

About 25 years in various roles in paid employment, including IT
Security and Windows & UNIX support, and since then I was running my own
business for about 13 years including support of users running my own
and 3rd-party software. Many of the users were primarily interested in
the results from the software rather than knowing about the innards of
Windows itself, but I've also been involved in detailed beta tests of
satellite data downloads where we have been pushing PCs to the limit
(two streams of 60 GB and 300 GB of data daily).

--
Cheers,
David
Old September 14th 15, 05:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 21:49:32 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Once again I was talking about W7. This time when copying files into
Dropbox. Suddenly, when selecting a file with left-click, dragging
didn't just copy a file into Dropbox: it moved it, leaving nothing in
the directory from which it had come.

dragging a file on the same drive has always been a move. it would be
very stupid for that to be a copy.

when dragging to a *different* drive, it's a copy.

Agreed. But until a few weeks ago dragging a file into Dropbox (on the
same drive as the original file) was a copy, not a move.

no it wasn't.

i've never seen that on any version of windows.

If you come round I can show you, as long as you come round more than
about two months ago.

I particularly noticed that as it was contrary to expected conventional
behaviour. And then it just changed.

you're misremembering or you did something to convert it to a copy.

Eric Stevens
Old September 14th 15, 05:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Once again I was talking about W7. This time when copying files into
Dropbox. Suddenly, when selecting a file with left-click, dragging
didn't just copy a file into Dropbox: it moved it, leaving nothing in
the directory from which it had come.

dragging a file on the same drive has always been a move. it would be
very stupid for that to be a copy.

when dragging to a *different* drive, it's a copy.

Agreed. But until a few weeks ago dragging a file into Dropbox (on the
same drive as the original file) was a copy, not a move.

no it wasn't.

i've never seen that on any version of windows.

If you come round I can show you, as long as you come round more than
about two months ago.

you should invite microsoft, because they would really like to see that
happen, especially since they wrote it to not do that.
Old September 14th 15, 05:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 05:03:20 +0100, David Taylor
wrote:

On 13/09/2015 23:25, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 11:41:40 +0100, David Taylor

[] As you say, running a program as Administrator (but why does it need
that?) is a right-click away. Same applies in Win-10.

I was discussing what happened to W7. For several years it never used
to require a right-click run as administrator to save a new screen
profile from Spyder - then - suddenly it did. No warning and no
official explanation.

Never seen that happen.

I was all over rec.photo.digital with this problem only a few weeks
ago.

I would suggest talking with the program
developer, had you not been able to find a solution.

I have spent many frustrating hours in correspondence with several
people from Datacolor. They kept telling me to 'run as administrator'
which I didn't find very helpful as I already (I thought) had
administrator powers. In the end I worked out they meant 'right click
and run as administrator'. That solved the problem. The point was that
this was not necessary before about June 2015.

Old September 14th 15, 05:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 21:58:57 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 18:54:46 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Their financial support comes from developing
products for the larger market.

the main reason is that creating compelling apps on xp is no longer
possible.

Evidently, you are not aware that "support" is a term used to mean
one's source of income as well as a term that means to supply
assistance. I tried to make it clear for you, but to no avail.

If you are an app developer, your support comes from the proceeds of
app development. If you are smart, you will expend your time and
effort in developing apps that work on a present and growing market
and not one in decline. The market for XP apps is in sharp decline.

that's a different definition of support than what the software
industry uses and i'm not surprised you get it wrong.

I had to laugh. This is a typical nospamism.

There are two ways of interpreting a word: you pick one and Tony picks
the other. By definition you are right and Tony is wrong.

he usually picks the wrong definition, often deliberately so that he
can argue. it's what he does.

That's what I said. "By definition, you are right ...".

Tony has a business background and what he had in mind when he wrote
that sentence was business support, or financial support. But you
assumed technical support.

the developer has to support the platform and write the app before it
can have tech support.

I knew from context what Tony meant. Nor am
I surprised that you from your own personal context drew the wrong
conclusion. I accept that the confusion might have been avoided if
Tony had written "If you are an app developer, your *financial*
support comes from the proceeds of app development.
Please don't go on arguing that you were right and Tony was wrong.
Tony knew what he mean. You didn't.

there was no confusion. i know what tony meant. he meant that software
sales support the developer.

except that's not how the term 'support' used in the software or
hardware industry.

when someone says 'developer support' they mean that a developer is
actively developing for a given platform or product.

when someone says 'developers do not support xyz' they mean that few,
if any developers are writing for that platform and chances are that
platform will fade away.

that's how the term is used. his definition is wrong. end of story.

So developers are not financially supported by software? I suppose
that's often true.

Eric Stevens
Old September 14th 15, 05:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 23:09:52 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

This is not a software or hardware industry newsgroup or technical
publication. It is a newsgroup allegedly for people interested in
photography. People interested in photography generally have wide
enough interests that they know all usages of "support".

stop trying to weasel out of it.

like it or not, this newsgroup has a lot of discussions about computers
and software.

the statement was developers don't support xp.

it was not about app revenue supporting developers.

I don't know how many people who read this newsgroup are in the
software or hardware industry, and I doubt if most are. Nospam may
be, but maybe just a clerk at Ace.

you know you're full of **** so you are resorting to insults.

when someone says 'developer support' they mean that a developer is
actively developing for a given platform or product.

Even developers need a means of support.

so what? that's not the topic.

when someone says 'developers do not support xyz' they mean that few,
if any developers are writing for that platform and chances are that
platform will fade away.

that's how the term is used. his definition is wrong. end of story.

My definition is correct in the sentence I used.

but incorrect for the discussion.

There is no "end of the story" where you are concerned. You will
always continue to argue.

only as long as you refuse to acknowledge you're wrong.

and you are wrong.

Yep. By definition.

Eric Stevens
Old September 14th 15, 05:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 20:10:45 -0700, Savageduck
On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 17:28:57 -0700, Savageduck
On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 15:45:46 -0700, Savageduck
On 2015-09-13 22:25:04 +0000, Eric Stevens said:
On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 11:41:40 +0100, David Taylor
wrote:

Le Snip

You can most certainly move a file from one device to another in Win-10!
Select the files, and use the right mouse button. When you release
the mouse button, it allows either move or copy in addition to Create
shortcut.

Once again I was talking about W7. This time when copying files into
Dropbox. Suddenly, when selecting a file with left-click, dragging
didn't just copy a file into Dropbox: it moved it, leaving nothing in
the directory from which it had come.

From a Mac users perspective, that is the way Dropbox works. With OSX,
and I suspect various versions of Windows, there are several ways to
load a file into Dropbox.

1: With the Dropbox folder you can drag the file from its primary
location and it is moved to the desktop DB folder from its original
location, and copied to the DB server. The file will only exist in the
Dropbox desktop folder or sub-folder.

2: Right click on the file icon and select "Move to Dropbox" from the
pop-up menu. The file is moved from its original location to the
desktop Dropbox folder. It is not copied.

On my Windows computer it's "Send to" and then choosing Dropbox. The
file is copied to Dropbox but remains the folder from where it was
sent. Just tried it. I did this by going to StartComputer(file
folder)

When I right-click on a file this is the menu I get with "Move to
Dropbox", and it moves it to the DB desktop folder. It does not copy it.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_294.jpg

Different platforms, different actions result, I guess.

Yup.

3: Using the Dropbox web interface, left click and drag the file to the
location on the DB web page and drop. The file is copied to the DB
server and the original remains unmolested in its original position. It
will also place a copy into the Dropbox desktop folder, or sub-folder.

I'm not sure what you mean by the Dropbox web interface. When I open
Dropbox on the web, I don't have access to a folder to drag from.

Why not?
All I do is open a folder with the image files and pull that on top of
the open Dropbox web site location on my web browser. I select the
image I want in DB, I left-click on it, hold and drag to the browser
window and drop. That is all that is needed.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_293.jpg

I use the import icon to add a file to Dropbox, and this imports a copy.
I could open a separate window and try to drag, but this seems much
more complicated than simply importing.

What could be simpler that drag & drop?

That seems to be a matter of personal preference. I do drag and drop
in some cases, but it often doesn't "hold" when I start to drag. Maybe
it's because I use a trackball, or maybe I just don't have the touch.
I don't think it's a matter of which is the best way as long as the
action is effected.

I use an MS Trackball Optical. It has been my favorite input device for
years. I guess I am just better practiced than you.
http://www.shareware-beach.com/photos/J1282752.jpg

BTW...did you ever check to see if your Dropbox items are viewable on
your iPad when offline?

I just turned off WiFi on my iPad so it is offline, and opened Dropbox.
I got the following DB message, "Unable to Load Recent Files". In
actuallity it is unable to load any files.

Strange. I happened to be out with my iPad today and opened Dropbox
when not online. All images in my Dropbox were viewable.

Looks like things are not standardized for all users of all devices.

Do you have cellular data for your iPad, or do you just use WiFi?

Go to settings and turn off WiFi, and make sure cellular data is not
active, then try to access DB. What you are saying just doesn't make
sense.

Just did it. I'm in the house within reach of my router, but turned
off wifi. Dropbox images still pop up without a problem. Then left
wifi turned off and turned Airplane mode on as nospam suggests.
Dropbox images still appear without a problem. There is no difference
in viewing my Dropbox account using the Dropbox app on my iPad any way
I change things or with wifi on and active.

I am downloading a bunch of app updates on my iPad, which returned the
negative offline results. So I just tried with my iPhone in Airplane
mode, cell off, WiFi off. I even marked two images as favorites as
suggested by nospam. Anyway, I'll be damned!! Dropbox worked just fine
displaying all the images on the server not just the favorites.
So, there is something going on with DB and my iPad. I am still baffled
as to how your iPad and my iPhone can access the DB server while
offline.

I don't think the marking as a favorite makes any difference.

I'm not sure what a cellular data setting is on my iPad. All I can
tell you is that my cellular provider, AT&T, doesn't even know about
the existence of my iPad. No phone connections at all.

Do you have a WiFi + Cell iPad? I do, but I have yet to use the iPad
cellular data.
If you do, and you need to use cellular data you purchase a block of
broad band from your provider via your iPad.

I haven't had to do that as I use my iPhone 5S as an LTE/4G WiFi
hotspot which works just fine.

nospam has explained it in another post. If I can do what he says,
your should be able to do the same thing.

I can't provide you with any more information other than I have no
problem viewing everything in my Dropbox account regardless of where I
am or whether I am online or offline.

I am going to investigate this further. Stay tuned.

Maybe it's a secret benefit afforded me by Apple in compensation for
not depleting their inventory of a 5 or 5S back when.

;-)

Savageduck