Foxit Reader is EVIL

Old August 29th 15, 03:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

Default Foxit Reader is EVIL

On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 19:02:02 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

Like I said, it was a bug, and the feature *was* disabled. It some
part of it ran anyway, and continuously for hours. I didn't see any
explanation from Foxit of what exactly was happening, what it was
reading, or what it was writing.

if it's a bug, then it'll get fixed in the next update, and given its
severity, likely rather quickly.

You'd think. I found it was also installed on a Win 10 computer, and
there were no issues.

And you might think
that I've had no experience with Mac's, but I have. My experience was
horrible. It was so slow, I nearly fell asleep. It would literally
take minutes to find and open a database record. You'd think they
would have had a better system by the late 70's, but nooooo. I hope
they're better now.

that sounds like you haven't used a mac in a long time,

Yeah, 35 or so years is a long time.

given that adobe originally created pdf, new features are more likely
to be in *their* apps and not others, not to mention full compatibility
with the spec.

Of course, but they would have to choose to add them to Reader,
instead of leaving them exclusively in Acrobat.

acrobat reader is a reader. it even says so in its name.

As is the free Foxit Reader. Adobe Reader now has some of those
capabilities.

however, it's an example of why windows has serious issues.

I see an example of buggy code in a black box called Foxit Cloud. Why
it would be reading and writing to a hard drive when it's not even
enabled is beyond me, unless it was searching for all PDF's, and then
indexing them for some purpose, just in case I enabled it later.

Windows will always have issues, but it's getting much more stable. I
haven't had anything disappear for quite some time now...
Old August 29th 15, 03:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 19:37:23 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

| Of course, but they would have to choose to add them to Reader,
| instead of leaving them exclusively in Acrobat.
|
| acrobat reader is a reader. it even says so in its name.
|
| it's not intended to be an editor. for editing, you get the full
| acrobat.

I'm guessing that he's talking about free options
here. There's no need to pay hundreds of dollars
for Acrobat when free software will do the basics,
like filling in forms.

Exactly. I have no need for Acrobat at this time. Reading PDF's,
Typewriter, and Signature are everything I need.
Old August 29th 15, 12:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

Like I said, it was a bug, and the feature *was* disabled. It some
part of it ran anyway, and continuously for hours. I didn't see any
explanation from Foxit of what exactly was happening, what it was
reading, or what it was writing.

if it's a bug, then it'll get fixed in the next update, and given its
severity, likely rather quickly.

You'd think. I found it was also installed on a Win 10 computer, and
there were no issues.

what version of windows exhibited the bug and did you report it?

And you might think
that I've had no experience with Mac's, but I have. My experience was
horrible. It was so slow, I nearly fell asleep. It would literally
take minutes to find and open a database record. You'd think they
would have had a better system by the late 70's, but nooooo. I hope
they're better now.

that sounds like you haven't used a mac in a long time,

Yeah, 35 or so years is a long time.

considering that the mac is 31.5 years old (january, 1984), that would
be a neat trick.

assuming you mean a mac of the 80s, that's a bogus comparison with macs
of today. quite a bit has changed since then and all computers back
then were slow anyway.

what would you say if someone said they tried windows 1.0 and thought
it sucked (which it did) so they haven't used windows since?

I see an example of buggy code in a black box called Foxit Cloud. Why
it would be reading and writing to a hard drive when it's not even
enabled is beyond me, unless it was searching for all PDF's, and then
indexing them for some purpose, just in case I enabled it later.

Windows will always have issues, but it's getting much more stable. I
haven't had anything disappear for quite some time now...

disappear? why would anything disappear??

why would anyone use a system where things did disappear?
Old August 29th 15, 12:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

on a mac, none of that is necessary since pdf is a native format, just
like plain text.

I suspect that by that definition, so too is JPG.

nope.

the graphics engine on a mac is based on pdf. it's as native as it gets.

And PDF is based on Postscript.

did you have a point?
Old August 29th 15, 04:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 07:49:33 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

Like I said, it was a bug, and the feature *was* disabled. It some
part of it ran anyway, and continuously for hours. I didn't see any
explanation from Foxit of what exactly was happening, what it was
reading, or what it was writing.

if it's a bug, then it'll get fixed in the next update, and given its
severity, likely rather quickly.

You'd think. I found it was also installed on a Win 10 computer, and
there were no issues.

what version of windows exhibited the bug and did you report it?

8.1, and that seemed to be the OS in all the complaints I did see.
Foxit sure knows about it.

And you might think
that I've had no experience with Mac's, but I have. My experience was
horrible. It was so slow, I nearly fell asleep. It would literally
take minutes to find and open a database record. You'd think they
would have had a better system by the late 70's, but nooooo. I hope
they're better now.

that sounds like you haven't used a mac in a long time,

Yeah, 35 or so years is a long time.

considering that the mac is 31.5 years old (january, 1984), that would
be a neat trick.

I believe it was an Apple II. God, that thing was slow.

assuming you mean a mac of the 80s, that's a bogus comparison with macs
of today. quite a bit has changed since then and all computers back
then were slow anyway.

I'm sure even the Mac of the 80's was way better than the one I used.

what would you say if someone said they tried windows 1.0 and thought
it sucked (which it did) so they haven't used windows since?

Trust me, there's no connection between my experience of the 70's and
my choices today. In fact, there's no connection between Apple
quality, and my choices today. And when I first started. Macs were
thought to be better for some uses, and Windows PC's for others. And
then there was price, software availability, etc.

I see an example of buggy code in a black box called Foxit Cloud. Why
it would be reading and writing to a hard drive when it's not even
enabled is beyond me, unless it was searching for all PDF's, and then
indexing them for some purpose, just in case I enabled it later.

Windows will always have issues, but it's getting much more stable. I
haven't had anything disappear for quite some time now...

disappear? why would anything disappear??

I used to write some of my own utility software. I remember once when
I left out the code to delete the file chosen in the file dialogue
box, and my code ended up deleting random files. So ****ty code would
be one thing...

why would anyone use a system where things did disappear?

The most recent one was a music file. I believe it was the music
software, not Windows. I never did find that file. Another hilarious
one was back in the days of Win 3.1. I was rushing to complete a large
assignment when I copied a Word file onto the end of another Word
file. The resulting file exceeded the size limit for Word, and the
file would no longer open. The top half of the file was just gone. Why
would a program, or an OS, let me do this? Those were the days, eh?
Old August 29th 15, 04:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-08-29 15:02:40 +0000, Bill W said:

On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 07:49:33 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

[...]

An Apple II isn't a Mac.
....and depending on what you were running it was quite fast for the day.

assuming you mean a mac of the 80s, that's a bogus comparison with macs
of today. quite a bit has changed since then and all computers back
then were slow anyway.

I'm sure even the Mac of the 80's was way better than the one I used.

Well you told us you weren't even using a Mac.

Old August 29th 15, 06:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 8/28/2015 6:12 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Mayayana

snip

despite the fact that there's
really no reason to view PDFs in a browser
window.

nonsense. that is without question, the best way to read a pdf hosted
on line. one click and you can read it.

Thousands of people read a PDF off line. Some even print it out for
markup. They use an old fashioned tool called a marking pen. And the
marked up document is even circulated by sneaker net. Sheesh. What an
inefficient way to work.

--
PeterN
Old August 29th 15, 06:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 8/28/2015 7:40 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| Of course, but they would have to choose to add them to Reader,
| instead of leaving them exclusively in Acrobat.
|
| acrobat reader is a reader. it even says so in its name.
|
| it's not intended to be an editor. for editing, you get the full
| acrobat.

I'm guessing that he's talking about free options
here. There's no need to pay hundreds of dollars
for Acrobat when free software will do the basics,
like filling in forms.

on a mac, there's no need to install anything. you can even fill out a
form directly in a browser window and then save or print it directly.

BREAKING NEWS:

A lot of businesses use Windows systems.

--
PeterN
Old August 29th 15, 08:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

Like I said, it was a bug, and the feature *was* disabled. It some
part of it ran anyway, and continuously for hours. I didn't see any
explanation from Foxit of what exactly was happening, what it was
reading, or what it was writing.

if it's a bug, then it'll get fixed in the next update, and given its
severity, likely rather quickly.

You'd think. I found it was also installed on a Win 10 computer, and
there were no issues.

what version of windows exhibited the bug and did you report it?

8.1, and that seemed to be the OS in all the complaints I did see.
Foxit sure knows about it.

then they'll fix it. if they don't, they're stupid.

And you might think
that I've had no experience with Mac's, but I have. My experience was
horrible. It was so slow, I nearly fell asleep. It would literally
take minutes to find and open a database record. You'd think they
would have had a better system by the late 70's, but nooooo. I hope
they're better now.

that sounds like you haven't used a mac in a long time,

Yeah, 35 or so years is a long time.

considering that the mac is 31.5 years old (january, 1984), that would
be a neat trick.

I believe it was an Apple II. God, that thing was slow.

that's not a mac.

assuming you mean a mac of the 80s, that's a bogus comparison with macs
of today. quite a bit has changed since then and all computers back
then were slow anyway.

I'm sure even the Mac of the 80's was way better than the one I used.

could be.

what would you say if someone said they tried windows 1.0 and thought
it sucked (which it did) so they haven't used windows since?

Trust me, there's no connection between my experience of the 70's and
my choices today. In fact, there's no connection between Apple
quality, and my choices today. And when I first started. Macs were
thought to be better for some uses, and Windows PC's for others. And
then there was price, software availability, etc.

that' still the case.

for accounting, windows is a better choice, as accounting software on
mac is lacking. on the other hand, for graphic arts, photography and
video editing, macs are a better choice.

I see an example of buggy code in a black box called Foxit Cloud. Why
it would be reading and writing to a hard drive when it's not even
enabled is beyond me, unless it was searching for all PDF's, and then
indexing them for some purpose, just in case I enabled it later.

Windows will always have issues, but it's getting much more stable. I
haven't had anything disappear for quite some time now...

disappear? why would anything disappear??

I used to write some of my own utility software. I remember once when
I left out the code to delete the file chosen in the file dialogue
box, and my code ended up deleting random files. So ****ty code would
be one thing...

that's a bug in your app, not a bug in the system.

why would anyone use a system where things did disappear?

The most recent one was a music file. I believe it was the music
software, not Windows. I never did find that file.

that is a perfect example of why mucking directly with the file system
is bad and is ultimately going to go away.

Another hilarious
one was back in the days of Win 3.1. I was rushing to complete a large
assignment when I copied a Word file onto the end of another Word
file. The resulting file exceeded the size limit for Word, and the
file would no longer open. The top half of the file was just gone. Why
would a program, or an OS, let me do this? Those were the days, eh?

that's another example of a buggy app.
Old August 29th 15, 08:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

despite the fact that there's
really no reason to view PDFs in a browser
window.

nonsense. that is without question, the best way to read a pdf hosted
on line. one click and you can read it.

Thousands of people read a PDF off line. Some even print it out for
markup. They use an old fashioned tool called a marking pen. And the
marked up document is even circulated by sneaker net. Sheesh. What an
inefficient way to work.

more of your stupid arguments.

do they print every web page to read it?
do they print every photo to look at it?
do they print every email to read it?

no, they don't. they read/view it on the computer.

obviously, if they need a paper copy for some reason, such as filing a
brief with the court, they would need to print it, but that's not the
issue being discussed.