A 45 minute drive away

Old August 28th 15, 11:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Anonymous Remailer (austria)

Default A 45 minute drive away

In article
PeterN wrote:

On 8/26/2015 6:00 AM, Anonymous wrote:
In article
PeterN wrote:

On 8/25/2015 9:33 AM, PeterN wrote:
On 8/25/2015 7:11 AM, Anonymous wrote:
In article
PeterN wrote:

This is an old image, which could have been taken in any one of a number
of countries, was taken in Coney Island. Shows one doesn't have to
travel far.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6ft06ubmm6l3ww/fishermen%20at%20dusk.jpg?dl=0

Where in Coney Island was this taken? I've seen plenty of people
using rods and reels fishing there, but I've never seen two guys
using nets to drag the shallows.

On the Northwest side, facing the VZ bridge. There is a housing
development, with a small park across the street.

Clarification. I just checked a map. It was a little East of 37th St. &
Bayview Ave.

Ah. Coney Island Creek Park. I am more likely to be found on the
southern terminus of W. 37 St.

That area can be a little rough at times.

I know. When I was first dating my wife we would often go to Nathan's,
well after midnight. (Something I would not do now.) I also was in a
reserve unit at Ft. Hamilton, and send someone to Nathan's for a 6:00 AM
hot dog run. There is good reason why there were eight of us there. But,
sometimes one has to take a risk to get decent shots.

I remember well some runs to Nathan's in the wee hours decades ago.
Now Nathan's closes at 1 AM, and they only open at 9 AM. No more 24
hour service.

I've taken some risky shots at Coney Island and elsewhere, all
right. Some can be risky from natural forces, where I'm leaning too
far over an edge to get a shot clear of some strut or something,
and others can be risky because of the local bipeds with bad
attitudes.

BTW Have you been going to the Mermaid Parade? I go about every other year.

I stopped going years ago. Brooklyn has become fashionable to
people who care about fashion and are adamant about following it.
Too many annoying people at the Mermaid Parade made me decide to
skip it permanently. I have also been told that the police have
become very unpleasant now that it's so crowded. And they have the
Coney Island barricaded off in ways that are not conducive to
having a good time.

I hope you got your shots of the old Child's Restaurant, with its
ceramic medallions, down on the Boardwalk some time ago. They've
gutted it preparatory to making some "Arts Center" out of it. This
thing is to be used for performances and concerts, and not only
will its new incarnation be taking up the vacant lot next to the
building but it will also take up the (short) city block right next
to it. They're calling those parts an amphitheater. I am told that
the ceramics have been put aside to be re-installed after the
building is rebuilt. I think that Child's was landmarked. You
wouldn't know that from the way it's being treated now. It's going
to be largely George Washington's ax when they're done.

Old August 29th 15, 05:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

On 8/28/2015 6:32 PM, Anonymous Remailer (austria) wrote:

PeterN wrote:

[...]

Here is one of my dumber shots. A T storm was coming in:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/storm%20arriving%20at%20Port%20Washington.jpg

As to the bipeds, I usually ask permission. That avoids a lot of issues.
One time at the zoo some wise guys tried to hassle me. I simply took out
my cell phone, and they took off.

BTW Have you been going to the Mermaid Parade? I go about every other year.

I stopped going years ago. Brooklyn has become fashionable to
people who care about fashion and are adamant about following it.
Too many annoying people at the Mermaid Parade made me decide to
skip it permanently. I have also been told that the police have
become very unpleasant now that it's so crowded. And they have the
Coney Island barricaded off in ways that are not conducive to
having a good time.

I have two parking areas when we go. If we are not too early we park at
the Aquarium. (My membership includes parking.) When early we are
usually able to find on street parking North of within a few blocks of
the staging area. None of us really like to stay for the parade itself,
but the staging area, which is divided into two areas, (one family
friendly,) still has a lot of interesting characters. About the time the
parade starts w ego to Jordan's for clams, lobster and beer. (Makes for
a fun day, and since it is the day before Father's Day, my wife gives me
special dispensation.)

I hope you got your shots of the old Child's Restaurant, with its
ceramic medallions, down on the Boardwalk some time ago. They've
gutted it preparatory to making some "Arts Center" out of it. This
thing is to be used for performances and concerts, and not only
will its new incarnation be taking up the vacant lot next to the
building but it will also take up the (short) city block right next
to it. They're calling those parts an amphitheater. I am told that
the ceramics have been put aside to be re-installed after the
building is rebuilt. I think that Child's was landmarked. You
wouldn't know that from the way it's being treated now. It's going
to be largely George Washington's ax when they're done.

I don't remember where that was. There is an old bathhouse with
interesting tiles on the outside. Is that what you are talking about?

--
PeterN